PDANet Bluetooth DUN from Android Phone to Tab?

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if its possible on the Galaxy Tab to pick up a PDANet connection via Bluetooth DUN on your existing Android Smartphone? I'm strongly considering the Galaxy Tab for its form factor and easier readability (perfect 'Bible' for church as well as Kindle replacement and casual web, email, calendar browser). However I can't really justify the $20 a month data charge on Verizon. I always have my unrooted Droid X with me and I'm wondering if I run PDANet in Bluetooth DUN mode if the Tab can grab that connect and use it to access the net.

Has anyone tried this yet? Seems like it would be a good solution for those of us with existing smartphones that don't want to pay the additional data charges and also don't want to root our phones. Just wondering if anyone with the tab has tried this yet. I'd greatly appreciate it if you could try it for us and report back! Thanks!

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I asked them, PdaNet will not work on the Tab. Remember, for PdaNet to work you have to have it on the phone and the PC. The Tab is not a PC and thus does not have a client.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I thought you didn't need the pdanet client on pc if running it in bluetooth mode. Am I off on that? Thanks for your reply!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully someone will make an app to support this. The iPhone/iTouch has iBluever, so there is demand in smartphone land.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I also vote for this.

And to clarify for anyone unsure as to what's on what:

1. You phone would have PDANet and set to "Bluetooth DUN" (this is essentially a hotspot from bluetooth instead of from wifi)

2. The Galaxy Tab would be able to see that bluetooth hotspot and use it for internet (most laptops do this via a dial-up-network connection, hence the DUN acronym)

Sambo41

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Download PDAnet Tablet on your Android phone and tablet. Pair your phone and tablet by bluetooth. Run PDAnet Tablet in server mode on your phone then run it as client on your tablet. It works great but you'll only be able to use your internet connection for the browser, google maps, and email apps.

I used it for about 8 hours one day and it worked great.

Note: don't try to establish a bluetooth connection between the phone and tablet just pair them then use PDAnet Tablet to make the connection.

Reactions: Akt1968

bigbenr

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just got my wifi only tab to connect to my X2. The trick was to go into wireless settings, wifi, advanced wifi settings, and put in the proxy number 127.0.0.1 and the port number 1234. Don't ask me why you need to change the wifi settings since it is off. Don't forget to clear those settings when you are done so your tab will work with wifi.