7 months old....battery fail

stefanbright

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I've enjoyed the S for 7 months and all of a sudden my battery only lasts about 3 hours, even in power saving mode. I am not a gamer, have only ever watched 1 movie on it and mostly use it to read the news, light internet surfing and playing music. I contacted tech support and they say it may be a faulty charger so they suggested I have my PC charge it via USB. I did that and no change....there's no apps causing the drain.

Anyone else have this problem ?? I searched the forums and didn't find anyone with similar issues after 7 months of use. I will hate having to send it in for repairs. If I do, do I need to wipe it before I send it in ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the device is charging up to 100%, then discharging abnormally quickly, it's not a problem with the charger. It could be a faulty battery, but first see if there are any rogue apps that are causing an issue. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

If you do end up sending it back in, you don't necessarily have to wipe the data--just have a good screenlock password or PIN in place. If all they have to do is replace the battery, they may not have to do a factory reset. I highly doubt anyone from a Samsung service center would try to hack into your device to steal data, if it's locked. If they have to replace the motherboard, it will have to be reset anyway.

stefanbright

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
See attached...first shot....used tablet for 1 hour to read one .pdf file and USA today and it dropped 31 %. Next two shot are what you asked for i believe.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-02-24-20-22-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-24-20-22-51.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2015-02-24-20-23-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-24-20-23-28.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2015-02-24-20-23-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-02-24-20-23-37.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 50

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Tap the Screen listing to bring up its details. It'd be helpful to see the total time the screen has been on.

And use the device until the battery is down to 20-30% (not down by 20-30%). Then show us those screenshots again. This will give us a better overall look at the battery consumption.

stefanbright

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Tapping "screen listings" did nothing. I sent it back for repairs. It took 5 days (2 were weekend) They returned it to me completely wiped. Nice. Lost all my files that weren't app related. Nice. Very effing nice. They tell me by letter it wasn't battery issue but was rather a charging cable issue, opposite of what you said. They said the symptoms of this are: No Power, Power Cycles (Device Powering On/Off), Charging Problems and Flickering. Notice I did not have any of these symptom.

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've enjoyed the S for 7 months and all of a sudden my battery only lasts about 3 hours, even in power saving mode. I am not a gamer, have only ever watched 1 movie on it and mostly use it to read the news, light internet surfing and playing music. I contacted tech support and they say it may be a faulty charger so they suggested I have my PC charge it via USB. I did that and no change....there's no apps causing the drain.

Anyone else have this problem ?? I searched the forums and didn't find anyone with similar issues after 7 months of use. I will hate having to send it in for repairs. If I do, do I need to wipe it before I send it in ?
Replace the battery it will fix your battery issues. Tech support is completely useless. Batteryship.com has them for $35 plus comes with a free toolkit. The batteries on these tablets are crap and have been the cause of a lot of erratic battery problems but of course Samsung is always the last to figure it out

Moto X 2014

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89