Which would you do get plan or go Mifi

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I have a Mifi unit and cannot decide whether to sell it and get a data plan for a new Galaxy Tab or get the Tab without the plan and use my MIFI. I want to sell my new 32 Gig iPad and buy the Galaxy Tab. My wife will be getting a Playbook which will run off of her phone via Bluetooth or wifi so I dont want to leave her without a connection. But she can use the Bluetooth. Decisions, decisions.

Jahntassa

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I got the tab specifically so I wouldn't have to carry around extra devices. The real question is, is there a difference in cost between your MiFi and the Tab Data plan.

Also, choose your carrier carefully, each carrier has a different version of the tab, with different capabilities. As far as I can tell, the T-Mo tab is the most 'capable', (no crippled bluetooth, front and rear cameras, though it is missing the Divx VOD capability), but obviously the choice is up to you!

Skatedawg

ROM Abuser
Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Now if you did this, could you use the wifi with your gmail and still use the Gmail on your phone? So kind of like dual gmail use even if your just using wifi on the tab and then gmail over the network on your phone?

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
The cost would be the same if I went data plan on the Tab vs Tab on MIFI but I am like you I dont like carrying another device. The real question is will my wife ever be stuck while using her upcoming Playbook with no service since she has AT&T and it is not the best in my area when she pairs with her Torch.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I have the VZ MIFI and want to know if I bought a Tab from T-Mobile or Sprint will I be forced to buy a plan or could I just get it without a plan and hook it up with my VZ MIFI?

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I got the TMO Tab and will now ditch my VZW MiFi since I can use the Tab as a local hotspot from the Tab same as the MiFi, the battery is better and if I am not in a go TMO service area I can use my dINC as a hotspot.

Oh and with TMO data you get free use of all TMO hotspots.

The cost would be the same if I went data plan on the Tab vs Tab on MIFI but I am like you I dont like carrying another device. The real question is will my wife ever be stuck while using her upcoming Playbook with no service since she has AT&T and it is not the best in my area when she pairs with her Torch.

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have an EVO, and just got a Tab a couple weeks ago. I got rid of my MiFi, because I can turn on the hotspot on my EVO when I want, and shut it off when I want. I also use WiFi at home and work for my Tab, so I rarely use the cellular connection.

jackitoday

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Right now I have the mifi (about a year left on the contract), the evo with hotspot and the Tab, so I'm in wifi heaven I guess. Plus the Tab is rooted and I have barnacle on that.

I lent the mifi to a friend this weekend, and I'm finding the hotspot not nearly as 'strong' as the mifi was. On mifi I can/am on every day almost 24/7 without any issues -- my signal never seems to fail.

On hotspot, it is up and down all the time. And I can't seem to get more than two devices connected even tho I believe it is supposed to connect with up to 8 devices, right? I'm trying to 'power' two computers, one printer and my TAB with the hotspot -- that should be do-able I think. It is so slow that I divided the computers -- one to the hotspot and one to barnacle on tab.

I don't understand the science of wifi and hotspots enough to even know what to ask about this --- I guess I'll start with -- how can this be?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So can you get the tablet and not have a data plan and just use wifi or no? Not to sound stupid but what is Mifi? I've heard of it before and am guessing it's some type of mobile wifi I don't know. I would love to just buy the galaxy tab and use wifi. But it's only 7 inches right no 10 inch version? My EVO is 4.3 so I really want a 10 inch screen.

I went ahead and returned the Mifi and got the Tab. What a nice machine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes