Why is Samsung Rewards the default homepage in Chrome?

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Everytime I close Chrome (which was pre-installed) I make sure to close all the tabs first.
However, When I relaunch Chrome, the homepage is some Samsung rewards page. Is this with everyone? Is there a known fix?
I would not be surprised if this is part of the Samsung OS. Annoying, its not even a helpful page.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're sure it's Chrome, and not the stock browser, right? With Chrome, if you close all tabs before switching to another app, it should just be a blank page when you open it again. Then you tap the plus button to open a new tab, which should be default new tab screen.

I wonder if Chrome for Android will sync the new tab setting from desktop Chrome. Is your desktop Chrome's new tab set to open that Samsung Rewards site? (Doubtful)

EDIT: Scratch that--the only way to modify the New Tab page in desktop Chrome is to install an extension, which shouldn't carry over to Chrome for Android.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You're sure it's Chrome, and not the stock browser, right? With Chrome, if you close all tabs before switching to another app, it should just be a blank page when you open it again. Then you tap the plus button to open a new tab, which should be default new tab screen.

I know it sounds odd. I am using the chrome browser. I even went into the OEM internet browser and changed that homepage to blank.
When ever I close all the tabs in Chrome. It will always relaunch to a Samsung Page. I'm surprised a Google Search did not turn up anything about this. I feel like i'm doing something wrong, but I'm not new to Android. I have never visited the Samsung Rewards page on my desktop ever.

Samsung Galaxy Perks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it open to the Perks page even if you open Chrome from the App Drawer, or from the Chrome app page on Google Play Store? What I'm wondering is if it might be something to do with the Chrome shortcut on your homescreen.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Does it open to the Perks page even if you open Chrome from the App Drawer, or from the Chrome app page on Google Play Store? What I'm wondering is if it might be something to do with the Chrome shortcut on your homescreen.

I have clicked open from the Play Store, and from the Samsung App Drawer. Cleared Cache. Cleared Data. Same deal..

Chrome 37.0.206

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I think that there's no way set an start page in chrome for android, so this is weird.

There's a way to avoid that. Go to chrome and open a blank page. Go to settings and click on "save to homescreen". Now you'll have a new icon. Use it to open chrome. I think it'll override your annoying Samsung thingy.

Edit. Ooooops. It doesn't work with a blank page. You have to do that with some content. 😊 Google.com will do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe if it came preinstalled, uninstall, then download playstore version.

Good thought, but I don't think that would work. If it came preinstalled, it probably can't be uninstalled--only disabled. Any updates from Google Play Store would be the same as those that other people get for Chrome.

Arif Butt

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
In chrome settings go to Basics - Home page. Click Home page, then un-check default and change the home page to whatever you want.

Samsung S5, Chrome V 37.0.2062.117

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In chrome settings go to Basics - Home page. Click Home page, then un-check default and change the home page to whatever you want.

Samsung S5, Chrome V 37.0.2062.117

Interesting--where are you seeing that? Chrome on my Nexus 5 and on my wife's Tab Pro 8.4 doesn't have a "Homepage" selection in the menu. Do you see that on your S5? Is it some exclusive setting for Chrome on a Samsung device?

Anthony McDaniel

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I believe it is something Samsung is doing. I just got a Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for Christmas and I cannot change the default Samsung page. In fact going under the menu they don't even give the option to change the homepage. I have been trying to change it for nearly 2 hours and nothing works. I am also surprised nothing really pops up on a search on Internet to resolve this. I am able to change the Dolphin browser and the default browser that came with this tablet (which is awesome btw), but can't change for chrome. Guess I will be using different browser until chrome or Samsung stops trying to hold me hostage.

Anthony McDaniel

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Okay, after messing around with this thing for a while it seems the new chrome android browser is missing the "home" button and the "change hompage" option undunder the settings menu. However, under menu tab there is an "add to homepage" option. What you have to do is close all chrome tabs and open only one tab with the website you want as your homepage, then 》click browser menu 》click add to homepage.
When I did this with my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 the browser closed and when I reopened chrome browser I had the homepage I want. Now all they need to do is put a friggin' homepage button so you can go to homepage quickly and conveniently. Try it out.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What irritates me about some of these browsers is that I canNOT set a homepage an html file on my device. The file:/// url does not work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude