SD software bug or hardware issue?

Eddhick

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
That's good then. When did yours update out of interest and which version of Android are you currently on? I only got my tab a few days ago and haven't seen any updates for it yet.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it should be doing it when waking up, only when you restart it. Sounds like there may be a problem with the card itself.

Nattuggla

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
I ordered two of those tablets for a project. The first arrived three weeks ago and showed the "An SD card has been inserted"-notification at startup and when woken up after sleep mode. After some discussions with the Swedish Samsung support I was asked to send in the device for service. When I got it back they had changed the card reader. At first it appeared as if the SD card-message was gone. It turned out that the SD card had been damaged during repair. I tested the device with another card and now the SD card-message would appear, but only after reboot. But still. The support then asked me to send the device to them again. It has been there for a week now. Yesterday the second tablet arrived. I started up the device and could see that the SD card-message would not appear on this device after sleep mode. However, it appears after each reboot. This is a bit frustrating. If the device is supposed to show the message after each reboot, then I could of course live with that (even though that would be an unnecessary piece of information to have displayed after each reboot). If however this message is not supposed to be displayed like this, then I naturally would want the problem fixed since then it could be a symptom of a larger problem - for example something which drains the battery or makes the SD storage unreliable in some way. However, it seems that Samsung is unable to deliver a clear message on whether the SD card message after reboot is an error or just something that is supposed to be there. I have posed this question directly to Samsung. No reply yet.

Last edited:

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine displays this message each time the tablet is restarted, never on wake up. It is a bit annoying and unnecessary IMO because it makes you think there is some problem with card, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to disable this notification. Strangely I've never seen anything similar on any of my other Samsung devices, so I assume it must be a software bug and we'll just have to live with it for now.

Capt Grant

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Device: Tab S 8.4"
SD card: SanDisk Extreme 64GB
I used the card for two months, without any "SD card is inserted" message appearing. Last week I switched the card to an S5 for a week, & when I put it back in the Tab S I've been getting the pop up every time I restart the device from "off". I've reformatted it twice, to no avail. I just tried an old Verbatim SD card, 2GB, and there was no pop up. It seems to be a SanDisk problem. I'll try another SanDisk card ater this week. Hope this helps.

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I am getting this message with a Samsung 64GB Pro card so I doubt if it's anything to do with SanDisk, but of course I could be wrong.

drol343

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
  1. I have had my Tab S 10.5 since Dec 2014.
  2. Had no such issue for months.
  3. Same Micro SD card in slot. It is NOT an SD Card issue... it is a Samsung issue!
  4. I started getting these Notifications at Startup and randomly... AFTER the Lollipop 5 updates..
  5. BUT after this Notification appears... ALL the Apps I have installed on my SD Card are Grayed Out and will not execute. Occasionally, they will "spontaneously Self Heal" and work???
  6. Since Samsung chooses to "mess" with Mother Nature's virgin Lollipop... they have created these issues and seem awfully slow at correcting them!
  7. Do any of you Samsung Tech employees review this site? Any comments?

strexlex

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm having a major issue with the SD card in my Galaxy Tab S 10.5... I originally purchased a 128G card and the card just played up I could not play files nor would it copy across when my tablet was connected via USB. I put this down to a faulty SD card and sent it back to the vendor for a full refund.. I then went and bought another 128G SD card and copied files video & audio to it whilst it was inserted into the tablet. All worked well for a while until just recently whilst watching a video the device went to black screen and rebooted.. Then I noticed the tablet would take for ages to boot up and the files not play. After removing the card the tablet seemed to work fine. With the card now placed in the PC I could clearly see and play the files and I decided to format the card in a PC. I then copied multiple MP3 files in folder to the card and placed it into the tablet - All the folders were there but there were no MP3 files within the folders. I took the card out and placed it in the PC and reformatted again (FAT32 long method). Replacing the card into the tablet I copied one MP3 file and played it successfully on the tablet.. Thinking I was on the home straight - I proceeded to copy many more MP3 files some in and some not within folders plus multiple video files (AVI, MP4).. whilst connected to the tablet via USB... All MP3 files correctly copied across and I could see the correct contents of my SD card. My video played successfully with MX Player.. But when I went to play an audio file using the standard music app supplied by Samsung..It said the MP3 file was not recognized by the device .. I tried the first single MP3 file that had worked earlier and received the same message ... that it was not supported .. This was weird as for the last six months the app worked as expected.. I then tried top play the audio files using other apps such as MX Player and VLC apps and again the files were not recognized as a playable format.. When I looked at the music folders that I had copied earlier with content none of the files within or not within folders displayed. Rather weird .. So I took the SD card out of the tablet placed it back in the PC an can see all the files but am no longer able to play the files.Whats weird is all the video files work as expected when in the PC.

This has been driving me mad now for months ...If anyone has any idea how I may resolve this issue .. I'm all ears

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a major issue with the SD card in my Galaxy Tab S 10.5... I originally purchased a 128G card and the card just played up I could not play files nor would it copy across when my tablet was connected via USB. I put this down to a faulty SD card and sent it back to the vendor for a full refund.. I then went and bought another 128G SD card and copied files video & audio to it whilst it was inserted into the tablet. All worked well for a while until just recently whilst watching a video the device went to black screen and rebooted.. Then I noticed the tablet would take for ages to boot up and the files not play. After removing the card the tablet seemed to work fine. With the card now placed in the PC I could clearly see and play the files and I decided to format the card in a PC. I then copied multiple MP3 files in folder to the card and placed it into the tablet - All the folders were there but there were no MP3 files within the folders. I took the card out and placed it in the PC and reformatted again (FAT32 long method). Replacing the card into the tablet I copied one MP3 file and played it successfully on the tablet.. Thinking I was on the home straight - I proceeded to copy many more MP3 files some in and some not within folders plus multiple video files (AVI, MP4).. whilst connected to the tablet via USB... All MP3 files correctly copied across and I could see the correct contents of my SD card. My video played successfully with MX Player.. But when I went to play an audio file using the standard music app supplied by Samsung..It said the MP3 file was not recognized by the device .. I tried the first single MP3 file that had worked earlier and received the same message ... that it was not supported .. This was weird as for the last six months the app worked as expected.. I then tried top play the audio files using other apps such as MX Player and VLC apps and again the files were not recognized as a playable format.. When I looked at the music folders that I had copied earlier with content none of the files within or not within folders displayed. Rather weird .. So I took the SD card out of the tablet placed it back in the PC an can see all the files but am no longer able to play the files.Whats weird is all the video files work as expected when in the PC.

This has been driving me mad now for months ...If anyone has any idea how I may resolve this issue .. I'm all ears

Just a couple of thoughts:

Thought #1: SD cards can vary wildly in timing specifications as well as overall reliability. One must take care to buy reliable brands. Right now, the only reliable brand I can recommend is Samsung for SD cards. They're pricier, but you get what you pay for. SanDisk may offer quick replacement for failed SD cards no questions asked, but you'd rather not have to replace it at all, would you?

Thought #2: It is always best to format SD cards in the device in which it will be used (the tablet in your case) rather than a PC.

Good luck.

drol343

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I have contacted Samsung too many times to count on this issue.
Now they say it has to be sent in for repair!!!
This is a software issue, likely with Lollipop, I run Ver 5.02.
Why can't they send out an update?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
a 128G card
reformatted again (FAT32 long method).
In theory, FAT32 can handle up to 127.53 GB, but the device may not be able to handle it (it's system-dependent - Windows 2k would choke on it and later versions required 3rd party utilities to handle clusters larger than 64KB). Format it as exFAT (which can support volumes up to 128 PB without 3rd party interventions). The file size can also give you a problem,. If you try to write a file larger than 4GB to a FAT32 volume, it won't work. exFAT supports up to 16EB per file (and we're not likely to see cards that large for decades).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Right now, the only reliable brand I can recommend is Samsung for SD cards. They're pricier, but you get what you pay for. SanDisk may offer quick replacement for failed SD cards no questions asked, but you'd rather not have to replace it at all, would you?
Considering that SanDisk invented the technology, and is still the leader in it (and fixed Samsung's bug in 4.3 long before Samsung even admitted that there was a bug), I'll stick to SanDisk. I still have some of their cards rated in MB, not GB, with 2 digits (IOW, they're tripping on their grandkids' whiskers) and they still work fine. In fact, in all the years I've been buying their cards, the only one I ever had any problem with was one I cracked in half - and clumsiness isn't covered.

Samsung is good, but it's a difficult company to work with. (And those are really the only choices - SanDisk and Samsung make the chips used in the cards - everyone else buys SanDisk or Samsung chips.)

Thought #2: It is always best to format SD cards in the device in which it will be used (the tablet in your case) rather than a PC.
True, although most modern phones will take an already-formatted card (they come formatted properly for their type, FAT32 or exFAT) and redo the card on first insertion to add the folders Linux needs.

About the only reason to format a new card is to repartition it. If you want a FAT-type partition, so it's usable in other devices, and an ext-type partition for other reasons, you repartition and format. Otherwise, just open the package and put the card in the phone.

drol343

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Below is an Excerpt of my Chat with a Samsung Tech.
All they ever want to do is RESET the tablet and see " IF " that fixes any thing!
I have attached a Word .Doc below if preferable.

They want me to ship it back to them so they can practice their Brand of Support directly on the tablet! Somehow, I feel the worst thing I could do is put my tablet back in the control of Samsung Support... any thoughts? Note where the Rep said they had No Reports of this issue!

5/21/15... Excerpts from Chat with Samsung related to the Tab S 10.5 SD Card Issue

Den: My SD card no longer works on my Tab S 10.5... this seems to be a known problem on the internet
Robin C: Since when have you been facing this issue?
Den: Owned this since Nov 2014... no issues... then soon after the update to Lollipop 5.0 it has had problems.
Robin C: Is the SD card working fine before the update?
Den: That is what I said... soon after the update to Lollipop 5.0 it has had problems.
Robin C: Is the SD card working fine on other devices? (Is the Tech even paying attention?)
Den: Card works fine in my PC
Robin C: Thanks for confirming.
Robin C:  Let's RESET tablet and check “if” that helps. Unfortunately, you will lose all the user data.
Den:  No thank you... that is not a solution... it just creates more problems for the user.
Robin C: To isolate and resolve the issue, we have only two options:
Robin C: 1) Performing a Factory Data Reset.
Robin C: 2) Getting the tablet serviced.
Robin C:  I am afraid as of now, we do not have any reported issues. (Has no one else reported this?)
Den:  That is incorrect... I know I have reported this before!
Robin C: I understand that must make you feel upset. (I do not believe no other reports are filed!)
Robin C: Did you contact Samsung to report the issue?
Den: Who do you think I contacted to report a Samsung issue??? Apple???
Robin C: Did you contact via Chat support?
Den: Just a minute
Robin C: Please go ahead.
Den: April 1... Samsung Website
Den: April 15... Samsung Website
Robin C: Thanks for confirming.
Den: April 6... Samsung website
Robin C:  We appreciate customers telling us when thing are not right.
Den:  And I would appreciate if Samsung would respond to us and FIX the problems!
Robin C: I will leave a feedback on your behalf.
Robin C: To isolate and resolve the issue, please RESET the tablet. (She repeated this at least 6 times!)
Den:  Can you escalate this to a Much Higher Lever Tech???
Robin C: If you would like, I can escalate the issue to our appropriate department, you will receive a call within 2 business days. Is that okay with you?
Den: If I am not home will they leave me their Direct Callback Phone Number?
Robin C: Do you have an alternate contact number?
Den: No... and I don't carry my tablet around with me.
Robin C: Okay, I will escalate and provide with the ticket number. Please contact our voice support team and ask them to transfer the call to ECR department. Is that okay with you?
Robin C:  I wanted to make you aware of some really good support pages that are available to customers.
Samsung SPOT (Smart Personal Online Training) offers real-time Samsung support with a product expert through live video chat. visit us at Samsung SPOT Our hours of operation(currently) are: Monday to Friday / 10am to 7pm EDT.
If you are looking for more details on the functionality of a product or would like to find answers to some of the questions, visit us at SamsungSimulator for an interactive review of some of our Samsung products.
Robin C: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Den:  Will any of these so called Support Pages fix my issue? I don't have time to waste with things I don't specifically need.
Robin C:  No, those links are for additional support.
Den:  I have no idea why I would want to look at them then...
Robin C: Yes, to isolate the issue, please RESET the tablet.
Den: It won't isolate anything??? Just delete my data. Spend some time trying to FIX the issue

Attachments

• Chat on Tab S SD Card Issues - Excerpts 5-21-15.doc
    34 KB · Views: 11

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
  1. I have had my Tab S 10.5 since Dec 2014.
  2. Had no such issue for months.
  3. Same Micro SD card in slot. It is NOT an SD Card issue... it is a Samsung issue!
  4. I started getting these Notifications at Startup and randomly... AFTER the Lollipop 5 updates..
  5. BUT after this Notification appears... ALL the Apps I have installed on my SD Card are Grayed Out and will not execute. Occasionally, they will "spontaneously Self Heal" and work???
  6. Since Samsung chooses to "mess" with Mother Nature's virgin Lollipop... they have created these issues and seem awfully slow at correcting them!
  7. Do any of you Samsung Tech employees review this site? Any comments?

If the notification you are getting is erratic and sometimes "sorts itself out" then it is more than likely that the SD card is beginning to fail, because I haven't seen this "SD card inserted" message at all since I upgraded to Lollipop. I had a very similar issue with my phone and a Sandisk card where it kept unmounting and remounting itself for no reason, replaced it with a Samsung EVO one and never had a problem since.

drol343

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: SD software bug or hardware issue? Any new news?

Tab S 10.5 32 GB

Has there been any definite cause and fix found for this issue since May 2015?

Nothing I have tried per the posts has worked.

Any direct, detailed response found anywhere from Samsung?

Thanks!

Jnic117

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I think maybe someone is just a smart *** troll. It IS annoying and a pain to get an unnecessary notification EVERY single time you go touse your tablet . Tried looking everywhere in settings and cant find anything to get rid of it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power