Tablet S or iPad Mini 2? Help me decide Please!!

KC1000

May 20, 2015
Visit site
trying to decide between apple.com refurbished iPad Mini 2 at $249 or Amazon's just lowered Tablet S 8.4 at $279

The problem for me is Amazon's trade in value for Tablet S 8.4 is a shockingly low $38 in perfect condition, vs iPad Mini 2's $180!!!

Having owned iPad before, these things are built like tank and reliable and when come to resell it goes quickly.

However I also love the Tablet S, it's a stunning tablet, bloatware bothers to some degree but not deal breaker. And the price of $279 is pretty amazing but somehow I still haven't pulled the trigger.

Any thoughts?

AntinOz

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Using my sons iPad Mini with Retina Display (whatever they call it) was the reason I got my Tab S 8.4. I think they are both excellent devices but, at the end of the day, I prefer Android over iOS. This is personal choice. I would say, go with the OS you prefer. Either device will work well.

I keep my devices for two years at least, after which time they have no real resale anyway so that has never been a concern.

ET3D

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
As a gamer, I'm sorry that I got the Tab S 8.4. It's a lovely tablet, I enjoy reading on it, but it has compatibility problems with quite a few games I want to play, reportedly due to bad Mali drivers (according to Double Fine, whose Broken Age and Grim Fandago I would like to play but aren't available for the Tab S). Storage for the 16GB version also sucks, with the SD card being next to useless. I'm seriously considering making my next tablet an iPad just to be in an ecosystem where there are fewer compatibility issues.

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
If you plan on watching movies on it, then the Tab S is the clear choice. Better screen, and better format (16:9) for movies. I use mine primarily for watching movies at work when it's slow, and displaying my photographs (my second job is as a photographer). So for me there was really no other choice than the Tab S. No other tablet can match its color accuracy, 94% of Adobe RGB, compared to the iPad Mini 2 with it's abysmal 66%.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
trying to decide between apple.com refurbished iPad Mini 2 at $249 or Amazon's just lowered Tablet S 8.4 at $279

The problem for me is Amazon's trade in value for Tablet S 8.4 is a shockingly low $38 in perfect condition, vs iPad Mini 2's $180!!!

Having owned iPad before, these things are built like tank and reliable and when come to resell it goes quickly.

However I also love the Tablet S, it's a stunning tablet, bloatware bothers to some degree but not deal breaker. And the price of $279 is pretty amazing but somehow I still haven't pulled the trigger.

Any thoughts?

I have a nVidia Shield, a Nexus 7, a 64GB iPad Mini and this 32GB Tab S 8.4 and for me the clear winner in this Tab S 8.4. Second is the iPad and 3rd is the nVidia Shield tablet.

The Tab S is as fluid as the iPad Mini and it has been rock stable for me. I don't play many games on it (that's the nVidia's chore) but watching movies while traveling, exchanging E-mails and some gaming is just fine. The iPad Mini is great and super stable BUT after a while an Android user like me felt hemmed in.

shief24

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
We basically have the same uses for the tablet. And I am a prospective buyer -admittedly I have went to BestBuy and stood there testing it out for a few hours. I really want to buy this but in Canada I don't see a 32 gb option. I want to watch movies/ on my lunch break and when I travel. I also want to store and look at my photos -I do photography as a hobby now. Do you ever feel space limited? I read in another thread people have complained that they're running out of space and I am worried I will have to work to actively manage the tablet.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We basically have the same uses for the tablet. And I am a prospective buyer -admittedly I have went to BestBuy and stood there testing it out for a few hours. I really want to buy this but in Canada I don't see a 32 gb option. I want to watch movies/ on my lunch break and when I travel. I also want to store and look at my photos -I do photography as a hobby now. Do you ever feel space limited? I read in another thread people have complained that they're running out of space and I am worried I will have to work to actively manage the tablet.

So Best Buy, Canada does not have the 32gig unit?

As far as videos and photographs, they can be stored on sd cards and I believe 128 gig cards are now available that work on the Tab S (check that out before buying). But the internal space is limiting if you want tons of apps or for apps that do not or cannot store their associated data on sd cards.

shief24

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
So Best Buy, Canada does not have the 32gig unit?

As far as videos and photographs, they can be stored on sd cards and I believe 128 gig cards are now available that work on the Tab S (check that out before buying). But the internal space is limiting if you want tons of apps or for apps that do not or cannot store their associated data on sd cards.

Yeah in Canada we only have the 16 gb version at best buy. Also futureshop closed down so it's pretty much the only place I can go to for it. I think download apps will be a big thing for me especially since my iPhone is only 16gb and I'm struggling for space. So I was looking for a tablet to serve as a hub to hold my apps, photos, podcasts and videos. And of course android has SD card support. I don't think 16gb internal will be enough for me to have a good amount of apps so I guess I have to either make a trip to the US or explore other options. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the 32gb version with a 64gb micro sd card in it. I've had no issues running out of space. I currently have 16 movies (most in 1080p, but a couple are only 720p) loaded on my micro sd card, and still have 24gb free. I also use a sd card reader with a micro usb connection for showing images on location at photo shoots, and I have another micro usb to usb cable for plugging usb flash drives into my tablet. So you do have other options than just the internal memory.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
As a gamer, I'm sorry that I got the Tab S 8.4. It's a lovely tablet, I enjoy reading on it, but it has compatibility problems with quite a few games I want to play, reportedly due to bad Mali drivers (according to Double Fine, whose Broken Age and Grim Fandago I would like to play but aren't available for the Tab S). Storage for the 16GB version also sucks, with the SD card being next to useless. I'm seriously considering making my next tablet an iPad just to be in an ecosystem where there are fewer compatibility issues.

I second that the storage option of 16 gb sucks. I have 1 gb of free space left and I have 0 games on my tablet. I had to uninstall badland and a zombie shooter game I had. also agree the iPad is just more reliable especially if you're talking about the tablet ecosystem

Posted via the Android Central App

Ezzat Al Omari

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Productivity + media consumption + light gaming = tab S
Media consumption + graphically demanding games = iPad mini 2

Or you can get the TAB pro 8.4 which is the best of worlds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2