Marshmallow Update Issue - SD Card Identifier

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
It was really a very minor issue once I figured out what happened. After update, several of my apps (Moonreader, VLC, Calibre, etc) using the SD card for storage could not find the related files. The files were there; the apps just could not find them.

It took me way too long to figure what had happened. For some reason the update assigned a new identifier to the SD Card. If I remember correctly (bigger if than I want to admit), the old identifier was 0000-0000. The new id was different eight digits. All of the apps failing had in app settings for data storage locations. After I revised the storage location setting everything was working.

Based on limited usage today, I don't see any significant differences. However, I run a better standard setup using mostly mainstream standard apps.

TC_Greek

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Greetings,

Is there a way to marry the SD card to the device so it gets treated as internal memory? Adaptive storage is the name of the feature. I had the same issue as you with my overdrive app not working after the upgrade to marshmallow. Can you let me know how to fix the SD ID issue? I deleted and reinstalled overdrive to get it working but now I'm worried I may soon run out of internal storage space. My SM-T800 only has 16 GB of memory and I was constantly moving apps to the SD Card on the previous version of android but that feature doesn't seem to be available now.
;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung decided not to implement Adoptable Storage on its devices with Marshmallow, although there's a way to do it using ADB commands (on the S7, at least): Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge - Android - MoDaCo

Pugs1957, do you know if this method works on the Tab S 10.5? You mentioned that it didn't have the supporting hardware, so I was wondering if there's an actual hardware requirement for the above method to work.

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
You can still move the apps to the SD card, you just have to know how to do it. Go to the application information page where you can force stop, set the permissions, notifications, etc. The very first line says storage. Click on it, and then you will see where it is stored now. and a button to Change. Select the change button and you can select your SD card or Internal memory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, but that's not the same as Adoptable Storage, where the system actually incorporates the entire microSD card into its Internal Storage (thus expanding the phone's total Internal Storage by that much). That's what TC_Greek was asking about.

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Right, but that's not the same as Adoptable Storage, where the system actually incorporates the entire microSD card into its Internal Storage (thus expanding the phone's total Internal Storage by that much). That's what TC_Greek was asking about.

No it is not the same. I was responding to the following quote by him.
I was constantly moving apps to the SD Card on the previous version of android but that feature doesn't seem to be available now.

greenhout

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I can only see the change button on apps already on my sd card. Apps that used to be able to go onto my sd card do not have the change button so are stuck on the internal storage. The sd card is almost empty but attempting to move photos comes up with a no space error. Any idea what is going on. I should not have accepted the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams