Issue with Slow Charging Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

jbui93

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I just recently purchased a Galaxy Tab pro 8.4 for myself and I noticed that the tablet takes a REALLY long time to recharge.
The battery life itself is perfectly fine, I can easily get 7+ hours SoT out of it with what I do on it, but right now it takes so long to recharge the tablet.
I get about 7% an hour with the tablet turned off and plugged into the wall to charge.
I timed it today and this is what I got (starting from 0%)

Battery at:
0% at 2:40pm
13% at 4:40pm
25% at 6:30pm
32% at 7:30pm
38% at 8:30pm

6 hours to get 40% charge? That doesn't seem right, I read reviews on this tablet and people were saying they got a full charge from 10-20% in a couple hours.

Any idea what the problem could be or how to fix this?

edit: The charger adapter I use says it is a travel adapter 5.0V/2.0A it came with the tablet along with the cable I use

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Follow these steps you will find out, nobody can give you a specific answer for many unknowns: bad adapter or cable or USB port or battery or battery connector....At least you must have another known working adapter and cable to try first. When charging, the voltage should be 5V-->5.2V, current should be around 1.5A-->1.7A.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...te-pro-12-2-charging-so-slow.html#post4445869

USB charge port flex cable, you should have one as sooner or later, it will break: only $6 to $8. Taking the rear cover off, this flex cable has only 2 screws to hold it.
Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 charging port | eBay

This video is example of how to take the rear cover off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEVFYQksmxM

Last edited:

Daz2014

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
A genuine Samsung charger and cable should charge completely in a couple of hours from my experience.
Using other chargers makes a big difference,especially if you use a 1 amp charger,that can take half a day
If it has taken a long time to charge from new I'd take it back and get a replacement

jbui93

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys I'll give your suggestions a try, for now I'm ordering a new USB cable and will get a USB charge port flex cable afterwards if the problem persists.

Daz2014

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys I'll give your suggestions a try, for now I'm ordering a new USB cable and will get a USB charge port flex cable afterwards if the problem persists.

You say you've just bought the tablet.It's got a 2 year Samsung warranty.Don't go opening it up you'll void the warranty.If it's not charging with the original charger take it back under warranty

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You say you've just bought the tablet.It's got a 2 year Samsung warranty.Don't go opening it up you'll void the warranty.If it's not charging with the original charger take it back under warranty

I confirm that nothing to void the warranty as Samsung tablets don't have any kind of seal tape inside unless you break something when open it. Most people do damages to the case by prying open it the wrong way and did not do a search to learn how to open the tablet properly. Someone even use metal tools like a knife or screw driver to pry open the case, leave all dents and damaged marks on the case, this is when you void the warranty by silly mistakes.

Last edited:

AnciusD

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if I would let go down to 0 % before recharging. Isn't that commonly ill-advised? Usually, I will recharge after it gets down to 30%.

jbui93

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't often let my devices get to 0% either, I did it in this case because I heard it's a good idea to drain your battery down to 0 and charge it up to full when its new. I hadn't done it when I first got it so I figured I might as well do it now and time the recharge speed.

Don Foster

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My charge time sucks too.
Even if your battery level were to say 0 I would think you truly would have some juice left in the lithium battery for safety purpose.
The Lithium family of batteries catch fire or puff up when overly discharged so there is some form of bec or battery eliminating circuit to protect the battery from harming itself or you. All this being said you should be safe recharging with no ill effect from any percentage.
JMO

jbui93

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Just an update for anyone who happens to have this problem in the future I ended up buying a new USB cable, but when I got it my charging adapter broke so I got a new adapter as well and it charges perfectly fine now.

DaddyStressed

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I just recently purchased a Galaxy Tab pro 8.4 for myself and I noticed that the tablet takes a REALLY long time to recharge.
The battery life itself is perfectly fine, I can easily get 7+ hours SoT out of it with what I do on it, but right now it takes so long to recharge the tablet.
I get about 7% an hour with the tablet turned off and plugged into the wall to charge.
I timed it today and this is what I got (starting from 0%)

Battery at:
0% at 2:40pm
13% at 4:40pm
25% at 6:30pm
32% at 7:30pm
38% at 8:30pm

6 hours to get 40% charge? That doesn't seem right, I read reviews on this tablet and people were saying they got a full charge from 10-20% in a couple hours.

Any idea what the problem could be or how to fix this?

edit: The charger adapter I use says it is a travel adapter 5.0V/2.0A it came with the tablet along with the cable I use

DaddyStressed

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I could have it on my charger while using it and the charge would still build up. Now while not using, it takes 5 hours just to get it to 46 percent. Thought it was the cord and base but switched them out and I'm still having the same problem.

AnciusD

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I could have it on my charger while using it and the charge would still build up. Now while not using, it takes 5 hours just to get it to 46 percent. Thought it was the cord and base but switched them out and I'm still having the same problem.

Wonder if the power, vol +/- would work on the 8.4.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ng-galaxy-tab-2-7-0-not-charging-booting.html

Try holding all the buttons (volume up and down, and power) in at the same time for about ten seconds while the device is plugged into the charger.

This seems to reset the tablet and its charging circuit.

You may have to allow it to charge some more after that before it will power on.

The lithium ion batteries in these tablets aren't designed to be completely drained, and doing so can damage them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34