Charging Question

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I had a 16GB Tab S for 14 days and returned it for the 32GB. No trouble with the 16GB charging. I think this new tablet is having trouble. This morning after being plugged in all night and it's at 93%. Two days previous, I had run it down to around 20% watching movies. That night it woke me twice letting me know it needed to be plugged in. Checked to make sure it was properly plugged in. Making sure I got the connection sound. It turned it's self off and was at 15% in the morning.

I'm using the charger & cord that came with the unit, but I have a usb 3.0 extension inserted. This extension is the same one I used for the previous 16GB Tab S, my Note 2 and a Transformer tablet. I'll test the tablet without the extension, but this will make it extremely inconvenient. And is concerning to me.

What do you think, is this going to be a problem child?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you use any kind of extension for a cable, there will always be some chance it will interfere with the normal charging or data transfer capabilities.

But maybe there's something going on with the tablet that's making it run the battery down too quickly. Can you post screenshots of the battery stats? Show us the main screen on Settings>Battery, and also the fullscreen battery graph (to see if the device is staying awake for too much), and the Screen category (to see your Screen-On time).

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
You want to make sure it's the 3ft cord provided bc the longer the cord the long it takes to charger which you are experiencing.

Posted via Android Central App

No it Doesn't .... I am using the Cord I got with my S4 or S3 which I forgot which I got it from but is much longer then the included cable. That cable is about 4-6 feet long and charges it just as fast as the included cable

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. It charged perfectly when using the adapter and short cord that came with the unit. Not convient for my usage. I find it odd that my previous tablet charged well with the extension, but still happy with my Tab S.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
You can always get a cheap brown extension cord and plug the tablet in to that. It gives you an extra 3-5 feet

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, duh. You're a genius! I have it plugged into a wall-mounted surge protector. Time to get a regular surge protector which will give me the length.

mdrollins

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The Screensaver was setup on mine and didn't realize it since I close the cover to the Samsung book cover every night. When the Screensaver runs and it's plugged in, it doesn't charge at all.

ppophil

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my tab s 16 gigabyte. I plug it in at night at 10 hours later it's only at 70 percent charged. I'm not using any extension, just the charger that came with it

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. It charged perfectly when using the adapter and short cord that came with the unit. Not convient for my usage. I find it odd that my previous tablet charged well with the extension, but still happy with my Tab S.

It is pure physics of direct current. The connection of the extension cord reduces the wire's thickness that limits the amperage that flows through that connection. Low voltage power goes through the outer area of the wire and you just have a bottleneck at that junction where you plug in the extension with the tiny contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress