Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 power button stopped working

LoveMyBostonT

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Just like the title says. Updated with all the updates, but just recently stopped working. Every now and then it will work, but if you ask me to reboot, well I just can't. It almost seems like a loose solder joint. Do I pay to get it fixed? Or buy a new one ugh

This happens whether it's plugged in or not.

Volume still works

Filipe Brun Machado

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I have exactly the same issue. I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem, with the button or cables. It looks more like a bug in the software. Already did a factory reset but the problem remains.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Same here. A reboot fixes but not easy to reboot without the power button.

I tried the auto restart but that doesn't appear to work either.

Filipe Brun Machado

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Lately i started to think that it might be as stated above a problem with the flat cable. When it stops working i press the screen over the buttons and it apparentely works! Can anybody who has the same problem confirm this.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Worked today when I went to took it out of my laptop bag. Wasn't working the day before.

Will try your test - seems feasible. Mine is packed tight in my bag so could explain.

Filipe Brun Machado

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
I'm still testing it. The other thing i noticed is that it usually happens when the battery is at approximately 20%. It could also be a battery problem. All this can be simple coincidences... Still testing. Will post has soon as i find the reason.

Edit: Disregard the clue from the battery. Just drained the battery through 20% charge and it worked flawlessly. I think it's definitely a problem witn the connector. Looking alson at the connector that Beut gently posted above, it's a connector that works apparently by contact pressure so....

Last edited:

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Lately i started to think that it might be as stated above a problem with the flat cable. When it stops working i press the screen over the buttons and it apparentely works! Can anybody who has the same problem confirm this.

This seems to be my problem. Last few times the power button has stopped I have squeezed the screen right by the power button and it fixes it. Must be the connector.

JCGS7

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
Been having the same problem for months and couldn't find a solution, but now this -- pressing the bezel just next to power button as press the power button -- does fix it. Annoying workaround rather than a solution, but thanks!

slb999

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
This seems to be my problem. Last few times the power button has stopped I have squeezed the screen right by the power button and it fixes it. Must be the connector.

Many thanks for this process. My S2 started having problems with powering off. Pressing the screen as described works! Sometimes to power back on I need to press the home button as well, though.

jplindvall

Mar 29, 2020
Visit site
Same problem here. I notice that when I let it unattended for a moment then it will react to power button. So definitively a bug. But since there's been no software upgrades in a long time and this started to occur sometime this year, it triggers even the suspicion of programmed aging.

Andrew Chang4

Nov 6, 2021
Visit site

You are right!
Finally, I solved the power button problem thanks to you.
I appreciate your good solution.

AntonOfTheWoods

May 3, 2022
Visit site

5 years later and this trick is still working! This (8" version) tablet is an absolute trooper, and its longevity is 100% what convinced me to shell out $1k for a new S22+!