Can't turn Wi-Fi on after Android update but it still works!

snapshot

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
My Tab Pro 8.4 received an OTA update a few days ago although it's still on 4.4.2 afterwards. But now I can't turn on Wi-Fi - I can move the Wi-Fi slider to the right but it stays greyed out - although Wi-Fi obviously is still working as I can access the Internet and the Tab is receiving app updates. Obviously (I hope) there's no list of available SSIDs.

Anyone else had this and fixed it? Is my best option to try a factory reset?

(Also in Android 4.4 forum)

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My Tab Pro 8.4 received an OTA update a few days ago although it's still on 4.4.2 afterwards. But now I can't turn on Wi-Fi - I can move the Wi-Fi slider to the right but it stays greyed out - although Wi-Fi obviously is still working as I can access the Internet and the Tab is receiving app updates. Obviously (I hope) there's no list of available SSIDs.

Factory reset should fix it. Updates don't seem to work very well anymore it seems.

AnciusD

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the warning. I'm never in a rush to update because of things like this happening.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

ActualMichael

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
The update worked fine for me. I haven't seen any problems yet, but I'll be sure to post if something comes up.

Posted via the Android Central App

ActualMichael

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
BTW, does anyone know what this update did? I'm not seeing any user facing improvements. I'm wondering if changes were behind the scenes stuff

Posted via the Android Central App

snapshot

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm pleased to say a factory reset fixed the problem and everything seems to have been automatically restored from my Google backup. I've no idea what the update was supposed to do and I doubt we'll ever know. I felt battery consumption was improved but I'll have to check again now I've reset everything.

AnciusD

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm pleased to say a factory reset fixed the problem and everything seems to have been automatically restored from my Google backup. I've no idea what the update was supposed to do and I doubt we'll ever know. I felt battery consumption was improved but I'll have to check again now I've reset everything.

Hope it does improve battery consumption. My one worry about this tab.

snapshot

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's gone again. Still works on the normal SSID but no signal indicator at the top of the screen and no list of SSIDs in Settings. I think I'll just put up with it until the next update comes along. It's only going to be a problem if I want Wi-Fi access away from home so I'll just take something else when that's likely.

AnciusD

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Well, it's gone again. Still works on the normal SSID but no signal indicator at the top of the screen and no list of SSIDs in Settings. I think I'll just put up with it until the next update comes along. It's only going to be a problem if I want Wi-Fi access away from home so I'll just take something else when that's likely.

Well, that sucks.

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Ive had this since I bought the Tab Pro last year. To get the signal indicator back I usually go into Airplane mode and back out and it comes back. When I have the WiFi set to be on only when plugged in it seems to do it when it comes out of sleep and tries to reconnect to the wifi.

snapshot

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Award yourself an Easter egg! Going in and out of Airplane mode has restored the signal indicator (at least for the moment) and, as I did have Wi-Fi set to only be on when plugged in, I've turned that off. We'll see how it holds up. Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Julius McCue

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I just installed the update. My wifi is working fine. First impression it seems faster.

Sent from my SM-T320

The first thing I did was run a speed test because my signal has been questionable from the day I purchased my tablet. I must say it was the best numbers I've seen ever. Also I'm getting 5 bars in areas where I have been struggling to hold 3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci