Die hard android fan.....probably going to get an iPad

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
As I've said before, what works all depends on how you plan to use it. iPad is a home toy (and a very good one), Tab is a travel toy.

I bought a Tab yesterday before leaving on a trip from CA to TX. Downloaded all of my purchased EVO apps to it free of charge and they all run fine. Carried it in the back pocket of my jeans (it fits EASILY) or in my jacket pocket. No stupid foldy case inside a laptop bag to lug around, just bare in my pocket. It was terrific on my cab ride to the airport, during my wait in the airport, and on the plane; I was able to surf the net (the plane had WIFI), read some Kindle books, listen to music and manage my Exchange email (which you CAN'T do in Airplane Mode on an iPad, BTW). No need to have Popeye arms to hold it the whole way, or some foldy stand attached so I can put it on the tray table.

You can easily two-hand thumb type in portrait, do the one-hand single-finger peck, or one-hand with Swype. Love Swype. No extra keyboard to carry or hunching over trying to type on it while it's laying flat. Or stupid foldy stand.

Brought it into our office in TX today, and after less than five minutes with it my boss, who travels a bunch and has been diggin' on his iPad since he got it (free from the firm), is now giving the iPad to his daughter and getting a Tab. He said it's too big and clunky for travel, doesn't replace his laptop like he thought it would, and he's tired of having to pay to buy or install apps so he can get to content from websites that run Flash.

And my all-things-Apple co-worker, who's been craving an iPad of late, is now having second thoughts after seeing the Tab.

I think it's a big mistake if they don't make a smaller version of the iPad. Despite what Steve thinks, choice is good.

Oh, and I've been generally messing with it for most of the day, listening to music on it for half of the day, it's been off the juice for 13 1/2 hours now, and the battery is at 60%. Probably not iPad endurance, but pretty cool. EVO would've been dead a loooooong time ago.

Last edited:

malhotra365

May 22, 2010
Visit site
As I've said before, what works all depends on how you plan to use it. iPad is a home toy (and a very good one), Tab is a travel toy.

I bought a Tab yesterday before leaving on a trip from CA to TX. Downloaded all of my purchased EVO apps to it free of charge and they all run fine. Carried it in the back pocket of my jeans (it fits EASILY) or in my jacket pocket. No stupid foldy case inside a laptop bag to lug around, just bare in my pocket. It was terrific on my cab ride to the airport, during my wait in the airport, and on the plane; I was able to surf the net (the plane had WIFI), read some Kindle books, listen to music and manage my Exchange email (which you CAN'T do in Airplane Mode on an iPad, BTW). No need to have Popeye arms to hold it the whole way, or some foldy stand attached so I can put it on the tray table.

You can easily two-hand thumb type in portrait, do the one-hand single-finger peck, or one-hand with Swype. Love Swype. No extra keyboard to carry or hunching over trying to type on it while it's laying flat. Or stupid foldy stand.

Brought it into our office in TX today, and after less than five minutes with it my boss, who travels a bunch and has been diggin' on his iPad since he got it (free from the firm), is now giving the iPad to his daughter and getting a Tab. He said it's too big and clunky for travel, doesn't replace his laptop like he thought it would, and he's tired of having to pay to buy or install apps so he can get to content from websites that run Flash.

And my all-things-Apple co-worker, who's been craving an iPad of late, is now having second thoughts after seeing the Tab.

I think it's a big mistake if they don't make a smaller version of the iPad. Despite what Steve thinks, choice is good.

Oh, and I've been generally messing with it for most of the day, listening to music on it for half of the day, it's been off the juice for 13 1/2 hours now, and the battery is at 60%. Probably not iPad endurance, but pretty cool. EVO would've been dead a loooooong time ago.

I agree, the TAB is great at all of those things, but since I already have an EVO the only real benefit for me was the battery life. It's interesting that your coworker feels the ipad doesn't replace his laptop for travel. I guess that all depends on the user. While it only accomplishes about 85% of what I use my laptop for, the trade-off of 15% of utility for me is easily worth it for the trade-off of a 70% weight reduction from my 4.5 pound (still light) macbook pro.

So overall the "extra work" of carrying a 1.5 pound device really isn't that bad in my opinion, and nor does it require popeye arms. If someone really feels that 1.5 pounds is too heavy to carry in a laptop bag I wonder how the travel with their luggage.

Lastly, as I mentioned in my previous post, I use it for watching TV and surfing the web. I don't have any work reason to get into any company websites or anything like that. I don't have to travel much for my job. So for surfing the web, reading books and watching tv, the 10-inch screen of an ipad is perfect. Not the 7inch TAB screen.

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Imo the galaxy tab is so bloated and slow the iPad is so nice and fluid. If I were to buy a tablet it would be the iPad.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I think the tab is an absolutely lovely piece of hardware, however any move I was going to make one buying a tablet is now frozen in place until 1) Honeycomb and the MotoPad are revealed in greater detail and 2) the iPad 2 is revealed. There's just too much change on the close horizon for me to throw my lot in with either the tab or the iPad at this point. That being said, if the tab gets Honeycomb- it may be the clincher.

malhotra365

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the tab is an absolutely lovely piece of hardware, however any move I was going to make one buying a tablet is now frozen in place until 1) Honeycomb and the MotoPad are revealed in greater detail and 2) the iPad 2 is revealed. There's just too much change on the close horizon for me to throw my lot in with either the tab or the iPad at this point. That being said, if the tab gets Honeycomb- it may be the clincher.

Yeah I was a little worried about the new ipad coming out in spring potentially. But I have had amazing luck selling my apple products after about a year and upgrading. I'm currently on my third mac laptop. They are so expensive initially that the demand for a slightly used one is so high that I usually get about 60-75% of the initial purchase price back. Which I then apply to a more current one. So this is my plan for the iPad2.

That being said, the potential specs of the new ipad aren't anything I could care about other than the increased screen resolution. So I'll decide when it comes out.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the TAB is great at all of those things, but since I already have an EVO the only real benefit for me was the battery life. It's interesting that your coworker feels the ipad doesn't replace his laptop for travel. I guess that all depends on the user. While it only accomplishes about 85% of what I use my laptop for, the trade-off of 15% of utility for me is easily worth it for the trade-off of a 70% weight reduction from my 4.5 pound (still light) macbook pro.

So overall the "extra work" of carrying a 1.5 pound device really isn't that bad in my opinion, and nor does it require popeye arms. If someone really feels that 1.5 pounds is too heavy to carry in a laptop bag I wonder how the travel with their luggage.

Lastly, as I mentioned in my previous post, I use it for watching TV and surfing the web. I don't have any work reason to get into any company websites or anything like that. I don't have to travel much for my job. So for surfing the web, reading books and watching tv, the 10-inch screen of an ipad is perfect. Not the 7inch TAB screen.

I own an EVO too, and it's not just battery life. For ME anyway.

The mail program, for example, is a whole different animal. Forgetting for a moment the two-panel interface, it's got a unified inbox which is a big difference; all of that hunting and pecking around to get to which of my 4 accounts just received email is a total PITA on the EVO.

As is trying to send an email to someone through Exchange; on the Tab you just start typing and it automatically searches the company database as you're typing, click on one and you're done addressing. Simple. On the EVO it's a bunch of clicking just to get to the option to search the company, then you have to type in a name and hit search. It's night and day. Add to that thumb-typing on the bigger keyboard or Swype, and I can actually compose a lengthy email without pulling out my netbook (which I left at home this trip). Plus there's a bunch of other little stuff.

Then there's the calendar application; not even in the same ballpark. There's just way too much that's different and better to even list here.

And for people to say that there's not a huge difference between the two in screen real estate is just insane. Typing, surfing the web, reading a book or anything else, it's all way easier on the Tab. And yet the thing still fits in my pocket. I pick up my EVO and it feels small now.

Like I said, it's all about use. I don't know what you do on your laptop, but there's not a chance in hell that an iPad (or a Tab) is going to replace even 50% of what I use mine for. The Tab is a device that I will use to keep myself connected and entertained during travel.

And I believe I made it clear that I'm not talking about the weight of carrying the device.

If watching movies on the couch is how you use it and that size works best for you, good on ya. I'm not trying to tell anybody to buy anything, I'm just attempting to dispel what I believe are a few myths I keep seeing and sharing why, in some cases, a 7" tablet could be more useful. I didn't think I'd ever have a use for a tablet, but at this size I do.

Enjoy your iPad.

Last edited:

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why Doc Raj really wants to replace a Galaxy Tab purchase with an iPad. Except his preference for Hulu. Maybe the screen orientation (with a 7 inch screen) won't be to his liking. Still, I've played around with a Galaxy tab and I don't really think anyone NEEDS to get an iPad unless they absolutely must have some app that will never come out on Android but exists on the iOS app store.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I also hate paying for apps with no return ability for iOS...

I got an Ipad and just didnt download anything since I didnt want to pay $20 for something I might not ever use again.

malhotra365

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why Doc Raj really wants to replace a Galaxy Tab purchase with an iPad. Except his preference for Hulu. Maybe the screen orientation (with a 7 inch screen) won't be to his liking. Still, I've played around with a Galaxy tab and I don't really think anyone NEEDS to get an iPad unless they absolutely must have some app that will never come out on Android but exists on the iOS app store.

The main reason for me were two-fold, it offers over double the screen area than the TAB for web surfing/tv/video, and the sheer amount of apps available.

DaEXfactoR

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I understand your concerns. The Tab is limited right now as far as video content goes. I have a Tab and I totally prefer the form factor over the iPad. When Android (or maybe that's on the carriers or manufacturers, idk) is able to get content providers on board, I think it will be a very compelling debate..Tab vs iPad. The Tab is loaded with features as is, and when these wrinkles concerning content are able to be ironed out, the Tab will be that much better. If you can't wait for a maybe, someday...and need a sure thing for video consumption, you can't go wrong getting an iPad. Keep in mind a new model of the iPad is surely on the horizon, so you may want to wait anyway. Also, the iPad is waiting to get a lot of stuff the Tab already has, the first time out the gate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2