Has anyone used a 128GB memory card on his Tab S.8.4? Mine cannot write.

schicco

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone used a 128GB on his Tab S.8.4? Samsung told me it supports only up to 64GB Micro SD Card despite their website marketing it as a device that supports up to 128GB memory card. Everyone, Amazon, Best Buy etc. is selling it as a device that supports 128GB memory card.

I put a 4 GB Micro SD card and it worked with no problem.

My problem started when I put a 128BG Samsung micro SD card and couldn’t write. I had a chat online with Samsung and the guy walked me thru some troubleshooting and concluded that the problem was with a faulty SD card and told me to contact place of purchase. I exchanged the memory card for a SanDisk 128GB Micro SD, still it couldn’t write.
I contacted Samsung who told me to send it to their service center in New Jersey. They returned it with a note saying “Your Device has been tested to support up to a 64GB memory card”.

On 8-28-15 I had an online chat with Samsung, I explained my story and here is the confusion; He said;

Nelson.I: As per the specification we have, it shows 128GB.
Nelson.I: Specification of model SM-T700NTSAXAR.
Nelson.I: Oh I see that the tablet supports MicroSD card up to 64 GB actually.
Steve: So you have different models of Tab s 8.4?
Nelson.I: There are 2 models.
Steve: Which model supports the 128gb?
Nelson.I: There are 2 models and none of them supports 128GB.
Steve: But how come your website says 128GB?
I gave him the Samsung link, I tried to post the link here but could not.
Nelson.I: Yes, I know. I will file a ticket to the appropriate department who manages the web site content so they can correct it.

Has Samsung deceived consumers? Is this an issue for the Federal Trade Commission?

Steve

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
This is curious. When you installed the 128gb card, did the tablet recognize it? Did you format the card? Did you get any errors about the card?

Numerous posts on Amazon state it supports 128gb, although, I only did a search of the reviews. I don't actually know if anyone had really installed/used one... I didn't read that far.

schicco

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
The tablet can recognize the 128gb card, and it can even even format it, but when it comes to moving files or creating a folder it says "Creation failed".

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Where did you buy the card from? You might want to run SD Insight against it to verify authenticity.

Also, what is the card formatted to? I believe 128gb default is exFat... (actually anything above 32gb). Have you tried Fat32? Windows will not format drives above 32gb, so you can try this free program by Partition Magic called EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition. I use it to format my 64gb to Fat32 just so Windows XP can read it too. The Note 4 also reads it fine. I'm not going to say which is better, exFat or Fat32, but you can try it to see if it makes any difference.

NOTE: EaseUS is powerful and will pick up all the drives on the PC. Make sure you pick the SD Card to format and not anything else! If you need help with the program, there is a "Help" on the program menu that'll take you to the help website.

schicco

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Samsung 128gb SD from Best buy.
The second one Sandisk 128gb was from UsadiscountWarehouse.com
I am not sure what the tablet formatted them to, but with my computer I formatted them to exFat

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc