How do I force web sites to display English?

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
How to force web sites to display english

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 last week, and it's fine for the main purpose I wanted, reading ebooks. It's been surprisingly difficult to figure out how to do what I want, because most returns to my Google searches are not responsive. I'm using my desktop, of course, because I can't figure out how to use Google Chrome. When I have been able to connect to a web site it either uses my GPS location or my IPS and thinks because I'm in Thailand I must speak and read Thai. Well, I CAN read Thai, but not easily, and I prefer using English. I eventually learned how to configure my desktop so most sites send me English, and many of the others have a choice of languages I can choose from. My question: is there a way to indicate my preference for English on the tablet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to force web sites to display english

Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean that you can't figure out Chrome? Do you mean the mobile Chrome browser on the tablet?

When you enter a website, does it automatically direct you to the version with the .th suffix in the URL, or the more common .com, .net, or .org suffixes?

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Sorry to say I sent that when I was really tired, and now I can't even remember what site it was that was sending me the Thai version. I managed to connect to two of my regular sites today and they were in English. My problem there is going to be entering the bookmarks because there doesn't seem to be any way to import them from my desktop. I think my biggest problem now is with the App Store. It keeps giving me descriptions in Thai and recommending Thai books. I feel like W.C. Fields, "It's so simple a three-year-old child could do it. Quick, bring me a three-year-old child!"

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I think you're restricted to your geographic location when using Google Play Store. Here's a workaround to access Play Store in other locations: [GUIDE] VPN - Access other countries' Play S… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

What browser do you use on your desktop? If you use Chrome, then the bookmarks there should sync automatically with your mobile Chrome (if you use that as well). There are other mobile browsers that can sync with Chrome bookmarks as well.

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for the suggestion. I've been frustrated by the difficulty in finding answers to my problems. There's a lot of information available, but most of it doesn't seem to match up with the questions I have. I guess I'll get it eventually, but I've been working with computers since 1976, and have never, even in the days of DOS 2.0, found things so unintuitive.

I use the Chrome browser on my desktop, but I also use the XMarks bookmark manage to keep my bookmarks synced between Chrome and Firefox (I only use Internet Explorer when a web site absolutely refuses to play nice with the others). The Chrome sync breaks XMarks, so I've left it turned off. I would dislike having to change that, but that may be necessary. On the other hand I tried it for a while and Chrome on my tablet did NOT show the bookmarks from my desktop. As I understand it there's supposed to be a folder called Desktop in the bookmarks, but all I had were a Samsung folder with nothing in it and a single bookmark to Yahoo! Thank you for your help and I guess this solves my immediate problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Make sure of two things:

1. Mobile Chrome needs to be set to sync with your Google account. Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings, then tap your Google account. Make sure "Sync is on" is displayed under your account name. If not, tap it, and flip the switch on to make sure Chrome sync is turned on. The other place you can do this is the main system settings--go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and make sure Chrome is checked on.

2. Make sure your desktop Chrome is signed into your Google account as well. Click on the menu button, click on Settings, and make sure your Google account is listed in the "Sign In" section.

Procopius

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site

Yes, that's what I did, but Chrome breaks XMarks. It sends multiple copies of the bookmarks, which then show up as bookmarks in Chrome, which then syncs them to XMarks and I get duplicates of the duplicates. Then I have to find the XMarks copy that doesn't have all the duplicates and restore it, which means I lose any new bookmarks I added since enabling Chrome sync. I expect to rarely use my tablet for browsing the internet; I wanted it mainly to read ebooks while I'm traveling to Bangkok (3-1/2 hours each way). I also haven't used Firefox in months, so I'm considering just disabling XMarks and using Chrome sync. I hate being forced to choose and wish Google would fix their sync, but that's not gonna happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12