Are you going to upgrade to the Tab S3?

KensonPlays

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Just got mine last night. Loving it so far, although I am looking for a case and think I found one. Great device compared to my previous Samsung tablet (I forget which model, but it was a 7 inch, and pretty slow (2gb memory or less I think).

camperbc

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Loving my new S3, and even though it cost a whopping $920 here in Canada, ($800 plus 15% sales tax) I have no regrets. But I don't understand how/why Samsung Canada still does not have any covers available for this tablet... I ended up ordering my cover online from Germany.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
For any Tab or Tab S2 owners out there, are you going to upgrade when the S3 comes out? What are you hoping for? Will pricing be a huge factor?

We are Note 12.2 and 10.1 (2014) users. Other than the really nice, larger S-Pen, there isn't another compelling reason to "upgrade" to the S3. That said I did purchase one (which allows me a better comparison). Why did I get one? It was before I found a place to fix the 12.2 and 10.1 typical problems.

Yes, there may be minor improvement (speed in some actions, a slightly better screen, Nougat that the other two won't ever get), but there isn't a activity/project we can't do now. Of course, years down the road apps we have now may no longer be supported under lollypop. That will be far enough down the road that our current Tabs' HW will need replacing.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure about this? I'm betting it Does work on the Note5. Remember that no other pain will work on it until and unless you remove the S Pen that's in the device. I'm thinking that once you take the pin out of your Note 5, the larger pen should work just fine.

You're right. I removed the s pen and the one from the S3 does work. I didn't know the pen had to be removed first. I've seen many post where people have said the bought an extra s pen so they didn't have to remove the one in the phone. That made no sense to me, but I assumed they left the pen in the slot.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Well, since they are dragging their feet with the LTE version, Microsoft's new Surface Pro this week is showing its going to offer LTE versions. Might just replace my computer and get that instead. More money, but a alot more I can do with it.

Blabbermouth

May 25, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone with the keyboard find that if used, it will disable any 3rd party on screen keyboard(swype etc) after disconnecting the keyboard ? That's one thing I found with my samsung note 2 phone after I disconnected my bluetooth keyboard using 'samsung keyboard input'.

I'm just deciding whether to get the keyboard case or not

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
You're right. I removed the s pen and the one from the S3 does work. I didn't know the pen had to be removed first. I've seen many post where people have said the bought an extra s pen so they didn't have to remove the one in the phone. That made no sense to me, but I assumed they left the pen in the slot.

You just need to disable pen detection in your settings and it will work with the other pen while the one for the phone is in the slot.

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I just picked mine up yesterday. Best Buy was having a deal if you buy the Tab S3 the keyboard case comes free....i was debating on getting a surface but it's double the price with the keyboard.

My Tab S 10.5 died this weekend the screen went black but sound buttons work (weird) but I got that at launch so it's been like over 2 years.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I have a mint condition Tab S 10.5 that I use for Netflix. I don't need anything else. I like the screen ratio on the 10.5 more than the S2 and S3.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Have had it one week. It is excellent for what I paid, lol. But if i were to actually pay money for the premium tablet prices being charged, i would get an iPad instead. I own and use both platforms and I can be functional in both OS. However, Apple support/security/updates beats Samsung by far.

If I already owned a bunch of apple stuff, I can see your point.

But.....I'm locked into Android. The S3 looks like the best Android tablet. Just ordered.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Recently I've been debating picking one of these up... right now I'm using a 10.5" iPad Pro for my Apple needs and an Asus ZenPad Z8 8" nougat tablet with 4G on Verizon for my Android needs...

As I have movies and tv shows on both Itunes and Google Play it is necessary for me to have both platforms. Plus, the iPad Pro 10.5 and Z8 are entirely different beasts... so... there's nothing wrong with my Z8: its fast, smooth, great size for ebooks and movies look great on that QHD display especially at 8". So this upgrade to the S3 is not really necessary per say. Benefits of the S3 over the Z8- well, the S3 has that glass back which I love the feel of in-store whenever I go to BB and play around with it. Then there's the Super AMOLED screen which is stunning! Comes with SPen which is a huge plus...

So those are the main benefits for me. The only downsides to the S3 replacing my Z8 are price, size, and the fact that it wouldn't have LTE unless I paid even more... the other option though is to just get the S3 and use it in addition to the Z8 as opposed to replacing it with the S3. But then I'd be carrying around 3 tablets... is that excessive?

I'm very tempted but will have to do some more thinking on this. Another factor is that the S3 is not getting any younger at about 5 or 6 months into its life span and a new model could always be on the way, maybe early next year for instance. Decisions, decisions...

Any thoughts?

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Recently I've been debating picking one of these up... right now I'm using a 10.5" iPad Pro for my Apple needs and an Asus ZenPad Z8 8" nougat tablet with 4G on Verizon for my Android needs...

As I have movies and tv shows on both Itunes and Google Play it is necessary for me to have both platforms. Plus, the iPad Pro 10.5 and Z8 are entirely different beasts... so... there's nothing wrong with my Z8: its fast, smooth, great size for ebooks and movies look great on that QHD display especially at 8". So this upgrade to the S3 is not really necessary per say. Benefits of the S3 over the Z8- well, the S3 has that glass back which I love the feel of in-store whenever I go to BB and play around with it. Then there's the Super AMOLED screen which is stunning! Comes with SPen which is a huge plus...

So those are the main benefits for me. The only downsides to the S3 replacing my Z8 are price, size, and the fact that it wouldn't have LTE unless I paid even more... the other option though is to just get the S3 and use it in addition to the Z8 as opposed to replacing it with the S3. But then I'd be carrying around 3 tablets... is that excessive?

I'm very tempted but will have to do some more thinking on this. Another factor is that the S3 is not getting any younger at about 5 or 6 months into its life span and a new model could always be on the way, maybe early next year for instance. Decisions, decisions...

Any thoughts?

Hmm, buying another premium tablet just for your tv and movies? Why not just maintain your shows in iTunes from now on?

Dun think tablet will be updated so fast, at least two years cycle or more looking at the trend

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, buying another premium tablet just for your tv and movies? Why not just maintain your shows in iTunes from now on?

Dun think tablet will be updated so fast, at least two years cycle or more looking at the trend

You make very good points... I mean I could buy my entire google play library on iTunes for much less than the price of a tab S3. I only have 2 seasons of shows on my google play account and about 5 or 6 movies... most of my media is on iTunes already...

Plus, my iPad Pro has 256 GB of storage so I won't be running out of space anytime soon either!

I'll probably do that instead. The Tab S3 is tempting but not necessary in my situation I guess. I'll probably be better off saving the money and picking up a Note 8 to replace my V20 when Samsung releases it...

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Finite case from Amazon. It has a very secure snap-in holder for the Spen, instead of the cheesy elastic ones that most cases have. And the magnetic case flap folds over it. The S-Pen is VERY well protected in this case. And there are two versions, one of which includes a blue tooth keyboard that is held in place with a magnet and can be removed when you don't want to carry the keyboard around. VERY nice case.