Galaxy Tab S 10.5 doesn't charge to 100%??

pdee4t

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
hi there.
i bought a brand new Galaxy Tab S 10.5, ive been charging it overnight. on the screen i always see that it is at 100%(while the device is off).
as soon as i unplug the charger and turn the device on, battery drops down to 99%.
however, as soon as i reconnect the charger while the device is on, it then charges to 100% and stays on 100% for a bit after some use.

just wondering if others have the same issue? or if its normal for it to not charge/stay on 100%?

and also how quick do others devices drop down from fully charged to 98 or 97%? because mine seems to last just a few minutes between the full charge-97%, when its updating apps and receiving notifications once I turn it on.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
Are you disconnecting it from the charger as soon as it reaches 100% or are you leaving it for a couple of extra minutes?
Haven't had that particular issue, but my phone does seem to last less from 100-97 than it does from 93-90 for example. If it's updating your apps though, that would explain that.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Entirely normal, as it's usually better when you charge your battery while the device is OFF (not in standby, but off). But if you want a more accurate reading, you can try and 'recalibrate' your battery meter by charging to 100%, letting it deplete until it shuts down on its own (or as close to it as possible as you're comfortable with), then charging to 100%, and use as normal but deplete beyond 50%.

pdee4t

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
ok cool. well i'll try that then. i usually leave it on for a few extra minutes or hours after its "fully charged".
also, when i connect it to the Desktop PC with the USB cord, it shows on the tablet that it isn't charging, it has an ex on the battery icon.....but in actual fact, the battery percentage does go up??? how or why??

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The output current from a normal PC USB port is actually pretty small compared to what your tablet needs to draw (standard port outputs 500mA and your tablet needs, at least, 1A to properly start charging, but the preferred output is 2A). The X indicates that the battery is not charging OR that there's a problem with the charger. In this case, the small current. It might charge only a bit if the screen is off and sloooooowly. You can have PC ports with higher Amperage, but those are not standard and they're usually marked on your computer.

agr1994

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I get that with my Galaxy Note 3 phone, it's not an issue though, my battery lasts 1-2 days with ease before the next charge. Does your battery still last a long time or does it diminish quickly? I've found that if you literally let the battery run down to 5-15% before re-charging it (unless you're going on a night out and you need to charge it or something!) then the battery life works very well on Samsung devices!

pdee4t

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
The output current from a normal PC USB port is actually pretty small compared to what your tablet needs to draw (standard port outputs 500mA and your tablet needs, at least, 1A to properly start charging, but the preferred output is 2A). The X indicates that the battery is not charging OR that there's a problem with the charger. In this case, the small current. It might charge only a bit if the screen is off and sloooooowly. You can have PC ports with higher Amperage, but those are not standard and they're usually marked on your computer.

so is it normal then? what its doing?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, totally normal UNLESS you're hooking it up to a PowerUSB port or if it's not letting you transfer data to the PC, which I'm assuming this is not the case. If it gives you peace of mind, just ask an iPad-toting friend. They'll confirm they can't charge their iPads on a normal PC either.

pdee4t

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
well yesterday it was connected to the USB port for a while, i was transferring stuff but after a while the PC then randomly said it couldn't read/transfer to the Tablet so i had to disconnect it and reconnect it but after that it worked. only happened once though and never had it happen before. its worked ever since.

not sure why or if that's something to be alarmed about??

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Probably the cable just wiggled. If it happens again, check the cable before unplugging. If moving it a bit on the port reconnects to the PC, it's a loose connector either on the tablet or the cable itself. If it just happens at random, it can be a problem with the tablet or with the PC driver.

But I wouldn't worry about it just yet unless it happens every time.

pdee4t

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
i did try wriggle it yesterday when i had it connected. didn't do anything.
i know that it does it with my Galaxy S5 phone as well sometimes, so probably something to do with the computers USB port i assume?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, if you've had it happen with another device then yeah, it can be the cable (if you're using the same one) or the port or the driver.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it happened with two different devices, I'd say the PC Port. But if wiggling the cable in there doesn't help, it probably is a driver issue. Uninstalling/Reinstalling Kies (or the appropriate driver) should help.

kiwifiona

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Tab S 10.5, does not hold charge

My sister persuaded my mother to buy this tablet and I cannot believe how poor it is re holding the charge. My mother basically only uses it to look and reply to emails and it barely lasts 2 hours!! That is after charging all nightAlso can't understand why her emails disappear after a short time? Very annoying and I wish she had purchased an IPad instead.
Any help gratefully received.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Tab S 10.5, does not hold charge

My sister persuaded my mother to buy this tablet and I cannot believe how poor it is re holding the charge. My mother basically only uses it to look and reply to emails and it barely lasts 2 hours!! That is after charging all nightAlso can't understand why her emails disappear after a short time? Very annoying and I wish she had purchased an IPad instead.
Any help gratefully received.

Sounds like it may be a defective unit. I just returned from 3 weeks in France and used the tablet for email and web browsing and copying pictures from my camera and it would last for hours each day. Oh, I do have the wifi version if that makes any difference. I again used it out of town this past weekend. Charged it before leaving home. Took it out and used it for 3-4 hours and it still have 60% or so charge. I logged on to this site using the Android Central app and the Crackberry app (for z30) and also cruised the web, checked weather and checked email. I also had it "connected" to my z30 using Blend.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
My mom's Tab S 10.5 is experiencing erratic/short battery life as well. Drains like crazy just on stby; even worse if used. Last Tab 10.1 I gave her died of a motherboard failure. Needless to say, I'm done with Samsung tablets. Great phones, but they can't do tablets.

Posted via the Android Central App