iPad or Tab

jackitoday

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I met some horrific goals at work for which my boss promised me an iPad. So I went to Best Buy and looked at them, and then looked at the Tab.

I think the size of the Tab might be a better match for me -- that iPad is awfully big and heavy. But I'm an Android girl, and for that matter a Sprint girl - and it would be what I know.

My credit/account won't allow me another phone line with Sprint tho -- so I couldn't get 3g for the Tab, I'd just be using it with my wifi. I have mifi from Sprint and I have a rooted EVO so I have wifi tether.

But with iPad I'd have the wifi, and should I ever need it, I can get the prepaid data connection with ATT.

The Best Buy sales person said that he felt the TAB has a point in its favor as I could edit Word docs with TAB and couldn't with iPad. Is that true? Not that I think that's a big use for me.

I think the TAB is a better match for me, but wonder if I'm going to always 'want' that big pretty iPad.

Any advice on how to make this decision?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
iPad does have a apple iwork, it should be able to handle word doc.

In fact, it probably handle word better than the thinkfree office on the tab. I dont think there is a satisfied office solution on the tab now.

I think size is important, ipad is just too big, if I have to use both hand, I just bring my dm1z laptop.

Tab also has two cameras, has firefox, skyfire, opera, google navi. These are all pluses to me.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
A solution for office is buying Doc's to Go it is amazing on the Tab. No problems with editing any file or syncing with my computer.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I went to Verizon today and played with one for like a half hour (the one in Best Buy yesterday wasn't network connected so I didn't really get the whole experience) and about 10 feet away was the iPad display. I picked the Tab up and held it for the whole 20 minutes or so I was checking it out. The guy at the iPad display left the iPad on the stand the whole time.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I had both...Tab is better for me.

I agree, I have to use two hands to use the Ipad...and I might as well just be using a netbook/laptop at that point. The tab is the perfect size. I say this over and over, but get a different browser when you get the Tab...stock one sucks. Get Dolphin HD and dont look back.

But yea in all honesty, the Tab is better all around for me than the Ipad.

ConceptVBS

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Another vote for the Tab.

At&t will be launching the Galaxy Tab on their network (supposedly) tomorrow (Nov 21) . It will have the same data plan month to month option as on the iPad.
You might want to check that out if you dont mind At&t (since you've already stated that your willing to use the 3G service on the iPad had you chose that).

Samsung gives you options where Apple does not.

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Having used both, I prefer my iPad over the Tab. A lot of people have been saying that 7 inches is the "sweet spot" for a tablet, but I think it's a bit small for me. I suppose if I hadn't been using my iPad for 6 months now, I may have a different opinion on the size. I have a Galaxy S phone (Fascinate) so I'm almost feeling a "been there, done that" attitude when using the Tab

Bigchris

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If Apple made a 7-inch iPad all of the Tab cynics would be calling it brilliant.

Give them a couple of years and they will. Just like what they did with the Netbook Air, I mean MacBook Air...

In all seriousness, its nice to have variety, the iPad is going to be useful for some, and the Galaxy for others. Their both sweet devices.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Give them a couple of years and they will. Just like what they did with the Netbook Air, I mean MacBook Air...

I've been wondering why nobody is talking about that. The commercial even touts their netbook as the culmination of all they have learned. I'm considering getting a netbook for my wife for Christmas (maybe even the Air) and was in Fry's yesterday. There were so many people crowding the netbook aisle that I just gave up and went to look at TVs.

One more thing, for those who say the Tab is just a larger Galaxy S; the same thing was said of the iPad/iPod Touch and, as it turns out, it's not. Just the fact that I'll be able to put all of the widgets that I'd like to have (but don't fit) on the main screen of my EVO is a big plus. The email and calendar apps take excellent advantage of the screen size, and reading Kindle books (even with the phone version of the app), documents from work, and surfing the web are a whole different experience from my EVO.

And, since the Tab is so portable, I can go back to carrying a smaller phone.

There is plenty of room in the market for both sizes.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
One more thing, for those who say the Tab is just a larger Galaxy S; the same thing was said of the iPad/iPod Touch and, as it turns out, it's not.

I'd fully agree, with the clarification that when the iPad was released it REALLY was a larger Touch simply because it was the "first" major Tablet; no one knew exactly how or in what way a product like a Tablet would fit into their life.

If it can, mostly, replace my need for a Laptop then BOOM, it's found its place.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Docs 2 go is awesome on ipad. That was a rediculous statement from that guy. I prefet the big screen. Netflix is amazing. Flash would be nice but i cant think of one time that it has been a problem.
Either will be cool.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

copr165

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Tab v Ipad

I bought the Ipad from VZW on Friday took it back on Sunday. It was wifi version only and went on line on a strong wifi connection that all my other devices work on and it would not run the Ipad tour on Apple's website without freezing at each section. Apple has a restocking charge of $70 dollars and after just having the device for 3 days and it not performing as it should I still had to pay the $70 dollars. This is not VZW's rule but Apple's. Apple also only gives you 14 days to try it out instead of 30 days like all other devices. I got the Tab and it is the perfect size and works great plus I have the network connection without having to carry an extra device like the mifi which also cost extra. Ipad was too big to carry around all the time and didn't work for what I wanted. The Tab also syncs to all my Android phone apps and I find Android Market easier than the Apple store. I definitely recommend the Samsung Tab if you are in the market.

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I have both the iPad and the VZW tab, and I don't think there is a clear cut answer for all people. My opinion is that they are both better depending on how you plan to use them. The iPad is a much better laptop replacement, the larger screen, higher resolution, and great battery life are all huge pluses in it's favor.

However, for an "in-between" device (between laptop and cell phone), the Tab is a better choice. It is much lighter and more portable, so if you want to use on the go, or in places where you won't have a table, lap, etc. to balance the device the Tab is much more usable. I find that I use the iPad more as a couch surfing/playing device, but that overall use the Tab because it is so much more comfortable use in more situations.

If you are planning on using your purchase primarily on the couch or at a desk, get the iPad, but if you want to use on the go, and in places like bed, etc, I'd recommend the Tab. 7" is the definitely the largest on-the-go device I can comfortably manage.

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah isn't the point of these devices convenience? The iPad is closer to a laptop on the convenience ladder, I wouldn't want to walk around with it nonstop. The Tab fits in my jacket pocket easy or is even just light enough/small enough to palm around, THAT's convenient. And yet it's still big enough and fast enough for comfortable surfing without me wishing I was at a desktop.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd have to go ipad. Even Google says android isn't ready for tabs yet.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

Im sick of that argument...what does that even mean.... they were probably just covering their asses incase samsung effed up the Tab...

Froyo works fine with the tab...just the same way iOS didnt really work differently than an Iphone on my Ipad.

What google probably meant was that unlike the iPad which had tablet specific apps that took advantage of the screen...like dual window things (mail app etc), Android doesn't have taht yet.

BUT with Spare parts, scaling of the aps have been mostly fine. Its the same with the Ipad and scaling Iphone apps...which I had to do (facebook anyone?).

I rooted and adjusted the LCD density...which made things so much better and crisper...

After those two things, I dont see how the OS isnt "made for the tab" any less than iOS is for the Ipad...im telling you it was about the aps, which will come (some are already out).

9th Ward

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Im sick of that argument...what does that even mean.... they were probably just covering their asses incase samsung effed up the Tab...

Froyo works fine with the tab...just the same way iOS didnt really work differently than an Iphone on my Ipad.

What google probably meant was that unlike the iPad which had tablet specific apps that took advantage of the screen...like dual window things (mail app etc), Android doesn't have taht yet.

BUT with Spare parts, scaling of the aps have been mostly fine. Its the same with the Ipad and scaling Iphone apps...which I had to do (facebook anyone?).

I rooted and adjusted the LCD density...which made things so much better and crisper...

After those two things, I dont see how the OS isnt "made for the tab" any less than iOS is for the Ipad...im telling you it was about the aps, which will come (some are already out).
For the record... The tab does have dual windows in the mail app.