Samsung moving to 4:3 aspect ratio from 16:10. Good or Bad?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
What are thoughts on moving to 4:3 aspect vs staying with 16:10.

I personally prefer the 16:10 mainly for watching movies and TV shows.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I usually use tablets for movies so I prefer 16:10. But I can understand why Samsung chose to go 4:3 to compete with the ipad. For non movie viewing, 4:3 is better, imo.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not so sure it is a good move overall. People will most likely buy this device to watch videos.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would not like it if they move to a 4:3 ratio... multiwindow is better in 16:9, movies obviously fit better, even screen mirroring would be borked if you use 4:3 (to the best of my knowledge there are no 4:3 TV's out there capable of screen mirroring, but I might be wrong).
But can we have a Tab S Note, please? :D

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The Tab S2 has 4:3 ratio and i think it is a very good move by Samsung as 4:3 ratio is way better for stuff like web browsing, playing games, reading books, and productivity tasks(office work, Video editing) lots more.

And the 16:10 ratio is only good watching videos and not soo good for anything else.

It is AWESOME that Manufacturers like Samsung, Google are now realizing that 16:10 ratio is not good for tablets and now moving to 4:3 ratio for tablets as it is a way better ratio for tablets.

Anyway i can't wait to get my hands on one and play around with it!! :D :D :D

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
In the 8-inch version I prefer 4:3 because I use small tablets more often as an e-reader in portrait orientation. On a larger tablet 16:10 is preferable because I use that more often in landscape for web browsing and videos.

lillygirl7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems like Samsung is removing everything good from their products that sets it apart from Apple. This is just one more thing that I preferred with my Tab S from my iPad. It's unfortunate. But things change.

Posted via the Android Central App

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
For the everyday person...I feel like 4:3 is better...and that is what Samsung needs to target to compete against Apple.

4:3 is better for reading, web surfing, etc. All android needs now is a PDF reader comparable to pdf expert on iOS and I would buy one right away. I got rid of my ipad, and am missing having a tablet, but am unwilling to buy another Apple product. I got rid of all my Apple products after getting screwed over with my Macbook.

I can understand that watching movies, games, etc may be better on a tablet with the 16:9 ratio, but to assume that people are buying these tablets largely to watch movies would seem to be incorrect. People buy tvs to watch movies. They buy computers to do work, and often buy consoles/computers for playing games. The ability to play mobile games, which is a huge market, is just a plus side to the tablet. Games work fine on the iPad, as they do an android tablets...and not a large percentage of people buy tablets for certain features, such as multi window. I am speaking in terms of volume, not die hard tech fans.

Samsung has to do something to keep penetrating into Apple's share, so maybe this is the thing they are trying now.

I just wish they used a higher quality processor, comparable to the iPad. No android tablet seems to come close, which is a negative if you consider performance and longevity per dollar.

M Stuart

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Even Apple is somewhat having trouble in relative terms selling tablets these days so while it's disappointing I can understand why they're refraining from using heir latest tech on tablets and targeting high-end phones instead.

Maybe I'm biased since I don't game on tablets so I'm not that worried about raw performance, which I believe has reached "good enough" already. There's the question of how it compares to the iPad Air which is indeed quite more powerful at the same price point even almost a year later, but things don't look so bad when you consider the 32GB of baseline storage plus SD card as opposed to 16GB, no expandable storage and a steep premium cost for additional storage.

The truly concerning bit on the Tab S2 specs for me is battery life. The Tab S had a much bigger battery and it fell short of 8 hours of browsing time on Anandtech's tests, so it's not looking goog for the Tab S2 and its 6000mAh battery, even if the display is more efficient and it has less pixels to push.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I just wish they used a higher quality processor, comparable to the iPad. No android tablet seems to come close, which is a negative if you consider performance and longevity per dollar.

Exynos 5433 Is very powerful but few apps/games take full advantage of the power of the Exynos 5433 which is a octa core.

But i agree that there Samaung flagship phones like the Samsung Galaxy S6 is more powerful then there flagship tablets which is a shame.. :/

To be honest it should the other way around....

Think of it this way the Exynos 5433 is a lot more powerful and power efficient than the Snapdragon 805 and Exynos 5420(that was in the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and 10.5).

The only CPU's that is better then Exynos 5433 is the Snapdragon 810 and the NVIDIA Tegra K1 and the Apple's A8X.

Last edited:

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I understand and completely agree. The processor in most of the flagship mobile devices these days far outpace the needs and usage of the average consumer. Honestly, there isn't really much on these mobile devices (outside of some games on iOS and for Nividia Shield) that really utilize the full processing power.

It more of the fact of the matter I guess. These devices will cost close to the same as the ipad, which they are meant to compete with, right? Yet they are already outclassed by the current gen Apple AX8, and will be even more so by the next gen processor (assuming we get an ipad air 3 this year, we may not). The screen may be better on the tab, but its already great on the iPad, so dollar for dollar its less for your money. When paying this much for a device, its nice to know you are getting the best tech that company has available to the consumer. The Apple AX8 is powerful enough to be relevant for another 2-3 from today, almost a year after its release. That is what gets me, I guess. I essentially expected the newer Exynos to be on board. The lack of either seems to be due to profit margins, an inability to manufacturer enough processors, or possibility an effort to clear out hte warehouses of the older gen processors.

Again, I understand the power is more than adequate. My whole view would/will change if it happens to be priced lower.

That being said, doesn't the S2 have UFS? If so, that is a nice upgrade.

Essentially, I really hope Samsung refines the interface, because that is the real thing that that could make the new gen tab feel faster and future proof.

I am really interested in this device and eagerly, if a bit cautiously, await the reviews.

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Not overly fussed about the screen format, just wish Samsung would make a tablet with amoled screen AND an S pen. I'd buy it straight away. I guess their marketing people are saying it'd be too expensive but I wish they'd try it and find out. Now that would differentiate them from Apple!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Not overly fussed about the screen format, just wish Samsung would make a tablet with amoled screen AND an S pen. I'd buy it straight away. I guess their marketing people are saying it'd be too expensive but I wish they'd try it and find out. Now that would differentiate them from Apple!

This! We need a new high end tablet with the screen and pen.

rcketscientist

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people who have an exceptionally narrow use case (derp I facebooks on my derplet) make blanket statements about the usefulness of the de facto standard resolution (16:10). It is far superior for all media viewing (save for those Buck Rogers reruns). Video tends to be 16:9, check. Imagery tends to be 3:2, check. Gaming tends to be 16:10 (9). There is a reason that a majority of quality desktop panels have been 16:10 for eternity. And they don't even rely on a app ecosystem that has designed towards 16:10 (9) for 5 years. The only thing that might fair better on a 4:3 is a ****ty website. If it's designed properly it will scale better on 16:10 and you may even end up with more border on 4:3 (wasted battery draining white space).

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had the S 8.4 for quite some time, but I just bought the S2 8.0. Why? BECAUSE of the 4:3 screen. Gosh folks, don't presume that whatever it is that you do with your technology is what everyone else does with theirs -- I'm quite sure that people are spread all across the spectrum. So, no, I don't buy 8-inch tablets to watch videos on, though I might do that every now and then. I do a lot of web surfing, book reading, document viewing and editing, picture viewing, and music playback. Watching videos is towards the lower end of my priority list.

As for my quick thoughts, the processor is fast enough, but the biggest attraction is that screen -- which, of course, is awesome. So, it's the screen shape and quality that caused me to walk into a store and plop down 400 bucks on this tablet -- nothing else from any other manufacturer interests me one bit.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I've had the S 8.4 for quite some time, but I just bought the S2 8.0. Why? BECAUSE of the 4:3 screen. Gosh folks, don't presume that whatever it is that you do with your technology is what everyone else does with theirs -- I'm quite sure that people are spread all across the spectrum. So, no, I don't buy 8-inch tablets to watch videos on, though I might do that every now and then. I do a lot of web surfing, book reading, document viewing and editing, picture viewing, and music playback. Watching videos is towards the lower end of my priority list.

As for my quick thoughts, the processor is fast enough, but the biggest attraction is that screen -- which, of course, is awesome. So, it's the screen shape and quality that caused me to walk into a store and plop down 400 bucks on this tablet -- nothing else from any other manufacturer interests me one bit.

alfmeister

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
The S PEN technology is licensed from Wacom. In case you never heard of Wacom, they make high end tablets for graphic artists. Wacom would love for you to buy a nice high resolution tablet from them. You can get a nice 13 inch CINTIQ13HD with a 1920x1080 display for around $800. Samsung is licensed to use their lower resolution display technology. I'm writing this on a Galaxy Note 8.0.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey