Are you going to upgrade to the Tab S3?

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For any Tab or Tab S2 owners out there, are you going to upgrade when the S3 comes out? What are you hoping for? Will pricing be a huge factor?

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Have had it one week. It is excellent for what I paid, lol. But if i were to actually pay money for the premium tablet prices being charged, i would get an iPad instead. I own and use both platforms and I can be functional in both OS. However, Apple support/security/updates beats Samsung by far.

My older Samsung Tab 7.0 Plus never got one official update in Canada in all the years that i owned it. I had to download an update from Europe. I also rooted and tried some custom roms but they were all glitchy and you had to put your trust in some stranger developer. I am not going to do that anymore.

And this S2 has a serious security design flaw, imo. Go to your lockscreen and tap the top right hand corner. Anybody can login as a "guest" or create a new user without a password and login to your tablet to browse or access your SD card. Your internal storage still appears to be safe. But any stranger can still enter and play. Crazy.

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
There is a thread about it the S2 forum and other discussions in other forums. So far no fix by Samsung. There may be a do-it-yourself fix which requires root. But I am not going to mess with that.

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Some people blame it on Android marshmallow. However, i have a Nexus 5 on marshmallow and it does not have this vulnerability. So it is definitely a Samsung issue. Maybe it is a twisted design to allow you to find a lost or stolen tablet. In other words, allow the thief or finder to play with your tablet to give you a chance to use the locator app.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty excited about the Tab S3... I don't know why people seem to be so down on tablets lately. I've been reading that tablet sales are down across the board but I guess that's another topic altogether... All I know is I really like tablets and am willing to pay a premium for a quality one that will last and perform well. That's why I will probably be picking this one up... It seems to be one of the best if not THE best Android tablet of 2017.

espio

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm still extremely happy with my Tab S2. I traded in my original 2012 Nexus 7 for it the week it came out because my beloved Nexus was painfully slow by 2015.

This Tab S2 is still very fast and does everything I need it to do. I also prefer the Samsung Bluetooth keyboard cover for this model better than the one shown in leaks doe the S3. I like the idea of the S-Pen on a tablet, but for what I use it for, the Adonit Jot Stylus works great.

M Stuart

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Probably not, at least initially. The thing that I wanted most was a display upgrade, and HDR or not, it's still left at 264 dpi. There's little on the Tab S3 to justify the insanely high price in my opinion.

There's also the matter of support. If I'm going to pay that crazy amount of money, I expect top support as well. And with Samsung, you know their level of software support ranges from "OKish: two major updates for the original Tab S" to "non-existent: ZERO updates for the Tab Pro". So there...

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I shouldn't as Tab S2 8 inches still flies like I just bought it yesterday. But knowing me, I'll cave in eventually and get one. Can't resist phones and tablets. Same upgrade struggle on yearly basis.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Will definitely upgrade to the S3. No issues with my S2 9.7, except I wish the battery life was better. But, time for an upgrade.

stoitchog

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Shame Samsung hasn't given release dates
Bestbuy.ca accepts preorders with a release date set to March 24 and a price of $799.99 CAD.
I found on internet that this date was announced by Samsung in a press release.
They also said that the preorders will get a free bookcover, but bestbuy.ca doesn't have any info on this.