How can I take photos in RAW format?

raidon

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi all. Recently bought a used Tab S 10.5 (my first Android device) and I love it.

Its JPGs are great, but I'd really like to shoot in RAW if I can.

Can some kind person please enlighten me on this? :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the S 10.5 supports RAW picture taking, unfortunately. I can't remember if it's only software that needs to be updated to Marshmallow (which it hasn't) or if the hardware plays a part, too... but at present, it doesn't.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. I remember there was native support for RAW pictures in Marshmallow, but I'm not sure if, on top of that, your hardware needed to support it too or if it's just a software 'issue'. If it's just software, then the Marshmallow update (unless Sammy decides to remove the support from their ROM or Camera app for whatever reason) should, in theory, bring RAW support with it.

raidon

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm beginning to see that there's more to it than meets the eye (as it were). I'm trying to think of a Windows analogy, but it's tricky.

I guess there must be some sort of similarity with the capabilities of Microsoft's various operating systems (98, XP, Vista, W7, W10 etc) and the Android versions. Like, support for 64bit (as opposed to 32bit) hasn't always been available in Windows, and, AFAIK, required the actual hardware (motherboard) to support the enhancement.

Maybe the camera capability is related to the integrated video chipset on a Windows motherboard? Like, any software that's loaded 'on top' of the chip (into the operating system) is limited by the chip's architecture and pre-programming.

Android was created by Google, wasn't it? Their engineers would have a clue on this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Correct. The analogy is valid, and while Android is created/developed by Google, it's also based upon open source software (it is, after all, a version of Linux).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670