1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Epic 4g on Sprint, but my tab is on Tmo

Hello everyone. I have a rooted Sprint Epic 4g. I tried to get a line added for a new Galaxy Tab, but was told because I was only a customer for a few months, there was no way they could do it for me. So I ended up going to Tmobile to buy my Tab. I don't have any problem with the Tmobile service so far, the 3g seems pretty snappy where I live and the price for 5 gigs of data is actually cheaper than Sprint with the hotspot being free. My problem came when I tried to use my wireless tether app for the Epic and my Tab did'nt see the network at all. I have tethered before from my Epic to my laptop so I know that it works. Is it because the Epic is cdma? I did'nt think that would matter as it should just show up as a wifi network. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. It's not a deal breaker for me that I can't tether because, my Tmobile service is working fine so far. But it would be nice to be able to tether if I needed to. Thanks again for any help.

Does your 'tether app' require any software to be installed on the computer your tethering? If so, that may be it.

But, no, the CDMA part of the Epic has nothing to do with the Wifi. I have no idea what would cause that, if it's a limitation of the Tab's WiFi or something with your Epic / Tether app.
    Probably posted from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

Phone>Laptop can use Ad-Hoc or Infrastructure Mode connection, but Phone>OtherMobileDevice can only use a connection with Infrastructure Mode. On most custom ROMs for the Epic, Wireless Tether operates with an Ad-Hoc connection only. You have a couple of options.

1) If you want to stay on the stock ROM, install the to be able to tether other mobile devices.

2) If you want to be on a custom ROM, the only one I know of that allows Wireless Tether to operate in Infrastructure mode is - I have successfully tethered my iPod Touch with this, which is similar to your Tab.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks that must be it. I'm new to this whole rooting thing, so I only did the one button root because I wanted to get rid of the sprint bloatware. I'm still on the stock rom, just minus sprint NASCAR and navigation. Thanks for your help. I have some reading to do to fins out about custom roms.

Search xda for the wpa file...you need to root and replace a bim file but it works after that...had to do it to my tab to reconize my d1 wifi hotspot

Quote Originally Posted by EpicRavensFan View Post
    Thanks that must be it. I'm new to this whole rooting thing, so I only did the one button root because I wanted to get rid of the sprint bloatware. I'm still on the stock rom, just minus sprint NASCAR and navigation. Thanks for your help. I have some reading to do to fins out about custom roms.
    If you don't have a custom ROM you can use the to tether your Tab - no need to install a custom ROM.