Marshmallow 6.0 coming in April 2016 to the Tab S 10.5!

Herman Kantz

May 10, 2016
Visit site
For what it's worth ...

Aswad S: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
James: Can you please tell me if my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (SM-T800) will be upgraded to Android 6?
Aswad S: Let me see how best can I help you with the information.
James: Thank you
Aswad S: Just to inform you, we can only update the Tab when you receive the notification regarding the update.
Aswad S: The updates are made in batches depending on hardware specifications.
Aswad S: When the update for your Tab will be released it will be notified on your Tab.
Aswad S: We are unable to speculate when the update will be released, however it will be notified on your Tab when it will be available.
James: Please read my question. It was NOT when BUT IF!
Aswad S: Yes, the tab will receive the upgrade when Samsung release it.
Aswad S: The update should meet product specification as when the tab is upgraded, it should not face any issues like rebooting, flickering, flashing, stuck at Samsung logo etc.
Aswad S: Hence, it may some time to release the 6.0 upgrade for the tab, however, eventually, the tab will get update notification about the upgrade.
James: Thank you. Have a nice day. Goodbye
Aswad S: You are most welcome and have a good day to you too!

HK

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So glad I sold mine. I was burned by another company with another device a while back. ("Update is coming!" "Update is coming!" "Nah, we're not going to update it at all.") After getting my Nexus 6P and Pixel C, I'm done with non-Google devices.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So glad I sold mine. I was burned by another company with another device a while back. ("Update is coming!" "Update is coming!" "Nah, we're not going to update it at all.") After getting my Nexus 6P and Pixel C, I'm done with non-Google devices.

Isn't the pixel C the same price as a MacBook? Yikes. If updates are your thing then go ios (I have an iPad mini along with the tab s 10 5), really wishing it would get upgraded to 6 so that it would operate smoother.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the pixel C the same price as a MacBook? Yikes. If updates are your thing then go ios (I have an iPad mini along with the tab s 10 5), really wishing it would get upgraded to 6 so that it would operate smoother.

It's cheaper than the iPad Pro. And, until the Air 2 dropped in price recently, it was equal to the cost of that. And honestly, the Tab S, when it was new, was 549 at BB for the 32 GB model. The Pixel is $499 for 32 GB, so it's cheaper than the Tab S was.

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess we really are not getting marshmallow on the Tab S 10.5 😔😔😔

It's mid June and nothing has been said still...

Timothy Huggins

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's the official Samsung site:

Official Samsung® Android Updates & Firmwares

Scrolling down to tablets......Tab S......you can see no mention of 6.0 even in the works, whi9e Tab S2 has been rolled out.
I think it's safe to conclude that Samsung won't be putting resources into upgrading the Tab S.
Actually this site is not an official Samsung site. They just keep track of official Samsung updates. I doubt they have any more information than any of us have been able to get out of Samsung through the various channels.

dannyro77

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most posters on this thread. I think it's really crappy that a big company like Samsung pushes out the S2 but refuses to update the S1 further than Lollipop-considering it's WiFi only, how hard would it really be to update this tablet to Marshmallow and beyond? One software update for a $500 tablet (when it was released)? I feel like I've been had.

I understand and respect arguments about not necessarily needing the latest software update because the tablet works fine-and it does still work fine; however, if I spend that much money on a device, I expect it to keep up with software updates, and also importantly, security updates, because they bring new life to your device with new features, advances, improvements, (bug fixes and security holes fixed) etc. If it was a bargain tablet, I would completely understand the lack of updates. I bought Samsung because of the quality they bring and what I thought would be a supported device through the next software upgrades. It turns out I was wrong.

Another poster said if you are unhappy with their lack of updating don't buy another Samsung, which is exactly what I will do. I bought a Pixel C and am thrilled with it. Why would anyone chose a Galaxy Tab S2 over a Pixel C, when Samsung's track record for updates is terrible, and that you know a Pixel C will be updated (and patched with security releases every month) with each android release?

Just a bit of venting and my perspective around this whole issue. I don't think anyone that thought a $500 solid spec tablet should get more than one (one!) software update OR security patches is being unreasonable. Right now I would not buy another Samsung tablet and maybe not a Samsung phone either.

Brett Wier

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Agreed.
I had it pegged quite awhile back that lollipop wouldn't happen, but it would have been nice.
That.....and the stupid touchwiz.
Live and Learn.

michaelm

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I really only want MM for the "sd as internal memory" feature. I've been getting loads of low storage errors when trying to install updates and new apps recently, even though I have a 128gb card I bought in preparation for the MM update. I have moved as many apps as I can to sd storage, but there are still quite a lot which can't be moved, including the crap Samsung thought it wise to pre install. If there was any other way I could do this then I would still be extremely happy with, what I consider to be, the best android tablet so far. I've had no other issues with it, it's fast and the screen is amazing. But there really is no reason for it to support such large external storage sizes if that storage isn't made available to the system.

I was one of the BlackBerry die hards who were left with a piece of junk when Blackberry went back on its promise to make BB10 available for the PlayBook, another cracking little tablet let down by woeful support. If MM isn't made available for it, I won't be getting rid of my Tab S, but I will certainly be doing what I did after the PlayBook fiasco and I won't be buying anything else from another company that considers one of the jewels in its crown obsolete after just one OS update.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Galaxy Tab S Lives Matter (GTSLM).

Samsung doesn't care about Galaxy Tab S people !

Galaxy Tab S Lives Matter (GTSLM).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will say this: the Tab S 10.5 is a beautiful machine. My wife got it new not long after release in Titanium Bronze and also with the keyboard/case. It's a gorgeous package.

Samsung-Book-Cover-Simple-Cover-and-Bluetooth-Keyboard-for-the-Galaxy-Tab-S-10.5.jpg

That being said, it was not inexpensive by any means and it is borderline criminal that it only updates to 5.0.2 Lollipop. This is why I don't like Uncle Sammy, for the grab your money and run approach. Tablets have a long lifespan - or should have.

My N7 (2013) is on 6.0.1 for crying in the mud and receives monthly updates.

My wife's T-Mo branded Galaxy Note 2 is stuck on 4.3 Jelly Bean, not even the 4.4.2 Kit Kat that the AT&T version got and the Note 2 was a long time coming to T-Mo. This is why I don't like carrier branded devices if I can avoid them.

Meanwhile, my Nokia Lumia 2520 with Windows RT 8.1 still gets updates every Patch Tuesday and it is supposed to be a "dead" platform. I have a Lumia 640 that I payed only $30 for brand new and it is on the latest OS version. Same with my Lumia 1520 which was released almost 3 years ago, right up to date...

It's patently ridiculous to not get more than one update and these OEMs and Carriers need to be held accountable for such travesties.

NuclearDreams

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
I have email confirmation from Samsung Germany that they are currently testing Android 6 on the Galaxy Tab S.

Here is their answer to my inquiry.

Dear Mr. (redacted)
thank your for your e-mail and your kind and open words.

Actually our software developer are testing the Android 6 Marshmallow firmware on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 LTE. At that stage we can not mention detailed information or a fix date for the roll out of the update. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If you have any further question don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards from Schwalbach
Ingolf Freitag

Your Samsung customer number: (redacted)

Samsung Electronics GmbH
Customer Communication Center
Tel: 0180 6 SAMSUNG oder 7267864 *
Fax: 06196 9340 288

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT UPGRADE TO MARSHMALLOW IF IT COMES OUT FOR THIS DEVICE -- My Galaxy Note 4 recently got upgraded to MARSHMALLOW and it doesn't even work now. Can't be on for more than a minute without rebooting itself and it is extremely laggy - barely usable. A word of warning for all of us Tab S 2014 owners!!! If it aint broke don't fix it! You don't know what you have until it's gone! Words of advice!!!

Lucas Barbosa

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
My note 4 got the android 6 update a long time ago (and 2 or 3 updates since that) and is working just fine.

I am waiting for the update for this tablet specially to use the sd card as internal memory. The tablet is full of games, and my kids love it... but I am tired of having to remove apps to release memory. I know that samsung does not officially support this feature (adoptable storage) on android 6, but there seems to be some workarounds to make it work on samsung devices. I hope they works on this tablet.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
DO NOT UPGRADE TO MARSHMALLOW IF IT COMES OUT FOR THIS DEVICE -- My Galaxy Note 4 recently got upgraded to MARSHMALLOW and it doesn't even work now. Can't be on for more than a minute without rebooting itself and it is extremely laggy - barely usable. A word of warning for all of us Tab S 2014 owners!!! If it aint broke don't fix it! You don't know what you have until it's gone! Words of advice!!!

Totally wrong advice.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
It's nice that the Tab S might be getting MM at the time when Nougat is coming out. Go Samsung!

Sent via the Communications Center of the Trigati