new droid, bought my 1st Galaxy tab s 8.4 - why is it slow out of the box..?

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I saw the specs and the tab s and was instantly drawn to it. I bought one. My home is mainly mac, I have an iPad air but the galaxy tab seemed like it would be more portable and faster. It's more portable only.

It's updated and on lollipop 5.0.2, I'm running the Google launcher. I have taken every app it came with off it I could except tons of apps I am unable to remove. My ram on boot is at 2g out of 3.... with nothing running.
With only Firefox or Chrome I have 400m-600m ram left only.

Swiping between windows is choppy. In a browser scripting is choppy.

I'm not sure if rooting it is a good idea, but I'm running out of options.

I want to back up my settings and launcher layout and I don't see an option for that. (I'm debating going back to kit kat)

This isn't a dis but my iPad experience out of the box had no real performance issues At all.

I like this grab but I'm getting frustrated.

Suggestions?

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
You can try a cache partition wipe, and maybe a factory reset and see if that helps. Factory reset will put the Tab back to the way it came, wiping your data.

Soapm

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered a Tab S, I sure hope I have a better out of the box experience. It would suck to waste $300 on a slow, choppy tablet...

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, I did the cache partition wipe. marginal results.
I then reset to factory and set up as a new device.

Same issue. With google apps and samsung my ram is 2/3s used up before I do anything..
Opening my browser and I go to 400-600M free ram.

I took everything out of the start up and still no change.

I'm about to return it or root it. Samsung has so much bloatware and I cannot remove/disable it... My iPad with 1G ram is running more smooth, this shouldn't be the case, the tab s kicks it's *** in hardware!

Should I root this? I'm wishing I'd bought the nexus at this point...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm in love with the screen and size of this and it's depressing because of the performance.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm done with this tab s. Out of the box and unrooted the experience has been poor at best. This site loaded in chrome is a nightmare of choppy and slow scrolling. My free ram is 400m only running chrome.

I've been using it for the last 4 hours and it has been a chore.

I'm pretty sure it's the mountain of bloatwear from Samsung soaking up the ram. Very sad that such a nice design and amazing screen is overshadowed by such inexcusable poor performance. I doubt I'll shop Samsung again for tablets.

I'm exchanging it for the nexus 9 tomorrow.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Did you get Nexus 9 instead?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I did. I'm much happier. It has better benchmarks over all with a few exceptions and no lag/chop like the tab did.

Samsung makes great hardware but crappy software. Inefficient coding. The nexus is more purist, all Google. Their software is good.

MikezDroid

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thx man. Gonna pick up a Nexus 9 soon. Iwould say it's a little overpriced though

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I don't know what HTC or LG costs but they have good ratings. Another thought is the new nexus 9 should be out soon so there will be sales for the current (or wait for the new one ) :)

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22