messages and phone app stop working

mercuzio

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I have just bought a Samsung Tab S 8.4 but it's having a really annoying issue: when a call is missed or when a new message arrives (sms), the phone app or the messages app stop working.
It's almost as there are issues with notifications.
No other problems with any other apps ...

Anybody had encountered the same issue? Possible solutions?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You have the LTE version of the Tab S 8.4? What carrier are you using?

mercuzio

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, but that's not the cause of the issue. Because so far I've only been using it on Wi-Fi.
And besides that, it would not explain why a missed call would cause the phone app to crash ...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So is there no SIM card installed, or are you on Airplane Mode? SMS requires a voice signal, not wi-fi.

If you're not on Airplane Mode, try turning it on, then turn wi-fi back on, and see if the problem persists.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, now I'll be grasping at straws a little. Try going to Settings>Wireless & Networks>Cellular Networks>Network Operators (or any menu similar to it), and see if there are any adjustments you can make there.

mercuzio

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I tried a factory reset from phone off. Issue still persist.
I'm afraid the factory Android loaded on my Tab has issues.

Oh well, I guess I need to live with the annoying issue and hope to get an update soon

mercuzio

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Is your tab fine now??
I am having the same issue in Australia. I just bought tab yesterday.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Wow I thought I was the only one on the planet with that issue lol

No resolution found yet. I pretty much tried it all, so I believe it has to do with a corrupted rom.
Hopefully lollipop update, that is due by end of May, should fix it

Posted via the Android Central App

vaneet133

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I fixed my messages issue with hangout app. Now its working fine.
but missed call problem is bothering me.
I think if we found another dialer app replace it with samsung then error should definitely go.

mercuzio

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I tried the same. Yes another sms app can be used but no workaround for the dialer. Unless you're more patient than me!

Mark Beach

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, so there are at least three of us on the planet. Can't believe there are not more, or that software updates haven't fixed this.

I'll try hangouts too!

vaneet133

May 11, 2015
Visit site
Yaa now we are three. Waiting for the upgrade lollipop may be it will clear all the bugs that we have.
i faced 1 problem more of battery drainage. My battery drain in approximately 2 hrs? Just want to check, hws your tab batteries?
Thanks

mercuzio

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Wow, we're a team already!

The only battery issue I experienced was related to an application: Facebook Messenger.
Solution: uninstall.

You can check the app usage and verify

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith