Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default A few questions about the Galaxy Tab

I just saw some youtube videos about it and this device looks amazing. I'm thinking of replacing my old netbook with this device for note-taking in University. A few questions before I actually decide to buy this for Christmas...
    1. How long can the battery last?
    2. Can I use this device to edit Microsoft PowerPoint? And can I also use for other Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, etc)
    3. Is this device too small for doing tons of reading?
    4. Is there going to be a wi-fi only for lower price?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by raptorstv View Post
    I just saw some youtube videos about it and this device looks amazing. I'm thinking of replacing my old netbook with this device for note-taking in University. A few questions before I actually decide to buy this for Christmas...
    1. How long can the battery last?
    2. Can I use this device to edit Microsoft PowerPoint? And can I also use for other Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, etc)
    3. Is this device too small for doing tons of reading?
    4. Is there going to be a wi-fi only for lower price?

thx
    1. If you use it heavily you can make it one full day.

2. Yes, if you purchase documents to go. Don't expect it to create your project.

3. No, it's the same size as other e-readers on the market - Nook/Kindle

4. May need verification but all Android tablets without cellular access don't have market access. Most likely the reason we don't have a WiFi only device.

Quote Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
    1. If you use it heavily you can make it one full day.

2. Yes, if you purchase documents to go. Don't expect it to create your project.

3. No, it's the same size as other e-readers on the market - Nook/Kindle

4. May need verification but all Android tablets without cellular access don't have market access. Most likely the reason we don't have a WiFi only device.
    Ditto to all of the above. Since I got it I hardly use my laptop anymore. I did read my first book thru and ereader on it and it took a little getting used to but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Global Posts
    463 Global Posts

Are you sure about this statement? I have not activated my device with carrier and only using WiFi (same on Sprint version I previously had before exchanging for AT&T) and have had full access to market.

Also, to the original post about size, as was mentioned the physical form factor of the device is the same size the kindle, but since the Tab doesn't have a physical keyboard it does have a larger screen to read on than a kindle.

Sent from my Samsung Tab on AT&T using Tapatalk Pro

Market access is granted by Google only. The precedent has been set that only data plans would have access to the market, but that doesn't mean a wi-fi only version wont have access to the market- its totally up to google to make that call. My personal thought is that the wi-fi version WILL have market access but we'll see. Samsung is a pretty big player now in the android space and I really can't see google locking them out on market access even if it is wi-fi only. Samsung really doesnt get enough kudos- they take the risk that no one else was willing to take in bringing a substantial tablet to market. I really hope they can keep a strong presence going for tablets. They've really earned my respect with what they've done with the Galaxy S line. Pretty staggering to think that in a short amount of time they penetrated the high end android market on all major carriers AND brought the first substantial Android tablet to market. Im on a rant...

Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    Are you sure about this statement? I have not activated my device with carrier and only using WiFi (same on Sprint version I previously had before exchanging for AT&T) and have had full access to market.

Sent from my Samsung Tab on AT&T using Tapatalk Pro
    Well what I meant was there are no 'WiFi only' Google devices with market access. Yours has a cellular radio so it would come with it regardless if you were to activate it on a network.

Well what I meant was there are no 'WiFi only' Google devices with market access. Yours has a cellular radio so it would come with it regardless if you were to activate it on a network.
    This is how I understand things to be. Because your device has a cellular radio, you have the market.

There are some Wifi tablets with the market, but it's an unofficial thing and usually 'hacked' to work by the manufacturer.
    Probably posted from my Samsung Galaxy Tab