Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (32GB) Wi-Fi Only

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yea I wonder how many sales Samsung is leaving on the table by simply not offering a 32GB version of most of their devices. I would have bought a 32GB tab S 8.4 5 minutes ago if I could have found one. Alas I took my dollars elsewhere. Maybe next year......

And yes, I know samsung isn't exactly hurting and needing customers and every sale. But just imagine how much more attractive their lineup could be with more built in storage.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea I wonder how many sales Samsung is leaving on the table by simply not offering a 32GB version of most of their devices. I would have bought a 32GB tab S 8.4 5 minutes ago if I could have found one. Alas I took my dollars elsewhere. Maybe next year......

And yes, I know samsung isn't exactly hurting and needing customers and every sale. But just imagine how much more attractive their lineup could be with more built in storage.
Probably around 85% of their sales is probably the 16gb model. Remember the average Joe doesn't know that kit Kat restricts apps saved on SD card functions and etc and most people rather save the $$ and buy the 16gb option

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Probably around 85% of their sales is probably the 16gb model. Remember the average Joe doesn't know that kit Kat restricts apps saved on SD card functions and etc and most people rather save the $$ and buy the 16gb option

restrict apps saved on SD card? So when you move apps to the SD card you can't use it?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
restrict apps saved on SD card? So when you move apps to the SD card you can't use it?
How kit Kat works now as far as SD cards go is apps can't read and where ever they please like there used to. This makes it more secure but the downside is it makes it a lot harder for consumers.

You can still run apps while it is "saved" to sd card. I don't do a run around like another thread suggests

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
How kit Kat works now as far as SD cards go is apps can't read and where ever they please like there used to. This makes it more secure but the downside is it makes it a lot harder for consumers.

You can still run apps while it is "saved" to sd card. I don't do a run around like another thread suggests

Yea that was pretty poor wording. You can still move apps that support it to the SD card like you can before. But apps can only write to one folder on the SD card, not the entire card. Best example of this is a file manager app that can't change files, etc on an SD card.

I want 32GB for two main reasons. 1) if I'm spending $400+ for a tablet I'm going to have for at least a couple of years it needs to have more than 8ish available gigs of storage on board. I don't know what the landscape looks like in 24 months of android and I want to give the device the best possible chance of being viable and usable 24 months later. 2) not every app supports being moved to or offloading of data to SD cards, and eating up 8GB of space does not take long.

Having the SD card slot is fine. But it shouldn't be the excuse to put as little storage as they can get away with onto the device. It's 2014. 32GB should be the minimum, the cost increase to go from 16 to 32GB, especially at the scale that Samsung can do, is negligible.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea that was pretty poor wording. You can still move apps that support it to the SD card like you can before. But apps can only write to one folder on the SD card, not the entire card. Best example of this is a file manager app that can't change files, etc on an SD card.

I want 32GB for two main reasons. 1) if I'm spending $400+ for a tablet I'm going to have for at least a couple of years it needs to have more than 8ish available gigs of storage on board. I don't know what the landscape looks like in 24 months of android and I want to give the device the best possible chance of being viable and usable 24 months later. 2) not every app supports being moved to or offloading of data to SD cards, and eating up 8GB of space does not take long.

Having the SD card slot is fine. But it shouldn't be the excuse to put as little storage as they can get away with onto the device. It's 2014. 32GB should be the minimum, the cost increase to go from 16 to 32GB, especially at the scale that Samsung can do, is negligible.

That is why i spent $150 more for the Tab s 10.5 at Bestbuy which exclusively offers the 32gb option smh. I order off NewEgg since no sales tax on it for me

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I don't quite get the SD card... What do you mean about "But apps can only write to one folder on the SD card, not the entire card"???

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't quite get the SD card... What do you mean about "But apps can only write to one folder on the SD card, not the entire card"???

Before Android 4.4 AKA Kit Kat Apps could pretty much write onto the SD card wherever they wanted to.... Now in Kit Kat they can only write into the folder they are allotted to if they have one basically

If you want to read more about it just google Micro SD card and Android 4.4 together ( or put in Kit Kat)

Here is a website i found googling it

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-44-k...plained-root-access-fix-now-available-1562147

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Yes, indeed. I will not buy another Nexus unless at least 32 gb and SD card. I will not buy another small tablet unless same. 8.4 is almost too big so I will not be interested in any 10" or 12" tablets. Hell, I can get a 13" Ultrabook if I want something that big.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Before Android 4.4 AKA Kit Kat Apps could pretty much write onto the SD card wherever they wanted to.... Now in Kit Kat they can only write into the folder they are allotted to if they have one basically

If you want to read more about it just google Micro SD card and Android 4.4 together ( or put in Kit Kat)

Here is a website i found googling it

Android 4.4 KitKat Update: Micro SD Changes Explained; Root Access Fix Now Available

Yes, but if you root you can easily get around that. I won't buy a device unless I can root and rom. At least not until the Mfrs. stop with all the bloatware and unnecessary tricked up UI's

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but if you root you can easily get around that. I won't buy a device unless I can root and rom. At least not until the Mfrs. stop with all the bloatware and unnecessary tricked up UI's

That is what I just said ....

- - - Updated - - -

I watched one review and she said there is going to be a 32GB option ...we will see... Might sell my 10.5 for that one then

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, indeed. I will not buy another Nexus unless at least 32 gb and SD card. I will not buy another small tablet unless same. 8.4 is almost too big so I will not be interested in any 10" or 12" tablets. Hell, I can get a 13" Ultrabook if I want something that big.

Well you'll never find another nexus device with SD support so you're going to be waiting a long time.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a 32gb Galaxy Tab S 8.4., WiFi.

Imported from Korea. Should be here this Saturday. I'll post up when I get my hands on it. I should be able to charge it up quickly with my new Motorola Rapid Charger.

Had the 10.5 for a week or 2, but needed something a little more portable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital