Sprint 2.3.4 is available now

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I dont know the rules here but the file is over at xda. Many people are having problems installing it but I am not one of them. It helps to have a completely unrooted and stock eb28 on the tab.

No root available yet at the time of this post.

lhoyle

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Got it an installed - very smooth. Immediately the Market updated Google Maps as well. I'm still awaiting Netflix, though.....

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The only problem I see so far is you can't charge from USB. You can only use the ac or car charger that was specifically designed to work with the tab.

mich1248

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
whats the big changes in gingerbread...i read theres a newer bluetooth but other than that i cant tell much difference...

rick9814911

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I just got the update from xda. If you follow the instructions and go back to stock everything works great. The biggest change is the browser, its so much faster!!!! I don't know what they did but the browser is so much better now. There isn't official Netflix but if you Google "Netflix apk for android" there's an unofficial Netflix app you can download. Its working great for me! Its basically the official app with the "device check" disabled so it will work. Over all this wasn't a huge update but well worth it I'm very pleased with the browser :)

herbthehammer

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If there is a difference in performance, I'm not seeing it. I'm having doubts that this is real. Bluetooth works better. I've tried a apple wireless keyboard (temperamental) and a Logitech with a touch pad. The both work. Ever seen a mouse arrow in android? Use something with a trackpad and you'll see it. Another story is using the menu, home, back, search keys. Nothing is mapped for it. I've got a Wii controller with the classic add on but haven't dug it out yet. I'm lazy at the moment. I imagine you'll have to download the Bluetooth app for the Wii controller.

I just tried and no work. Devices with touchwiz won't work with the wii ime apps.

Last edited:

pistos

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I can also confirm that the Netflix app is now working on the Galaxy Tab after the Gingerbread update. :)

wildnorth

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
@360jeff

I am in the same boat as you. No Sprint contract = no upgrade. You have to go to the xda forums and get the file. Copy it to your sdcard, and run it. Worked perfectly for me. :)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

CaryTheLabelGuy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody noticed a weird lag when scrolling through the home-screens with the official OTA 2.3.4? My tab is very jittery now, after the update. Almost to the point of not being usable. I was never rooted, totally stock before.

Thanks.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
@360jeff

I am in the same boat as you. No Sprint contract = no upgrade. You have to go to the xda forums and get the file. Copy it to your sdcard, and run it. Worked perfectly for me. :)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Not true - I'm on WiFi only and got the Sprint official update pushed to me.

prezmater

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have a sprint tab that I bought brand new without ever having a contract and I got the update pushed to my phone. I don't think its even coming from sprint as I run my tab in airplane mode with wifi enabled and I got the update.

On another note I took the OTA update from rooted Froyo with no problems, then flashed rooted GB with Odin when I got home from work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Anybody noticed a weird lag when scrolling through the home-screens with the official OTA 2.3.4? My tab is very jittery now, after the update. Almost to the point of not being usable. I was never rooted, totally stock before.

Thanks.

Stock here on my wife's tab and and she gots the same lag, She ask to go back before the update :-(

CaryTheLabelGuy

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Stock here on my wife's tab and and she gots the same lag, She ask to go back before the update :-(

Weird. I re-formatted the Tab last night and still have the same issues. I'm gonna call Sprint tonight and let them know the new update has issues. I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this issue. It's a huge oversight in my book.

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Weird. I re-formatted the Tab last night and still have the same issues. I'm gonna call Sprint tonight and let them know the new update has issues. I'm surprised there aren't more people complaining about this issue. It's a huge oversight in my book.

Me too, I thought I would find many tick off topics on this issue but you are the only one I seen. I used to love to play on her tab but since the update I just stay put on my epic.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Me too, I thought I would find many tick off topics on this issue but you are the only one I seen. I used to love to play on her tab but since the update I just stay put on my epic.

It's probably a YMMV thing because of some bugs in the update that cause incompatibilites with apps/custom configurations installed on specific users' tabs. Also, I noticed my quadrant benchmark scores went up (significantly) after the update [see results below for various SGT models], which is strange since the hardware did not change (I can see a change due to graphics driver changes associated with the GB update - but not this much). This indicates that performance actually improved on my Sprint tab after the update. Could be a bug in Quadrant - who knows. While its hard to qualitatively say that my actual post-update performance improved, I can say that I am not experiencing any noticeable degraded performance (lagginess, choppiness, or charging issues) that others have reported.

Quadrant Benchmark Score Comparison (Avg after several runs)

WiFi Only SGT: ~700 (expected with weaker Proc and GPU than 3G models)

TMO SGT: ~930

Sprint SGT (after EF17 GB Update): ~1300

(I believe my Sprint SGT pre-GB update scores were around the same as the TMO's)

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I also thought it was a app conflict but the other guy said he wipe his tab and still has the same issue

However, the poster didn't say whether he reinstalled his apps after the reset so who knows? (Maybe he'll clarify)

All I can say is that I am not seeing a perf problem after the update so its def YMMV.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante