Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Full NYT site on Verizon Tab, not on Sprint

I am testing two Tabs side by side, a Verizon model and a Sprint Tab. I've run across some unexpected differences between the two. The stock web browser on the Verizon Tab will display the full site of the NYT and other sites, but the Sprint model always reverts to the mobile version of the sites.

I like the Dolphin Browser HD on Android devices, so that doesn't bother me too much. Unfortunately, even with settings the same on the two Tabs, the Sprint model overrides the user agent in Dolphin and always gives the mobile version of sites too. The Verizon Tab works properly in Dolphin and uses the full sites. This means that browsing the full NYT site is impossible on the Sprint Tab.

Is this what other Sprint Tab users are seeing?

if you goto Browser News

scroll down, is there any difference in your UA?

PS. T-mobile tab goes to mobile nyt as well.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,383 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    I am testing two Tabs side by side, a Verizon model and a Sprint Tab. I've run across some unexpected differences between the two. The stock web browser on the Verizon Tab will display the full site of the NYT and other sites, but the Sprint model always reverts to the mobile version of the sites.
    Hey, James. Great to see you here. And that's confirmed. Stock browser goes straight to the mobile site. Interesting.

Well, I don't know about whether it saved the setting or not, but when I was in the Verizon store yesterday and went to both Gizmodo and Engadget it pulled up the mobile versions. I had to click on the full site link to get it to switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Hey, James. Great to see you here. And that's confirmed. Stock browser goes straight to the mobile site. Interesting.
    I can understand the stock browser being "locked" by Sprint, but the fact that JK is also seeing the same in the Dolphin HD browser is concerning - and a show stopper for me.
    Treo 650> Moto Q> Moto Q9c> BB Storm> HTC Touch Pro> iPhone 3G> Palm Pre> iPhone 3GS> Droid> Incredible> EVO 4G
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The UA is the same on the two Tabs, and changes to reflect the UA setting in Dolphin as I change it. The NYT is somehow and for some reason handling the two devices differently. It's a real mystery.

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Could you try this?

For the stock browser and Dolphin HD go to this address: http://www.nytimes.com/section/#. This is an error page. On the second line of the page, choose a section from the drop-down list.

I had started a thread about this but didn't realize it might be carrier-specific.

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

I can confirm that I get the full NYT site on the VZW version of the tab. This is true whether I user WiFi or the VZW network, so we can rule out any kind of proxy, I guess. However, most sites pull the mobile site by default, not the full site. Thankfully, most now have a link for the full site embedded.

I posted this on another site, but I'll post it here as well. The same problem occurs on T-Mo ...

---

If you check the headers being sent by the browser (either Dolphin HD or the default web browser, even if set to "desktop" mode), you'll find an HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE being sent. I'm not sure if this is being sent by the mobile device itself, or something that T-Mobile is attaching as it goes through their gateway (my guess is the later). Sites will frequently use this string as a secondary check to see if you're visiting from a mobile device.

----

This is likely what's happening on the Sprint network too. You can check the headers being sent and it's likely to include the one I mention.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The issue is NOT that mobile sites come up by default. The issue is that the NYT full site will not even display on the Sprint Tab using Dolphin Browser, but it will on the Verizon model. That makes the full NYT site impossible to use in either the stock browser or Dolphin Browser in the Sprint model, and that's just bizarre.

It must be some sort of network funny business going on.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Did you try clearing the browsers history and cache before installing dolphin and going to NYT? The first time I installed dolphin it didn't work on my Verizon tab until I cleared everything in the stock browser.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    Did you try clearing the browsers history and cache before installing dolphin and going to NYT? The first time I installed dolphin it didn't work on my Verizon tab until I cleared everything in the stock browser.
    I've tried everything. I don't see how the Tab can override Dolphin's UA. It just doesn't make sense.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

That doesn't make any sense and I hope they release an update to fix this even the other carriers with the stock browser. Glad I went to Verizon because I almost went to Sprint.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

This is an interesting issue. I'm also curious how Dolphin HD's user agent option is getting overridden.

Just as an additional data point:
    I installed Opera Mobile (not Opera Mini) onto my Sprint Tab and navigated to www . nytimes . com (spaces removed) with Opera's "Mobile View" setting turned OFF. Opera Mobile is displaying the full NY Times (desktop) site.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I noticed that too. It's too bad that Opera Mobile displays the site all yucky (my opinion).

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    I noticed that too. It's too bad that Opera Mobile displays the site all yucky (my opinion).
    Really? I didn't notice Opera Mobile displaying the full site differently than other browsers I've used on my EVO. Interesting.

Back on topic... I think jasonaward may be onto something with his comment about wap headers being sent regardless of user agent selected.

Okay... doing some additional testing, I found that the HTTP_X_WAP_PROFILE header string is being sent by the device. I tested this by sending the request over by Wifi and over the T-Mobile network. Regardless, the header was sent over both networks. To see for yourself, point your browser to:

xhaus.com: HTTP header check

You'll see that this header is sent in both the default browser and in Dolphin HD. *However* Opera does not send the string which explains why it renders in full site mode.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

I love my tablet for that reason I re