Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 - Wifi Problems?

cm_scotland

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks, I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 but I'm finding that the Wifi performance is fairly ropey if bluetooth is also being used, has anyone else experienced this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Wi-fi has been known to interfere with Bluetooth, but not consistently. Can you give us more details about the problem?

If possible try to utilize a 5 GHz wi-fi band (if your router has that capability). That should reduce the interference.

Zuesholmes

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. WiFi drops to nothing or disconnects when Bluetooth is on. It's very inconsistent. I have a Bluetooth 808 speaker, MOGA controller and a Microsoft mouse. They all are bluetooth. I haven't seen a consistent pattern but I noticed it happen a lot the other day when using the controller. I haven't used the mouse much and its happen a couple times with the speaker but other times it's all worked fine. It'd extremely frustrating when it happens tho.

mjayjr

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the Logitech keyboard case and for a month I've been trying to figure out why my wifi goes down to .01mbps, for giggles I turned off the Bluetooth and bam 26mbps, glad it's not just me, now will Samsung fix the problem!?

Glenn Bargery

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
was having serious troubles using my portable wifi, decided to google wifi problems with galaxy tab s, and found this, and yes turning off the bluetooth fixes the whole issue, with BT on, I can't get anywhere! If it's not incredibly slow, its completely dropped out. oy vey!

Chuck Aikman

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 less than a week ago and have been frustrated by the same problem. Really poor performance on my home WiFi but no problem on my office network. I'm so glad I found this thread to know I am not alone. I took the suggestion of reconfiguring my home WiFi to use 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz. That has made an incredible difference!

I spoke with on of our network engineers at work and he said if you do have to use 2.4Ghz, then you should configure it to use channel 1, if possible. Bluetooth uses the upper channels (~11) in the 2.4Ghz range.

Posted via the Android Central App

Impayler

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy Tab S 10.5 less than a week ago and have been frustrated by the same problem. Really poor performance on my home WiFi but no problem on my office network. I'm so glad I found this thread to know I am not alone. I took the suggestion of reconfiguring my home WiFi to use 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz. That has made an incredible difference!

I spoke with on of our network engineers at work and he said if you do have to use 2.4Ghz, then you should configure it to use channel 1, if possible. Bluetooth uses the upper channels (~11) in the 2.4Ghz range.

I have exactly the same problem. When I enable Bluetooth my wifi connection starts dropping and I can get online for a while. This is a serious problem. I changed the WiFi channel on my router to 1 but still having same issue. Has anyone found a fix? Another channel? Did anyone contact Samsung, as this is a serious defect with the product!!!

Chuck Aikman

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. When I enable Bluetooth my wifi connection starts dropping and I can get online for a while. This is a serious problem. I changed the WiFi channel on my router to 1 but still having same issue. Has anyone found a fix? Another channel? Did anyone contact Samsung, as this is a serious defect with the product!!!

After my last post, I discovered that our PS4 could no longer connect to my WiFi. I went online and confirmed that it does not support 5 gHz connection. What's with these companies?! Anyway, I reconfigured my my network to use 2.4 gHz and channel 1. I've had no problem with my connection on my Galaxy S Tab since, and the PS4 connects again.

Impayler

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I did some testing, switched my WiFi router to channel 1, that did not fix the problem. When Bluetooth was enable Wifi connection would be hit or miss.
I switched to channel 11 and that worked, no more issues! I am just wondering what Samsung is doing about this. We can't be the only people having this problem!
Cheers.

Impayler

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
B.Diddy et. all,
I am still having the same problem. When I enable Bluetooth my wifi connection starts dropping and I CAN NOT get online for a while. This is a serious problem. I changed the WiFi channel on my router to 1, 6, 11 but still having same issue on all channels. I do not have 5 Ghz capability on Verizon Fios Actiontec MI424-WR router. Has anyone found a fix?
I contacted Samsung, but they claimed that they have not seen this problem before... I am considering returning the tablet, getting a refund and getting a iPad Air 2.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have heard from others who resolved the problem by doing a factory reset, so that's worth a try.

If your thought of getting an iPad is in response to this issue, know that this isn't necessarily an Android issue--it is more likely a Samsung problem. There are still a lot of good Android tablets out there. The Nexus 9 will be killer!

Impayler

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset per your suggestion and it fixed the problem. I am also reading that SideSync feature is responsible for this issue...

dsabra11

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
When I did a factory reset, it seemed to start working again, but only for a day. Now back to having issues. Maybe installing Side Sync DOES have something to do with it. Frustrating because that is one of the reasons I got this particular tablet. Same with the ability to use bluetooth headphones on the treadmill :/

LP7P

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not just having this issue with bluetooth, It appears that for some reason this device (Tab S) doesn't fair well with WiFi tablet gaming. I constantly get Network errors...Retry:(

Brandon Everest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I think I fixed this issue. You don't need to do a factory reset and fart around with setting it up again. SideSync is the culprit, which is a drag for those of us who bought this tab to pair with our gs5's. But, I think this fixed it. You can't disable it, but you can uninstall the updates to SideSync, which I think is the cause of the problems. I also have the Logitech keyboard that does cause some interference issues, but nothing too bad. After uninstalling updates, I ran wifi speed tests on my home network with the tab after turning off bluetooth (no difference), in and out of the Logi case (</=10% reduction in wifi performance probably due to the case *and* interference). Samsung then hit me with an system update yesterday (did anybody else get one?), and everything seems to be fine. The tab also automatically updated SideSync after the system update, and it still seems to be working... Hope this helps!

Brandon Everest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, nix that. SideSync is not working but intermittently. If Idon't use SideSync, no problem. As soon as I run it, network problems ensue. It is SideSync tho. Let's start hitting Sammy with requests for the patch. Dernit!

Vicky Veritas

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Rolling back the update to SideSync fixed my issue with no factory reset as Samsung Support suggested I do. Also, no need to mess with the WiFi. Thank you, Brandon Everest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome