SD software bug or hardware issue?

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy Tab S and love it. I am having an issue with the microSD card slot, and not sure if it is a software bug or hardware issue.

1. Every time I restart the tablet, the SD card remounts with a notification "An SD card has been inserted." I have never had this notification on any of my other Samsung devices.

2. Using ES File explorer, I cannot transfer files over... it will "failed to copy." However using the native My File by Samsung, it works fine.

3. I have tried two different microSD cards from different manufacturers and having the same problems.

Any one else having these issues?

---

Some digging around and (2) and (3) is a Kitkat issue, and nothing is wrong with my tablet.

Any one have the (1) symptom? It is not a big problem, just not what I have grown to expect.

Last edited:

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with the notification...tapped on the notification and it has not come back, even after restarting my tablet.

Posted via Android Central App

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy Tab S and love it. I am having an issue with the microSD card slot, and not sure if it is a software bug or hardware issue.

1. Every time I restart the tablet, the SD card remounts with a notification "An SD card has been inserted." I have never had this notification on any of my other Samsung devices.

2. Using ES File explorer, I cannot transfer files over... it will "failed to copy." However using the native My File by Samsung, it works fine.

3. I have tried two different microSD cards from different manufacturers and having the same problems.

Any one else having these issues?

---

Some digging around and (2) and (3) is a Kitkat issue, and nothing is wrong with my tablet.

Any one have the (1) symptom? It is not a big problem, just not what I have grown to expect.

Third party apps don't have permission to write to sdcard. Definitely not a hardware issue.

isosunrise

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. Upon restart or power off/on, does anyone else see the sd card insertion notification that needs to be clear each time? Only on system reboot, not normal login. The sd card works fine other than that, no problems recording video to it or playing videos from it.

I just came back from best buy, and there demos do the same thing. Just a software thing, no hardware problems here :).

Last edited:

LesC1

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
By notification, do you mean in the top left corner of the screen or a pop-up box?

Just got one myself & everytime it's swiched on there's an icon in the top left; if a swipe down to view notifications, it's there and can be cleared.

I've also noticed too that sometimes when 'waking' the tablet, a pop-up box appears saying "An SC card has been inserted". Wonder if that's because I cleared the notification mentioned above?

Is this the same as you're experiencing - I'm not too bothered about the notification (top left) on switch on but did wonder about the pop-up box?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Careful! It would be understandable if this notification pops up when you restart your tablet, BUT if you see the message appear randomly after you wake it up from standby, there could be something wrong with your card and it will definitely drain your battery (remember, every time your card is mounted, the system scans for media files).

LesC1

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks :) It seems it happened a few times whilst tablet was connected to charger but not seen it since taking off charge. Wonder if it was something to do with that? I'll see how it goes...

Maritz31

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me you have found a solution for this notification pop up... every time I restart my Tab S it pops up and really is such a pain!!!

Maritz31

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Well like said in the original post, not one of my previous devices reminded me constantly that there is an SD card inserted. So basically I would like it not to do it. Is this possible?

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well like said in the original post, not one of my previous devices reminded me constantly that there is an SD card inserted. So basically I would like it not to do it. Is this possible?

It's a thing that the tablet just does.... No way to changing it unless you flash another ROM on it I guess

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

blevitt3

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I saw something somewhere that this started happening after the last big update...no way around it. Yes, I agree it's a pain...oh well.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I think I saw something somewhere that this started happening after the last big update...no way around it. Yes, I agree it's a pain...oh well.

How is it a "pain"? It's a notification and not even a pop up.... Clear it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

DMXtech

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Its more than annoying pop-up. For instance, mine keeps kicking my Spotify downloaded music off my list because it doesn't see the flash drive inserted when it goes to sleep. Spotify actually notifies me that the drive was removed. I'm certain that there are probably other aps that will be affected by this "glitch" soon.

Also, this is only recently a problem, basically since my Galaxy Tab 3 auto-updated itself to KitKat. I've been trying to keep this one stock OS, but I think its time to load CM on it. Maybe that will fix it.

Does anyone have any issues with other ROMs?

tetractys

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
My new Tab S does the same thing. Doesn't do it on reboot; doesn't do it after I manually lock; always does it after time-out wake. SD card appears to be unmounted by the sleep and lock process, then remounted upon wake. This is a problem if I have an app that tries to keep the system awake, like streaming music. The system will stay awake, but the SD card appears to go ahead and unmount. Not certain yet of all the details, but this can be an issue, not a benign artifact of the way KitKat is working.

Quagprior

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Its a pain for the simple reasons that 1. We know an SD card has been inserted, we are the ones who put it there. And 2. Theres no reason to let me know that an SD card has been inserted when one was never removed and 3. Tablets do plenty of things on startup, why not give us notifications about other services and applications?

What is really a "pain" is common knowledge answers like "just clear it" as if we havent done it hundreds of times already. Thats like a tech support line asking you "is the device powered on?"

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 64gig Sandisk card and do NOT have this issue. Mine is a 16gig wifi Tab S 10.5

Eddhick

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the same annoying issue with my Wifi 16GB 10.5, I'm using a Sandisk Extreme 64gb which I have verified using h2testw and it shows full capacity and speed with no errors so it's not the card at fault.

I get so tired of clicking the popup notification then going over and clearing the ongoing notification too. I don't need to know it's there every few minutes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs