To buy or not to buy?

QuantumPrime

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey all.

So I'm deciding whether or not to buy this tablet. I've never owned a tablet, but have consistently used the iPad.

I seem to like the android theory behind customization and multi-screen ability.

However, Before making a purchased I'm concerned about tthree things.

1. How smooth is this device?
2. What is the actual battery life of this device?
3. will lollipop be updated on the device when it comes out? (do u have to wait for samsung?)

I'm looking for a productivity device, which also allows me to put comic books and read the news from multiple sources.

Should I wait for nexus 8, or the next ipad?

Any thoughts?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey all.

So I'm deciding whether or not to buy this tablet. I've never owned a tablet, but have consistently used the iPad.

I seem to like the android theory behind customization and multi-screen ability.

1. How smooth is this device?
2. What is the actual battery life of this device?
3. will lollipop be updated on the device when it comes out? (do u have to wait for samsung?)

I'm looking for a productivity device, which also allows me to put comic books and read the news from multiple sources.

Any thoughts?

From what I have seen this should be an overall nice device. However, Samsung's version of Android might make this a little on the slow/lag side.
As for battery life, It might depend on a few things like what brightness setting you have, how much the screen is on, etc.
Android L (we still don't know the proper name for it yet) probably will come to the device, but you would have to wait for Samsung. If you want a device that will get updates quickly, look at the Nexus line.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
From what I have seen this should be an overall nice device. However, Samsung's version of Android might make this a little on the slow/lag side.
As for battery life, It might depend on a few things like what brightness setting you have, how much the screen is on, etc.
Android L (we still don't know the proper name for it yet) probably will come to the device, but you would have to wait for Samsung. If you want a device that will get updates quickly, look at the Nexus line.
I don't notice lag...on my tab s 10.5

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok let me preface this by saying, I am a moderate hacker and maker from the days when you could call Hong Kong for free by singing specific notes into a payphone. The new stuff I am still learning.

It sounded like you wanted an out of the box verdict. Hacking dissertations are available elsewhere. Here is what I know so far....

Not quite half of the 16 gig of storage is taken up with preloaded apps you can not delete or move to an sd card (it will accept a 128 gig sd card.) Some of these are productivity apps like Evernote. I installed Pro Office suite (74+ Mg) and was disappointed that it would not move.

Snappy. The 3 Gig of ram makes a hugh difference in loading large programs and docs quickly.

Pretty. The amazing display is the biggest battery drain, but the lowest resolution setting is still great for everything productive and not quite doubles battery life. Keeping it on the lowest setting has me at 76% remaining battery power after 7.5 hours of running the internet connection thru blue tooth while installing apps, reading docs/web pages, watching TV shows like Bones. Having it on the highest setting had me at 45% after 6ish hours of running the internet connection thru blue tooth while watching TV.

Bluetooth tethering is supported by the device so all the apps (so far) that ask to use wifi will not know your using bluetooth. I returned a couple of other devices because with out that native support the app tries to force you to turn on wifi thus alerting your carrier that you are tethering without paying extra. With the built in support, you agree to the app using wifi but the GTS 8.4 routes it through the bluetooth tether so the app does not know wifi is off and works fine. Again this is an out of the box, apps from play store discussion. For me this was HUGH because I have an old unlimited data plan from Verizon running thru a rooted Droid X.

Annoying for me... Samsung has replaced the menu key with a task manager screen allowing you to switch between apps quickly. The functions normally available from the menu button are scattered if available at all. I am sure I will eventually hunt the functions down but right now GRRRRRR.

Any specific questions?

QuantumPrime

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
One thing I'm very concerned about, is the smoothness of the transitions between apps and muti-screen ability.

I hear a lot of negative comments about touchwiz taking up so much resources that it makes the device equivalent to many low spec devices like the nexus. When paying this kind of money for a device, I do want to use it for a few years to come and have it run very nicely.

I have come to two hypothesis about the touchwiz. (a) People hate the old touchwiz and say its still bad... Or people who typically don't use the device say they've heard this. (b) touchwiz has gotten dramatically better over the years, but the internet has not yet caught up with the rumours.

In your opinion is touchwiz worth it?

Also, I wouldn't want to turn the resolution down. I wonder how long start to finish you have with wifi on until the device needs a charge.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
One thing I'm very concerned about, is the smoothness of the transitions between apps and muti-screen ability.

Flawless

Touch functions are snappy and I did not see any relevant complaints during my pre-purchase research. I am perplexed Worth what? The price was taken up by the 3 gig of ram and the OMG pretty screen.

I wonder how long start to finish you have with wifi on until the device needs a charge.

Several locations say worst case is 6 hours. Since it injures the battery to run it all the way down, I will not be repeating their findings. I can say that seems a little low as it was at 45% after 6ish hours of high res video streaming.

Also, if you are looking for many years of use; then, you need to have a plan for a techie to replace the battery in two or three years. I paid for Best Buy 3yr plan because the price of the battery and labor was more than the plan.

Here is a few responces...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/8-4-battery-life-results-t2809818

Last edited:

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

I hear a lot of negative comments about touchwiz taking up so much resources that it makes the device equivalent to many low spec devices like the nexus. When paying this kind of money for a device, I do want to use it for a few years to come and have it run very nicely.

I have come to two hypothesis about the touchwiz. (a) People hate the old touchwiz and say its still bad... Or people who typically don't use the device say they've heard this. (b) touchwiz has gotten dramatically better over the years, but the internet has not yet caught up with the rumours.

Also, I wouldn't want to turn the resolution down. I wonder how long start to finish you have with wifi on until the device needs a charge.

I am in the Boat of I like Touchwiz

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Flawless

Touch functions are snappy and I did not see any relevant complaints during my pre-purchase research. I am perplexed Worth what? The price was taken up by the 3 gig of ram and the OMG pretty screen.

I wonder how long start to finish you have with wifi on until the device needs a charge.

Several locations say worst case is 6 hours. Since it injures the battery to run it all the way down, I will not be repeating their findings. I can say that seems a little low as it was at 45% after 6ish hours of high res video streaming.

Also, if you are looking for many years of use; then, you need to have a plan for a techie to replace the battery in two or three years. I paid for Best Buy 3yr plan because the price of the battery and labor was more than the plan.

Here is a few responces...
8.4 battery life results. | Samsung Galaxy Tab S | XDA Forum

I average 4 Hours of Screen time which is what matter but I keep brightness at 60% or so

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok let me preface this by saying, I am a moderate hacker and maker from the days when you could call Hong Kong for free by singing specific notes into a payphone. The new stuff I am still learning.

It sounded like you wanted an out of the box verdict. Hacking dissertations are available elsewhere. Here is what I know so far....

Not quite half of the 16 gig of storage is taken up with preloaded apps you can not delete or move to an sd card (it will accept a 128 gig sd card.) Some of these are productivity apps like Evernote. I installed Pro Office suite (74+ Mg) and was disappointed that it would not move.

Snappy. The 3 Gig of ram makes a hugh difference in loading large programs and docs quickly.

Pretty. The amazing display is the biggest battery drain, but the lowest resolution setting is still great for everything productive and not quite doubles battery life. Keeping it on the lowest setting has me at 76% remaining battery power after 7.5 hours of running the internet connection thru blue tooth while installing apps, reading docs/web pages, watching TV shows like Bones. Having it on the highest setting had me at 45% after 6ish hours of running the internet connection thru blue tooth while watching TV.

Bluetooth tethering is supported by the device so all the apps (so far) that ask to use wifi will not know your using bluetooth. I returned a couple of other devices because with out that native support the app tries to force you to turn on wifi thus alerting your carrier that you are tethering without paying extra. With the built in support, you agree to the app using wifi but the GTS 8.4 routes it through the bluetooth tether so the app does not know wifi is off and works fine. Again this is an out of the box, apps from play store discussion. For me this was HUGH because I have an old unlimited data plan from Verizon running thru a rooted Droid X.

Annoying for me... Samsung has replaced the menu key with a task manager screen allowing you to switch between apps quickly. The functions normally available from the menu button are scattered if available at all. I am sure I will eventually hunt the functions down but right now GRRRRRR.

Any specific questions?

Just hold down the task manager for a few seconds and it will show the menu.

lillyndzer

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

I too have unlimited data through Verizon that I would like to use on my Tab S 8.4. I currently have a Galaxy s4 Phone. My question for you is did you is: route your phone yourself? After the phone is in root mode, what must be done to allow the use of data on the tablet?
Could you provide any links or informational support that will describe the necessary steps to route my phone and enable the bluetooth tethering you spoke of. (Any additional apps or downloads you used) Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey all.

1. How smooth is this device? It is very smooth, I installed the google launcher and it runs as fast as my nexus 7
2. What is the actual battery life of this device? Battery life will vary, but I use it pretty heavily and it lasts me about 2 days before needing recharged (your usage will vary)
It will get updated but you will have to wait for samsung to release it. How long that will be? Who knows, but seeing as this is their flagship tablet line, I think it, along with the s5 will get priority for getting android L first
I'm looking for a productivity device, which also allows me to put comic books and read the news from multiple sources. I read the news a lot on the tab. The screen is amazing and great for reading.

Any thoughts?

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Who cares about daily usage.... Screen time is a much better stat for battery life. My tablet lasts on average 4 hours of screen time and anywhere between 1 and 6 days depending if I use it

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Who cares about daily usage.... Screen time is a much better stat for battery life. My tablet lasts on average 4 hours of screen time and anywhere between 1 and 6 days depending if I use it

Well to me it's more relevant. I can tell you exactly what I do for daily usage, screen on time could be a lot of things. But I was just telling the person my personal experience. My bad that that gets you such in arms...

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well to me it's more relevant. I can tell you exactly what I do for daily usage, screen on time could be a lot of things. But I was just telling the person my personal experience. My bad that that gets you such in arms...
It isn't relevant.... Screen time is how much battery life you get when you are using it which is important.... Not when it is sleeping for 3 days with airplane mode on..

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It isn't relevant.... Screen time is how much battery life you get when you are using it which is important.... Not when it is sleeping for 3 days with airplane mode on..

Well seeing how my tablet is always on wifi and being used, daily usage IS relevant. And if it is that big of a deal then just ignore what I said. I was giving advice to someone. I know what type of usage I get out of the tablet and if the person asking has similar usage that is how it's relevant.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well seeing how my tablet is always on wifi and being used, daily usage IS relevant. And if it is that big of a deal then just ignore what I said. I was giving advice to someone. I know what type of usage I get out of the tablet and if the person asking has similar usage that is how it's relevant.
Which is best described by screen time which tells you how much your using that tablet while the screen is on.....

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
vubazazy.jpg
be9aneby.jpg

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Which is best described by screen time which tells you how much your using that tablet while the screen is on.....

Not really. Someone saying "i get 4 hours screen time on a tablet" means nothing to me. Phones, that is a different story. What was being done, certain tasks will drain battery quicker than others. So once again USAGE is what is more important. You see it differently so we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Not really. Someone saying "i get 4 hours screen time on a tablet" means nothing to me. What was being done, certain tasks will drain battery quicker than others. So once again USAGE is what is more important. You see it differently so we are just going to have to agree to disagree.
And your screen is on when you use your tablet and isn't on when your not using it..... Your obviously not using your tablet for 2 days because no battery exists to last 2 days....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
And your screen is on when you use your tablet and isn't on when your not using it..... Your obviously not using your tablet for 2 days because no battery exists to last 2 days....

Yes because you know exactly what I do with my tablet. Let me break it down for you. I wake up every morning, check my tablet for an hour or so before heading into work. Then once I return from work it gets used from usually around 4-12am, then while still getting notifications over night it sits next to my bed. Wake up and repeat, except usually about about 2 hours or so the next day it will need a charge. Not to mention there are devices out there that can get 2 days out of the battery. Most phones no because the batteries are tiny, but some of the moto phones and the huweai devices possibly. Once again this is my usage, not sure why you are getting so up in arms about the experience that I have with MY tablet. I do not care whether the OP buys it or not, I was just trying to give them a ballpark guesstimate. For some reason that made you get your panties in a bunch...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech