Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Time zone

New Tab S owner here. Took a vacation in Switzerland. All the IPad owners said their clocks automatically adjusted to the 6 hour time change. My Tab S still showed N.Y. time. Sure, I can see the time after searching in Global Settings, but this does not help when setting wake up alarms. Is there a setting for this to adjust time zones as I travel?

Global Posts
    19,699 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Time zone

In settings>Date and Time, there should be an automatic change, but that is dependent on an internet connection.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Sure, I get an internet connection at hotels, but it still shows the time from home rather than where I am. I do not see anything in Date & Time settings about auto time zone change.

Samsung for some reason doesn't have an auto time adjust feature for their tablets like every other tablet manufacturer. I have no idea as to why. Seems so simple to do.

ROM
    Stock, rooted JB

All of the devices on which I've seen an auto-timezone feature have some sort of phone-system connection to a tower that knows what time zone it's in, and it hands that information back to the client device. I'm trying to envision how, if I were one of the developers, I would program a wifi-only device to make such a change automatically. Maybe something like a GeoIP interface, although we've all seen wild inaccuracies in that concept, sometimes on the order of two or three time zones, which is way less accuracy than I'd want for any task that I'd be automating. I can't come up with anything offhand that's any better than my work laptop, on which I have to set the timezone by hand once I arrive at my destination. Other thoughts?