how to mane sure factory reset protection is disabled Galaxy Tab S 10.5 SM-T800

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 model SM-T800 with Android 6.0.1

How can I be sure that factory reset protection is disabled?
Is it safe to use the Samsung+ app to keep built-in apps up to date?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about Samsung's factory reset protection? You can't turn off Google's. (erroneous, see my post below)

Last edited:

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for not being more specific. Yes, I was talking about Samsung Factory Protection.
The Samsung+ app and at other times the tablet asks about creating a Samsung account. But I want to be sure it does not cause more trouble than it is worth

Since you can't disable the google protection, If I ever reset the tablet, how can I be sure it is not locked?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks like you can turn off Samsung's Reactivation Lock feature: What is Reactivation lock, and how do I use it on my Samsung Galaxy S6 (Verizon)?

For Google's Factory Reset Protection, as long as you remember your Google account and password, you won't get locked out of your tablet. But if you plan on giving away or selling the tablet at some point, then remember to go to Settings>Accounts, select your Google account, then Menu>Remove Account. After you've removed your account, you can then do the factory reset, and then someone else can set it up with their account.

There does also appear to be a way to turn off Google's FRP if your Developer Options are turned on, so I was mistaken about this before: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6172890?hl=en

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Reactivation lock does not seem to be on the tablet. There is no personal menu in settings and I do not see that feature anywhere else

OEM Unlocking does not appear in developer options on the tablet

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, that was a pretty long-winded article. If you search for "Reactivation," you'll find it listed in Settings>Security>Reactivation Lock. Does that show up on your tablet, or also no luck there?

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
No need to apologize. Your reply was very much appreciated

I looked in settings and tbere is no option for reactivation

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm -- it'll be hard to figure this out without the device in front of me. Try going to Settings>Security>Clear Credentials. If that doesn't help, go to Settings>Security>Device Administrators and tell us if there's anything there that's checked on besides Android Device Manager and Samsung Knox.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Settings>Security>Clear Credentials is grayed out and not available

Settings>Security>Device Administrators. Both are unchecked (android device manager, AVG antivirus)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is this tablet directly from a carrier (i.e., does it support LTE), or is it wi-fi only? If it's a carrier-specific device, the carrier might have removed that function.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12