Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 manufacture flaw

kennhigg

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am posting this in the event that anyone else with a similar issue will take note and perhaps respond with their possible solution or efforts made in this regard. Ideally, I would love to reach an ear in the Samsung Customer Service department where someone would read this with serious attention.

I bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 three days ago and I really liked it, great features, etc...I was delighted with it. The following day I bought a book cover for the device and shortly afterwards the device started to malfunction, screen freeze, app freeze, screen randomly coming on and off, unable to turn off or restart. I was alarmed at this sudden development. I removed the book cover and the device started working normally again. I then inspected the device closely and discovered a slightly loose fit along the edge of the right corner of the rear cover. I could actually move the right corner of the rear cover up and down with a slight press of my thumb. This loose fit was obviously affecting the touch sensitive screen. It was a barely noticeable loose fit that when made snug with the book cover in place caused the device to malfunction. This is clearly a manufacturing flaw in the Samsung S that I happened to purchase. Have to say that I felt a moment of disbelief because I have been a satisfied owner of Samsung products, smartphones, tablets and TVs and haven't had any problems to date until this. I currently own a Note 3 and plan to upgrade to a Note 4 when it becomes available here where I live.

The supplier where I bought the Tab S has a 24 hr.return policy and my ownership was already on day two so I have had to resort to the Samsung service center. I left the tablet with the service center this morning where they told me they would test the device and get back to me in a few days. The Samsung service center here has a reputation for gross incompetence so I anticipate a return of the device in the same condition that I brought it in.

I think I would have been able to resolve the problem anywhere else with the supplier where I purchased my tablet, but this is Bali, Indonesia. Also, Samsung service here is for the most part a "service center" in name only. Too bad, because I have had great respect for the Samsung brand until this recent development.

My plan going forward, should my tablet be returned in the same condition that I brought it in, is to sell it as soon as possible. As much as I like the new Tab S I don't think I will purchase another one after this unexpected development. Hard to say this since I have been such an admirer and loyal customer of the Samsung brand of Smartphones and Tablets. Should events turn out in a more positive direction I will update this posting.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sad to hear you had this issue, but I have to ask. Was the book cover an original Samsung product or did you get a 3rd party cover? If so, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the tablet, even if it has that slight, loose end. A lot of 3rd party covers seem to interfere sometimes with overall function because of the magnet type and position they use. For instance, on the Note 10.1 2014, TONS of people thought their tablets were broken because the S-Pen would be misaligned and they couldn't drop down the notification bar. It turned out to be that the cover they were using was interfering with everything else because of the magnet.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP should just return it and try another one. If the replacement has the same issue, then return it again. Buy another one from a different store in a different city so it will not be in the same batch.

kennhigg

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Although the book cover is a custom fit for the Tab S, it is not an original Samsung product. When the tablet was in the clear plastic fitted form of the book cover it was isolated from the opened cover when it started malfunctioning. When I removed the tablet from the book cover I set it on top of the empty closed cover, in direct contact with the magnetic section, and it worked normally. The problem does not appear to be the one you mentioned regarding the Note 1.

Last edited:

kennhigg

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Where I live, the return part of your response is the problem. If the Samsung service center in Denpasar, Bali returns the tablet in the same condition I brought it in, the sale and purchase of another one is entirely up to me. As for buying one in another city, I would have to order online from Jakarta and possibly face a similar scenario but with more complications.

At this point I have to await the response from Samsung service.

kennhigg

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The kind of stores one finds in Denpasar, Bali. Sad but true the concept of quality customer service here is primarily to be found only in the hotel and tourist industry. Oh, and "consumer rights" is a foreign concept in these parts.

Last edited:

Lakeuk

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
In the UK we have good consumer rights of which we get a 6 year warranty period, for a replacement or repair due to a defect - the contract is with the shop rather than the manufacturer. In the first 6 months it's upto the shop to prove there's not a defect after that it's upto the owner to prove the defect. Plus alot of the big stores offer additions like 30 day return policy for no reason, only condition is you returning as new condition (ie unused)

kennhigg

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
This is a follow up to my initial posting regarding the manufacturing flaw with my Galaxy Tab S 10.5.
Three days ago I received back from Samsung service my Tab S. The service center replaced the rear cover and front screen and the tablet is working perfectly both in and out of the book cover. No more ill fitting corner, no more problems. No charges whatsoever.
I must say that I am impressed with the way Samsung service here in Denpasar responded to this issue and I apologize for bad-mouthing them earlier. In this matter they delivered good results 100% . They addressed the problem and fixed it.
I also owe a debt of gratitude to The WA Digital computer shop here for assisting me with the logistics, delivery to and from the Samsung service center and return to my home of my tablet. Their help in resolving this was invaluable.
Thanks for your kind responses and thank you Android Central for this forum.

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
This is a follow up to my initial posting regarding the manufacturing flaw with my Galaxy Tab S 10.5.
Three days ago I received back from Samsung service my Tab S. The service center replaced the rear cover and front screen and the tablet is working perfectly both in and out of the book cover. No more ill fitting corner, no more problems. No charges whatsoever.
I must say that I am impressed with the way Samsung service here in Denpasar responded to this issue and I apologize for bad-mouthing them earlier. In this matter they delivered good results 100% . They addressed the problem and fixed it.
I also owe a debt of gratitude to The WA Digital computer shop here for assisting me with the logistics, delivery to and from the Samsung service center and return to my home of my tablet. Their help in resolving this was invaluable.
Thanks for your kind responses and thank you Android Central for this forum.

On behalf on Sammy I am glad your experience was a positive one. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

tominbali

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi kenhigg,

glad to hear you have sorted your Galaxy Tab flaw. I quick question if I can. My friend in Bali has a new Galaxy Tab s10.5 but is unable to find a cover for it, can you tell us where you bought yours from please??

Many thanks

tominbali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs