Trouble with Fingerprint Sensor

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having trouble with the fingerprint sensor? Over %50 of the time the tablet will not recognize my fingerprint. I've reset it multiple times and done the same finger for multiple inputs. Still not working very well. Anyone else?

Nquateman

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Tab S2 for less than a week. I wouldn't say that I'm having problems with the fingerprint sensor, I'd be inclined to say that I'm getting used to it. So far, it has never taken on the first try, and not often on the second try. But, I'm also getting used to the correct placement of my thumb, and I think the success rate is improving. I like the feature, so I'm going to stick with it for a while longer.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine works well, on the first or second try every time (1st try about 4/5 times). For training and activation I use a very light touch, just enough to flatten the finger skin on the sensor. Nowhere near enough to activate the button.

Nquateman

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine works well, on the first or second try every time (1st try about 4/5 times). For training and activation I use a very light touch, just enough to flatten the finger skin on the sensor. Nowhere near enough to activate the button.
That's a good tip about using a light touch. I noticed this in the past day or so. I was pushing the button, as if to go to the home screen. When I noticed that you can almost hover your thumb, the success rate went up. I might try resetting with this in mind to see if that further improves the feature. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
That's a good tip about using a light touch. I noticed this in the past day or so. I was pushing the button, as if to go to the home screen. When I noticed that you can almost hover your thumb, the success rate went up. I might try resetting with this in mind to see if that further improves the feature. Thanks.

Same here. Good tip. Did you rest it with a light touch yet, and if so how did that work out?

Nquateman

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Good tip. Did you rest it with a light touch yet, and if so how did that work out?
Yes, I reset the fingerprint feature. Not only using a lighter touch, but also moving the position of my thumb up and down more aggressively. The device gives you that instruction, but it makes more sense after you've been using the feature for a bit. It seems to have helped, it'll take a couple of days to get a better reading on success.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I registered all the fingerprints the s2 allowed me to register, i did this with my note 5 also and it seems like registering the same fingers in different angles works good for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gertwan de Wildt

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else having trouble with the fingerprint sensor? Over %50 of the time the tablet will not recognize my fingerprint. I've reset it multiple times and done the same finger for multiple inputs. Still not working very well. Anyone else?
Clean the sensor! Probably greasy.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T810 met Tapatalk

bobng

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I've cleaned the sensor, re registered the fingerprints and tried doing it lightly still does not work most of the time? Note 5 phone works just great.

Nquateman

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I've cleaned the sensor, re registered the fingerprints and tried doing it lightly still does not work most of the time? Note 5 phone works just great.
Sorry to hear it's not performing for you. My experience is the opposite. After following these tips and resetting the fingerprint, I'm finding almost complete success on the first try.

NeilQ, Los Angeles from Note 4

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine has always worked on the first try. When I set it up I do all kinds of different angles up down sideways the tip of my thumb so whatever position I use it in it will work. And that seams to have worked to this point 100% of the time

Posted via the Android Central App

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine only worked 10% - 20% of the time, even though I initially moved my thumb around as they instructed during setup, and I got tired of several failed tries followed by entering my backup pswd. So since I only use it at home anyway, I finally just changed it to "swipe" instead :)

LazyLightning

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I only have experience with the iPhone fingerprint sensor which works great. This S2 works maybe 20% of the time. Seems like i'm typing my backup password in a lot.

Is there a way to set the device up so that if the fingerprint sensor has no match I can use a pattern swype or a 4 digit pin?

Very disappointed with this sensor

Max1001001

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I had my Galaxy Tab S2 for a whole 20 minutes before it would not accept my fingerprint anymore & locked me out. Only wanted a backup password. I didn't have a backup password. Had to do a factory restore to get back in. Put in a PIN password & never fooled with the fingerprint reader again.

mikeytg1024

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I find that the sensor won't work well when my fingers are stripped of oil, like after washing dishes. If I just rub my thumb on my forehead to re-grease it the sensor works fine again.