Galaxy Tab S3 - No 8 inch version this time?

A

AC Question

The Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" is one of the best tablets I've ever used. Why no 8" version this time with the S3? Other than iPad Mini 4, what is the best "other" LTE 8" tablet out there? Thanks!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Maybe demand wasn't t good?
Which is surprising but mostly likely the reason yes. If you think about it. We have S8 plus now with 6.2 inches. And God Knows that size Note 8 is coming at, close to 7 inches? So why do we need an 8 inch tablet? Lol

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I am sure Samsung will get around to an 8 inch S3. This is the company that has made tablets in 7", 7.7", 8", 8.4", 8.9,", 9.7", 10.1", 10.5", 12.2", 18.4" and will probably run through all the vowels A, E, I, O ,U and maybe Y.

TommyRXE

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Been using the Barnes and Noble S2 8". Perfect portable size and great specs and price. Disappointed no S3 8". Would have thought about an upgrade otherwise. Will wait to see if Samsung changes their mind with the S4 8". Think they underestimated what sales would had been for an S3 8". A missed opportunity for Samsung - and the consumer. This being said by someone who recently went from years of being a very happy Blackberry user to going all in with a Samsung Tab 4 7.0 NOOK, Tab S3 NOOK, Galaxy S7, and Gear S3 Frontier.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If Apple updates the iPad Mini, I think Samsung will respond. I don't think they'll let Apple go unchallenged in any niche. Still, we could be looking at a 6-9 month wait...

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
You guys should check out the Huawei MediaPad 8.0 it is a great tablet for $299/$349 32/64 gb. It is a great tablet and works good. It is skinned with EMUI but I just installed Nova Launcher and all is well.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
You guys should check out the Huawei MediaPad 8.0 it is a great tablet for $299/$349 32/64 gb. It is a great tablet and works good. It is skinned with EMUI but I just installed Nova Launcher and all is well.

Picked one up to replace my Tab S 8.4 which is getting a bit old and unreliable. Still trying to get feel for it. Speakers are loud as anything but sound a bit odd, might just need to get used to. Very fast and snappy. Don't like how you can't wake the tablet with the front button unless you enable the lock screen and fingerprint unlock (unless I'm missing something). Still not 100% if I will keep it, would likely hate if I did and Samsung unveils an 8 inch tab in a couple of months.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I have the fingerprint authentication activated, so I use the front button. It is fast and easy and I have lots of sensitive info in my contacts so that is the way I need to have it. I do tend to register my dominate fingers more than once just to help with quicker recognition. Not sure if it needed on this device, but it only takes a second and I do it out of habit now.l LOL

Not sure about the odd sound. I have not noticed one. I hate the UI, but I install Nova on all my devices. I would love it Sammy would release an 8 inch tab for the phone sync features or Google for quicker updates and pure android. I was waiting on a Pixel or Nexus device, but got tired of waiting and the Fire tablet I had was fine, but just not what I was looking for. Too many limits and not that fast, it was just ok, great for the price however. But I wanted something more premium in the 8 inch size.

I have the original Tab S and LOVED it. My daughter still uses it.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Not hearing an odd sound, but the sound is maybe a bit hollow or echoey. I am sure I'm just hearing it because its different than what I am used to. I use Nova on everything as well, touchwiz has its own issues.

I loved my Nexus 7s, loved my Sammy 8.4. Its the perfect size. I prefer the 16:10ish ratio (which the Huawei has) but at this point I'd be willing to give the 4:3 a chance, might end up liking it.

Might just bite the bullet and keep the M3, but I love Samsung's products. It seems silly that the Galaxy 8 is being released in 5.8 and 6.2 but they can't do 8 and 10 inch tablets.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
If Apple updates the iPad Mini, I think Samsung will respond. I don't think they'll let Apple go unchallenged in any niche. Still, we could be looking at a 6-9 month wait...

This could be possible. Obviously Samsung would hate to lose any sort of market share to their biggest rival.

I think Apple will update their 7.9" iPad but might be on its way out. The 9.7" and 12.9" are definitely more popular.

Personally, I've tried the iPad Mini and the screen just felt way to small to be a tablet for me. The 9.7" inch version felt much better 😃

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I could get on onboard with a nice 12 inch Tas S. I would stick with my Huawei mediapad 8.0, since I already have it and it runs great, and a 12 inch Samsung Tablet with keyboard to replace my Surface I really don't have a need for a laptop or full mobile PC. Tablets do just fine for me. I wanted an 8 inch Tab S3 version mostly for the phone mirroring capabilities and would consider it if the price was right, maybe $320s or less. It would have to have an at least an 810ish processor and be speedy.

I would invest in a nice desktop PC of I wanted to game or do anything powerful, also I have a work laptop I can use for those functions.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I went to Best Buy and bought the S3. It's a really nice tablet. The screen is awesome, there's significantly increased S Pen functionality, and it's a gorgeous looking device. But even though it's thin and light, it's noticeably bigger (~1" length and width) and heavier (~25%) than an 8" tablet (I own a Note 8 and Tab A 8, neither are as svelte as the 8" S2). I can easily palm an 8" tablet, while it's a stretch to do so with the S3. Ditto with regard to arm fatigue due to the difference in weight. As much as I wanted to like it, I decided to return it. It's just too big for my purposes...

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I could get on onboard with a nice 12 inch Tas S. I would stick with my Huawei mediapad 8.0, since I already have it and it runs great, and a 12 inch Samsung Tablet with keyboard to replace my Surface I really don't have a need for a laptop or full mobile PC. Tablets do just fine for me. I wanted an 8 inch Tab S3 version mostly for the phone mirroring capabilities and would consider it if the price was right, maybe $320s or less. It would have to have an at least an 810ish processor and be speedy.

I would invest in a nice desktop PC of I wanted to game or do anything powerful, also I have a work laptop I can use for those functions.

Does Hulu work on the mediapad?

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does.... It is a straight-up Android tablet running Android 6.0

15720913b1bb6235ac89b1f5da58f4f7.jpg