Brand new galaxy tab s breaks down

jtuk

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I bought my new tablet (10.5 bronze) just 2 weeks ago. I chose Samsung over iPad because of the beautiful screen and the ability use sd cards.
It has been just fine until today. Last night I was using it with no problems and left it in charge overnight.
In the morning I unplugged it and put it in the pouch I have for it ( it also has a cover I use for protection and for supporting it standing up on table when using) and put it in my bag. At lunch I took it out to do some emails but it would not come on! Then to my horror I noticed very fine hairline cracks (I think) across bottom left and right of the screen.
After work I took it to the the shop I bought it from and they said the cracks are from impact. That I must have dropped it! I have never dropped it or done anything unusual to it in these past two weeks. They said I would have to pay a lot if money to get it fixed! It is under warranty but they said not covered for this! I then went to a Samsung store (45 minute wait to be seen!!! Terrible service at their "smart service" desk and was told the same. £175 to fix it! I can't believe that something I have not done is being blamed and the staff imply I have done it when I know that I haven't! How do you know if the box had been thrown around in the shop which had caused initial weakness which then became that's full blown problem. Had I known Samsing machines can have this happen to them after you pay £400 for them and so soon after purchase. I am now left with no tablet and cannot afford to pay £175 more! It is a nightmare! Anyone else have a similar experience - it seems that with Samsung the customer is always wrong! Even when they are right!

20140824_131124586_iOS.jpg

20140824_131133690_iOS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear about the problem. I have found that when I have a laptop in a bag, I sometimes forget it's in there, and perhaps toss it around more than I should. And even if I'm being careful, there can be occasional jarring impacts when placing the bag on the floor or on a table. In addition, anything else that is in the bag might exert pressure on the tablet depending on its position.

Unfortunately, if the damage looks like it's due to impact, the burden is on the consumer to prove that it wasn't due to impact, which is typically very difficult to do (unless you happened to have a video showing the tablet screen spontaneously cracking).

Lakeuk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
The key is how likely was the damage to be caused between the overnight charge and you pulling out the bag the next day, I caused a crack screen on my old ipod trying to replace the battery, the cracks are obvious, can't be missed. Personally I'd by dubious whether knocks could cause hairline cracks at opposite ends of the screen, are there and marks on the surround, can you post some photos.

I take it you're in the UK, in which case your consumer rights are that in the first 6 months seller will need to prove that any faults that develop within the first six months are not due to a manufacturing problem. After this time, it’ll be down to you to prove a manufacturing fault is to blame. I'd push them for a replacement or refund under the sales of goods act, if they don't play ball take them to the small claims court.

Last edited:

Lakeuk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Those parallel crack lines look strange especially that they don't cross the basal, not been able to find a similar photo online, found some for with single line cracks where they've just appeared, many for a galaxy note phone and another on a nexus 7 which appeared when the on switch was presses.

ntoskrnl

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
It is really sad when something expensive turns out to be so weak and fragile...
My china-phone has fallen many times on the floor (sometimes tile floor) without any protection. The glass has some thin scratches, but didn't crack!
My friends with Samsung galaxy s3 and s4 have a lot of problem with their screen glass. Screen has many cracks...

My other friend however got a noticeable crack on his iPad mini a couple of weeks after he bought it (but there was an impact). But it doesn't look that severe.
After seeing all this, I cannot trust Samsung phones/tablets... Their laptops seem quite durable.

P.S. China phones became really powerful these days. Some are really worth buying.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That sucks man. I've seen a lot of posts about faulty Samsung devices, especially the screens on their phones. Thankfully, it hasn't happened to me .. yet :/

shelukindo

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I am in Tanzania I bought my S 10.5 and for about a week it worked perfectly and then all hell broke as the battery indicator started registering full charge one minute and half the next I would keep it on charge the whole night and it would only charge 20% or less and then it would go of randomly, it was very frustrating especially as it is a beautiful tablet, amazing screen very responsive I have taken it back to the shop it's been 2 weeks now and I miss it dearly.

Posted via the Android Central App

jtuk

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
After several phone calls and emails I am no better off. Samsung representatives just repeat their mantra of "out of warranty due to cracked screen".
I had one email which appeared to offer some hope but turned out to a phrase they just copy and paste which means nothing.
I had to leave my tablet for repair for which they will charge me.
I sent 2 emails "higher up" to the executive service (some service!) but they have gone unanswered.
I have to say I have never come across a company that sticks to their script to this level and so totally belittles their customers.
I wonder how much money they make out of these kinds if repairs annually? Must be quite the cash cow for them.
To them customer is always wrong even when they are right!
Basically they have labelled me a liar for telling the truth. I never dropped the damn thing although tempted to throw it out the window when/if ever I get it back!

jtuk

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Very surprisingly I received an email from Samsung Executive Office today where they finally had listened to me and the person wrote that after reviewing the photographs I sent he has decided to offer me repair free of charge!!
The only problem I have now I already took it to the Samsung Centre for repair... Not sure if they are able to arrange that repair to be free.
In any case I am so relieved to find out that there are some people at Samsung who are symphatetic towards a situation such as this.
Just goes to show you must not give up at the first hurdle...
Thanks to the internet search I found the contact details for the Executive office!

jtuk

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Update. After all the executive office help and promised I ended up going to collect the tablet from the Samsung shop where I had left it because the executive office person told me I would have to send it to them in an envelope ... As the "official" Samsung repair centre has nothing to do with Sansung after all... But when I went to collect at the shop they told me they had repaired it and they would not give it back to me unless I paid. Then it took me two hours to get someone at the executive office number to answer the phone... They told me to pay it and send them the invoice and they would reimburse me. So I did and I now have my tablet back. I hope the Executive office keeps to their word. Have to say this kind of mess would never happen with Apple as all their stores are genuinely Apple and not car phone warehouse or something pretending to be something else. It has been a nightmare and don't think I will ever buy another Samsung product after this no matter how good they might be as the support is so hard to get and Samsung simply do not answe their phones of you try and call. So my advice to anyone purchasing Samsung products is "don't" unless you are happy to go through hell when something goes wrong with the product. Or if you must buy Samsung do not deal with their so called official shops as they are not Samsung at all! I await to see if Samsung will reimburse me as they have promised.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion that damage looks like there was pressure put on the tablet, since it can't flex it cracks. It's definitely not from a drop or impact. Probably too much weight or pressure against it inside the bag. It's a problem with both Samsung and apple products as they race to make the thinnest device possible. They don't make a tablet durable enough for me to trust in a book bag.

Posted via Android Central App

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I do think apple has a tighter customer service system, in that there is less miscommunication of different factions of the company, if one guy told you it will be free, it will just be free.

That being said, I can't stand apple's system. I just try to pay attention to take care all my gadget and never break it.

I had 3 Samsung tablets, multiple phones from Samsung, htc. I never broke any screens, and most of them were sold in excellent working conditions when I upgraded.

@T-Mobile GN3

KayranT

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear you are experiencing what we are.
we just sent out tab in for repair. our screen was not cracked on the surface but fine cracks are underneath the top layer.
So the screen is black.
We did not drop it either. No pressure on it and we were really careful and it had a cover (non magnetic). It is only 2 months old.
The "Service Center" here in the US called and told us it was examined and they feel it was damaged and the warranty is void.
They will fix it for us after we send another $199. We bought it for $579 and thought that was plenty and had a good product. WRONG!!!
Why won't they stand behind their products? really makes you wonder.
we are hoping you will share with us the contact info for the "person" who said they would help you with your product issue. Maybe an email?
we are really hoping someone, somewhere within Samsung will do the right thing.
thanks for your help.
by the way, were you ever reimbursed?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion that damage looks like there was pressure put on the tablet, since it can't flex it cracks. It's definitely not from a drop or impact. Probably too much weight or pressure against it inside the bag. It's a problem with both Samsung and apple products as they race to make the thinnest device possible. They don't make a tablet durable enough for me to trust in a book bag.

Posted via Android Central App
I have mine in a bag and never had an issue with it... Though I don't have a lot of stuff weighing on top

jtuk

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
YES.. received the reimbursement last week at last. Very pleased with the response of the Executive Office at Samsung. Totally opposite to how the Samsung customer service treated me or thev"official" Samsung repair centre. I don't know the contact details for the US equivalent but maybe it exists. . You can try and ask the usual line to escalate your case to the Executive office?
Sorry to hear you are experiencing what we are.
we just sent out tab in for repair. our screen was not cracked on the surface but fine cracks are underneath the top layer.
So the screen is black.
We did not drop it either. No pressure on it and we were really careful and it had a cover (non magnetic). It is only 2 months old.
The "Service Center" here in the US called and told us it was examined and they feel it was damaged and the warranty is void.
They will fix it for us after we send another $199. We bought it for $579 and thought that was plenty and had a good product. WRONG!!!
Why won't they stand behind their products? really makes you wonder.
we are hoping you will share with us the contact info for the "person" who said they would help you with your product issue. Maybe an email?
we are really hoping someone, somewhere within Samsung will do the right thing.
thanks for your help.
by the way, were you ever reimbursed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2