Tab s3, ipad or chromebook?

Geekfest84

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a new device at the end of the month. Not bothered about a new phone as such, the Z5 compact I'm using now is ideal for my phone usage. But I need a bigger device when at home, lounging on the sofa Netflix binging for example. Want the device to last a few years if poss. Stylus/pen support and keyboard case would be very handy. Will Mainly be used for Netflix, gaming and browsing. Games include bg2, the GTA series, RPG'S, open world games, that kinda thing. Not interested in racing or FPS games.

I've narrowed my choices down to the tab s3, the iPad pro 9.7, and the Asus chromebook flip c302.

Ipad has the power, but I'm not really invested in the ios eco system. I will have to spend a fortune in apps, keyboard case, pen etc etc. Probably has the most well rounded OS tho.

The tab s3 comes with the pen, has a Reasonable amount of poke and I am well invested in the android eco system. Have hundreds of apps. But Android isn't really designed for the big screen? Plus is android on a tablet ever going to take off now chromebooks are going to have it..?

Wild card: Asus chromebook flip c302. Same price as tab s3. Doesn't have a stylus as standard, but is touch screen so could buy a cheap one to use with it. Comes with keyboard. Should be able to run android apps and games in the near future? Not sure how powerful the m3 6y30 is compared to the a9x and SD 820? Again, android isn't really designed for bigger screens but chrome OS is, so that's not so bad. And Google is actively updating Chrome OS to run android apps, so seems more future proof than an android tablet. Please note I'm listing the Asus here as I don't think Samsung will be releasing their chromebook pro here in the UK.

What do you think? Given the choice, what would any of you go for? Is there anything I've not considered? I'm not interested in a surface pro 4 or other windows devices. My spending budget is £600 ideally, stretch to the cost of the iPad pro if it's worth it (£640 for 128GB wifi).

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

Ian

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't care for the iPad and have not closely looked at chromebooks.
I gave my tab S2 to my girlfriend after purchasing the tab S3.

Many people have said Android apps aren't ready for tablets, but I don't fully understand that. I have a BT keyboard case, and I have the same apps from my phone on my tablet and I have no issues with any of them. E-trade, MS office apps, twitter, flipboard, music apps, google apps, turbotax, etc. You name it, it works fine for me.

People also say tablets can't replace laptops, and as far as screensize, sure, but I have used my tablet for work with no issues. I use cisco anyconnect or citrix receiver to login to our network. With anyconnect I can user server auditor for my terminal emulator or MS remote desktop to login to one of our RDP machines to use IM, outlook, putty, and everything else I need. it all works as expected.

So for me, I think it's simply a matter of preference.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
If pen/stylus support is important you won't want the Asus, a cheap stylus cannot compare to the pressure sensitive ones from Saumsung/Apple.

Personally I would get the Tab S3 from your listed choices, I find Android to be much better than iOS even when iOS has more apps designed for tablets. Its just more open to allow me to do things and share files easier, Apple has iOS too locked down and restricted for my taste.

Can I ask why you won't consider a Windows device? I'm not sure about UK pricing/availability but the soon to be released Galaxy Book 10.6 is priced at 629.99 vs the Tab S3 599.99 in the US, it includes the keyboard cover and has better specs. I like the Tab S3 but personally won't buy it unless they lower the price now, spending more for an Android device with keyboard just doesn't make sense to me.

Geekfest84

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Regarding windows, the other half has a surface pro 4 she uses for work I could borrow if I needed, but I don't really need all that functionality. It's been a long time since Samsung sold any laptops over here in the UK, I don't think they are bringing their chromebook and galaxy book models over.

Thanks again

Ian

Geekfest84

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
I agree, I don't understand this argument that Android apps are not optimized for tablets. I have the tab S3 and I love it and almost every app I have on it works great at tablet size.

Do you have any examples of apps that don't really work on the bigger screen? I'm not really going to be doing a lot of productivity, sending emails and gaming mostly. What's your opinion on the sd820 chip? Is it coping OK pushing the pixels on a bigger screen compared to phones?

Thanks again

Ian

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Do you have any examples of apps that don't really work on the bigger screen? I'm not really going to be doing a lot of productivity, sending emails and gaming mostly. What's your opinion on the sd820 chip? Is it coping OK pushing the pixels on a bigger screen compared to phones?

Thanks again

Ian

The only example I've seen from others is either instagram or Snapchat, I can't remember. Whichever one it is, the complaint is that it doesn't do landscape.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any examples of apps that don't really work on the bigger screen?
It's not that Android phone apps won't work on a tablet, it's that they're not optimized to take advantage of the extra screen space. Whereas many developers make separate apps for the iPhone and iPad. As a result, for most apps, the iOS version is better than the Android version of it.

Geekfest84

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
It's not that Android phone apps won't work on a tablet, it's that they're not optimized to take advantage of the extra screen space. Whereas many developers make separate apps for the iPhone and iPad. As a result, for most apps, the iOS version is better than the Android version of it.

I see, no worries. Thanks. I think I'll be OK with that in all fairness. I don't really fancy spending a fair few quid just to buy the ios version of all my apps. What's people's opinions on the sd820 chip powering such a big screen? From what I can tell its got more horsepower than the new ipad 2017, but less than the iPad pro 9.7...? I've also been trying to work out, does the sd820 have a harder time pushing pixels on phone QHD screens, with their 500+ ppi like the s7, or the tab s3, with its less than 300 ppi? My brain is too tired to work out the math :)

Thanks again

Ian

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Screen size doesn't matter, the pixel count is what matters for performance. The GPU renders an image to a screen based on pixels, it doesn't matter or effect performance if those pixels are bigger or smaller in physical size.

The 820 will perform better on the Tab S3 than it does in the S7 and other QHD screens.

stsullivan

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat can't decide I had the new 12.9 pro it was great but Android didn't run well on it I am into Google and can't decide between tab s3 and the Samsung book I have never used a Windows tablet before how well
does it run Google

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae