which no-contract carrier to go for?

flamand

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like Verizon and T-Mobile won't require a contract. Does that mean I can pick one up and never even have to activate it?

Would it make more sense to get the GSM version at T-Mobile hoping that someday it can be hacked to work on international GSM?

Wifi only is fine for me since I can tether it to my Pre when needed. I'm willing to pay a bit extra over the eventual Wifi version just to be able to get one now.

Thanks for any advice, folks.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you get the GSM version it's a lot easier to just stick a pre-paid SIM card in there if you ever need cellular service.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So it looks like Verizon and T-Mobile won't require a contract. Does that mean I can pick one up and never even have to activate it?

Would it make more sense to get the GSM version at T-Mobile hoping that someday it can be hacked to work on international GSM?

Wifi only is fine for me since I can tether it to my Pre when needed. I'm willing to pay a bit extra over the eventual Wifi version just to be able to get one now.

Depends on how they offer it. I'm stuff unclear on how Verizon's going to position it. There will be no contract, but I don't think it will count as "pre-paid" either. Basically a contract plan where the contract term is monthly.

I don't think you'll Have to sign up for service, just like you can walk into a store now, buy a droid x at retail and leave with it. Some retailers MAY require service activation to get the device initially until they gauge demand however. Retailers don't make a lot (yet) on month to month contracts, but they make more than they do just selling a device and letting it walk, and if supply is limited and demand is high, they'll have to make some choices.

I'd assume it will be the same with Tmobile, though it looks like they want more money for their version (which doesn't make sense because it's GSM and not HSPA+)

A GSM version would allow a prepaid sim assuming you can unlock it easily. If you're looking at the carrier's plans.. Verizon's seem to offer the best bang for their buck unless Tmobile treats this as a smartphone instead of an aircard like they seem to be.

piddonkadonk

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
It's being released tomorrow (Thursday, Nov 11) on Verizon. I called my local store and they confirmed that today, the 10th, they were shipped 10 units. They're not sure if they'll get more tomorrow.

Is it just me or has this whole campaign on both Verizon and Samsung's side of things been SUPER underwhelming? You can't even find stuff about either online easily through the company's websites. You just think they'd be pushing hard at roll out. What's the catch?

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or has this whole campaign on both Verizon and Samsung's side of things been SUPER underwhelming? You can't even find stuff about either online easily through the company's websites. You just think they'd be pushing hard at roll out. What's the catch?

Same with T-Mobile. Sprint seem to be the only one actively advertising it.

theiphonewannabe

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has the iPad and soon to have the iPhone. That might be the reason for Verizon not pushing it too hard. That and the Samsung event wasn't followed by many outside of tech sites.

Jahntassa

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon doesn't really 'have' the iPad, they're just packaging it along with a MiFi. Kind of a kludge if you ask me. Still, I think they're mainly pushing the Tab in 3G markets. The display for it was pretty prominent in a local store.

I can't comment on TV simply due to the fact that I don't watch commercials!

I'd say get the T-mo version simply for the fact that it takes a SIM, and works on more potential networks than the VZW version.

The T-Mo, Sprint, and VZW versions are all $599 off contract, as far as I know, with AT&T asking $650.

Anev

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the Verizon version. Bought it at Best Buy moments after they arrived (so they say). They sold it to me straight out since I was just going to do the month to month and I left to go play.

Well..... YOU HAVE to activate the tab with Verizon. And since I didn't do that at Best Buy, I spent several hours with Verizon adding a new line to my plan and finally activating the Tab.

I suppose I could cancel it and the thing will stay active. Being forced to activate it and the $20+ dollars to get the basic plan wasn't what I expected. The Tab wouldn't let me do anything until it was activated via Verizon.

I don't mind the $20 a month, buying a brick for $600 and not knowing this was irritating but it's a nice backup to know I'll have internet when I can't find WiFi. I own a 3G iPad (which is now been sold - pile of junk it was) but the 3G feature that was a VERY nice thing, I used it maybe once a month but when on road trips, streaming Pandora on the highway was a treat.

flamand

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
That's a bummer you had to activate with Verizon. I wound up getting mine from T-Mobile and there was none of that. I just turned it on and that was it. Very strangely, they didn't charge me sales tax either on the device here in California.

Anev

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, it was only annoying as I wanted the 3G myself. It was more a problem with Best Buy not knowing what to do when they sell one. It does make the price of a Verizon 3G closer to $700 though, add in taxes and the cheapest 3G plan $20. Sure you can cancel the $20 but you still need to pay it to activate the Tab.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a similar boat. I'd jump all over the $499 wifi only version, but they say it was delayed right?

So, sure can do the $399 on contract version but I totally do not need a separate data plan. Meh.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I def want the $499 wi-fi version, would buy it today!

I just don't want another monthly data charge.

Any suggestions? I currently have verizon, droid x.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I def want the $499 wi-fi version, would buy it today!

I just don't want another monthly data charge.

Any suggestions? I currently have verizon, droid x.

Android Central just posted the Best Buy ad for Black Friday (more at bfads.net btw). So, $549.... which is $49 more than the supposed wifi-only version. Easier to swallow. But still a lot of money!

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
But you'll still need to get a data plan to get it going ive heard. I just want it strictly for wi-fi.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SailingMan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

VZW doesn't have a WIFI only. You have to activate. Best Buy may have a WIFI only.

VZW persuaded me that using my DINC as a Mobile Hot Spot, would kill the battery and interrupt phone calls, etc. Therefore, I decided to go with their 3G service and then use WIFI as much as possible. You can modify the data quantity anytime you wish.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie