Marshmallow finally here!

filmlovr

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I actually just confirmed this with Samsung through Twitter. I'm really upset they limited the one feature that people really wanted from this update. I haven't wanted to deal with rooting the device, but it seems like the only way to get something that's truly functional.

NeoTreo

May 17, 2016
Visit site
The SamDung device updated to 6.0.1 Marshmallow with a Security Patch of August 1, 2016.
It was a 872MB download.

X_cLOUDDEAD_x

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
My Samsung Tab S 10.5 (wifi, model T800) just received an OTA Marshmallow 6.0.1 update from Samsung... but it doesn't seem to have worked. It was running Lollipop previously and I was shocked to see a Marshmallow update already downloaded and waiting to install today as I expected it to be stuck at Lollipop for good. This is just a wifi model (not from a cellular carrier).

I ran the update and even though the About Phone area says it's on 6.0.1 and the firmware version is now MMB29K.T800XXU1CPH7 it still looks and seems to work EXACTLY the same way as it did before the update. The app icons on my homescreen are the same, the whole user interface is the same, Settings is laid out exactly the same way as before, when I double press the home button the camera app doesn't start up (it still starts up S Voice like it always did). I'm kind of baffled here. After the update on the first startup I had to choose between two launchers; Touchwiz or a kids launcher, so I chose Touchwiz. Also, I tried restarting it and when I did it updated two more apps on the turquoise gears screen before starting up again. Still looks like its on Lollipop though. I tried another restart and it restarted normally. Still looks and acts like its on Lollipop. The only noticeable differences I can see is that the Samsung logo is all white now when the tablet boots up and there's a little round user (light blue with a white face) icon to the right of the battery icon on the lock screen that wasn't there before. That's it.

Any ideas? It seems like I should see a much bigger difference than this after a major update, and I know how Marshmallow looks and works because I have a Note 5 as well. This went from being a great surprise to a total letdown :/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My Samsung Tab S 10.5 (wifi, model T800) just received an OTA Marshmallow 6.0.1 update from Samsung... but it doesn't seem to have worked. It was running Lollipop previously and I was shocked to see a Marshmallow update already downloaded and waiting to install today as I expected it to be stuck at Lollipop for good. This is just a wifi model (not from a cellular carrier).

I ran the update and even though the About Phone area says it's on 6.0.1 and the firmware version is now MMB29K.T800XXU1CPH7 it still looks and seems to work EXACTLY the same way as it did before the update. The app icons on my homescreen are the same, the whole user interface is the same, Settings is laid out exactly the same way as before, when I double press the home button the camera app doesn't start up (it still starts up S Voice like it always did). I'm kind of baffled here. After the update on the first startup I had to choose between two launchers; Touchwiz or a kids launcher, so I chose Touchwiz. Also, I tried restarting it and when I did it updated two more apps on the turquoise gears screen before starting up again. Still looks like its on Lollipop though. I tried another restart and it restarted normally. Still looks and acts like its on Lollipop. The only noticeable differences I can see is that the Samsung logo is all white now when the tablet boots up and there's a little round user (light blue with a white face) icon to the right of the battery icon on the lock screen that wasn't there before. That's it.

Any ideas? It seems like I should see a much bigger difference than this after a major update, and I know how Marshmallow looks and works because I have a Note 5 as well. This went from being a great surprise to a total letdown :/

The update was to Marshmallow, not to their latest TouchWiz UI, I'm afraid. Most are 'under the hood' changes, but you will notice subtle differences, though. For instance, you can now have granular (if not perfect) control of per-app permissions and notifications, so you can FINALLY disable those pesky, obtrusive top-bar pop ups per app, should you want to keep any app that way.

X_cLOUDDEAD_x

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
The update was to Marshmallow, not to their latest TouchWiz UI, I'm afraid. Most are 'under the hood' changes, but you will notice subtle differences, though. For instance, you can now have granular (if not perfect) control of per-app permissions and notifications, so you can FINALLY disable those pesky, obtrusive top-bar pop ups per app, should you want to keep any app that way.

Got it. Thanks for explaining!

Foothill2112

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
My tablet downloaded the update but I am hesitant to install. Can someone answer this - does Marshmallow allow apps to be moved to SD card? Even a portion of the app can make a difference.

In relation to that - can app data be on the SD card. There is an app use everyday that has the option to download data to the SD card. Right now that data is close to 2 GB.

Thanks in advance for any help in this regard.

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I was messing with the applications and it does allow you to move the entire app to the SD card. That will be extremely useful.

Johnnydoe5

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Dont forget that that Marshmallow will install a guest account that you can not password protect or disable (without rooting). This will allow anyone access to whatever is on your SD card if they have your tablet. How such a huge security flaw was overlooked is mind blowing.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Dont forget that that Marshmallow will install a guest account that you can not password protect or disable (without rooting). This will allow anyone access to whatever is on your SD card if they have your tablet. How such a huge security flaw was overlooked is mind blowing.
Mine has no guest account. Just the one account still and all my info is still safe

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it added the guest account on mine (or was it there already? I remember seeing multi-user settings before...anyway). BUT the SD card is never meant to be 'secure'. That's what the 'Secure Folder' feature is for. The SD Card is supposed to be external storage, and as such, it will be available freely to all users.

That being said, an option to limit Guest accounts to internal memory would have been better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay