Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Default Handbrake and movies

Has anyone played around with Handbrake and put any movies on your Tab yet and what settings have you used ?

I have, but only needed it when dealing with Blu Ray rips and movies with file sizes bigger than the 4 GB android file system requirements. Other than that its played all avi, mp4, mkv, and xvids that I keep on my HTPC without modification. The only downside is I have'nt gotten subtitles to work properly yet. It doesn't recognized SRTs and when using handdrake you can't burn i SRTs when encoding.

If anyone knows a good method to do SRT burn in let me know
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

great website. thanks for the info putting it to good use as i type this.

Quote Originally Posted by xvflutop View Post
    I have, but only needed it when dealing with Blu Ray rips and movies with file sizes bigger than the 4 GB android file system requirements. Other than that its played all avi, mp4, mkv, and xvids that I keep on my HTPC without modification. The only downside is I have'nt gotten subtitles to work properly yet. It doesn't recognized SRTs and when using handdrake you can't burn i SRTs when encoding.

If anyone knows a good method to do SRT burn in let me know
    Install RipBot and you can re-encode your mkv files to 1.5-2GB. RipBot gives you the option to hard code subs as well.

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Nice link! Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Handbrake just update their software. the new version adds more functionality.

Handbrake works well for me.
    Sometimes the video has suffered from jaggedness particularly during suddenly motion.
    Setting Video Filter 'Decomb' to 'Default' instead of 'Off' fixed this for me.
    HD2 LEO and Galaxy Tablet
    Android: MCCM Desire HD v 3.0.2
    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/72939...llery?h=d6c566
    New Year Resolution: 1024x600 Galaxy Tablet

I got the subs to work by having the srt file in the same directory and identical file name. It can't be in the mkv container but rather as a separate file. And it has to be exactly the same -- punctuation and everything.
    Last edited by Cobravision; 01-18-2011 at 06:23 PM.

I have tested out ways of getting DVD’s to Tab.

After lots of messing I have tried the following, which seem to produce a reasonable result.

Used DvdFab 8 (free) to get the DVD onto my hard drive.
    Now came the bit that took a lot of messing around to get the correct settings.

Open HandBrake (free) load your DVD files on the hard drive and set-up as follows:
    Picture Tab – width 720, height 576, cropping custom, make sure all crops are set to zero.
    Video Filters Tab – left it as it was, all set to zero.
    Video Tab – Codec MPEG-4 (tried H.264 but couldn’t see difference, took 4 times as long to encode with same file size at end), Frame rate same as source, Ave Bit Rate tried 500 to 2000 (see comparison below, all seemed to look reasonable on the Tab).
    Audio Tab – Left as automatic.
    If you save any of the above as a preset remember to tick the “save crop values”.

Test results based on Chapter 6 of Angels and Demons, a 1 minute 28 second clip.
    The Video bitrates gave the following file sizes:-
    2000 = 16.0Mb (0.1818Mb per second of movie)
    1000 = 11.5Mb (0.1307Mb per second of movie)
    500 = 6.55Mb (0.07443Mb per second of movie)

Details of full movie
    Run time of 2hrs 12mins and 50secs. (say 133mins)
    The Video_TS file on my hard drive was 5.94GB
    The decoding with HandBrake took 1hr 5mins (old computer running XP 1GB of RAM)
    The .mp4 file size after using the above settings at 500 video bitrate was 598Mb.

From my test on the 1min 29sec clip (and confirmed by full movie conversion) if I converted at the following bit rates I would have got a file size of:-
    500bit movie is 0.07443x60secsx133mins = 594Mb
    1000bit movie is 0.1307x60secsx133mins = 1043Mb
    2000bit movie is 0.1818x60secsx133mins = 1451Mb

The 500bit rate seems fine on the Tab and at about 0.5GB seems a space saver. If you think you need a better quality you can see from the above how big the file will be.

The above worked for me and may be a starting point for you. Hope you find this of use.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default Won't read DVD

I downloaded Handbrake but it will not read the DVD when I select the DVD as the source. I will give a try to using DVDFab 8 to get the files onto the hard drive.

Thanks,

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah some of the DVDs will not work w/ handbrake. I have only run into a few but it happens every now and then.

DVD's are probably protected.
    Used DvdFab 8 (free) to get the DVD onto your hard drive, then use Handbrake.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I have a Mac so I use Mac the ripper. It does the same thing as DVD fab.

I want to put a movie DVD on my Verizon Galaxy Tab after converting it to mp4. I don't know which input files to use.

When I look at the files on the DVD, I see a folder VIDEO_TS. In that folder are VOB, BUP, and IFO files. Do I use all of the VOB files only? Including VIDEO_TS.VOB?

After the conversion, do I download the folder that now contains the resulting VIDEO_TS.mp4 to the tab? Do I name the folder with the name of the movie.

Thanks from a super newbie, cb

Yes, abredt

Simply select the Video-TS folder as your source and that will be fine.
    To test just select 1 minute for eg from the duration option and record.
    Make sure you check the outpt folder to see where the video is recorded to.
    Playback your test and you should be fine.
    On some material I used Decomb set to Default rather than Off in the Video Filter settings to get rid of pixelation on edges where rapid movement eg drumsticks etc.

Hope this helps.
    HD2 LEO and Galaxy Tablet
    Android: MCCM Desire HD v 3.0.2
    http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/72939...llery?h=d6c566
    New Year Resolution: 1024x600 Galaxy Tablet

Hi Niteowl360,

I am using PavTube because after I installed Handbrake Internet Explorer went nuts.

It doesn't let me choose the VIDEO_TS folder as the input. When I try to do that, it opens the folder. So I'm back to the question:

In that folder are VOB, BUP, and IFO files. Do I use all of the VOB files only? Including VIDEO_TS.VOB?

Thanks, cb

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yes you will select the vob file, hit open and then start the conversion.

Question. On your memory card for the Galaxy Tab, what folder are the movies to be put into?
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,640 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Quote Originally Posted by rm2092 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'm gonna try it when I get home. It's time for "the office" on my Gtab

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD

Quote Originally Posted by owlmark View Post
    I have tested out ways of getting DVDs to Tab.

After lots of messing I have tried the following, which seem to produce a reasonable result.

Used DvdFab 8 (free) to get the DVD onto my hard drive.
    Now came the bit that took a lot of messing around to get the correct settings.

Open HandBrake (free) load your DVD files on the hard drive and set-up as follows:
    Picture Tab width 720, height 576, cropping custom, make sure all crops are set to zero.
    Video Filters Tab left it as it was, all set to zero.
    Video Tab Codec MPEG-4 (tried H.264 but couldnt see difference, took 4 times as long to encode with same file size at end), Frame rate same as source, Ave Bit Rate tried 500 to 2000 (see comparison below, all seemed to look reasonable on the Tab).
    Audio Tab Left as automatic.
    If you save any of the above as a preset remember to tick the save crop values.

Test results based on Chapter 6 of Angels and Demons, a 1 minute 28 second clip.
    The Video bitrates gave the following file sizes:-
    2000 = 16.0Mb (0.1818Mb per second of movie)
    1000 = 11.5Mb (0.1307Mb per second of movie)
    500 = 6.55Mb (0.07443Mb per second of movie)

Details of full movie
    Run time of 2hrs 12mins and 50secs. (say 133mins)
    The Video_TS file on my hard drive was 5.94GB
    The decoding with HandBrake took 1hr 5mins (old computer running XP 1GB of RAM)
    The .mp4 file size after using the above settings at 500 video bitrate was 598Mb.

From my test on the 1min 29sec clip (and confirmed by full movie conversion) if I converted at the following bit rates I would have got a file size of:-
    500bit movie is 0.07443x60secsx133mins = 594Mb
    1000bit movie is 0.1307x60secsx133mins = 1043Mb
    2000bit movie is 0.1818x60secsx133mins = 1451Mb

The 500bit rate seems fine on the Tab and at about 0.5GB seems a space saver. If you think you need a better quality you can see from the above how big the file will be.

The above worked for me and may be a starting point for you. Hope you find this of use.
    Thanks for posting this, it was helpful.

I found a pretty good free DVD ripper that got the job done. It's worth a try:

DVDSmith Movie Backup: DVD Decrypter to copy DVD movie to computer hard drive, and remove all the CSS, RC, RCE, APS, UOPs and Sony ARccOS protections

why i can't load my dvds to handbrake?

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess34 View Post
    Question. On your memory card for the Galaxy Tab, what folder are the movies to be put into?
    I like to keep my downloads in my own folders, so I made new folders:
    Carol Downloaded Movies
    " " Video Clips, etc

cb

Default Re: Handbrake and movies

just google search Convert and Transfer MOV, MPEG, FLV, MVI, MKV, 3GP and WTV to Various Samsung Galaxy Phones
    you will find a step by step guide on how to Convert Video to Samsung Galaxy S2/S/Infuse 4G/Tab/Epic 4G