1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Configuration of WiFi-Only Tablet

If you compare the various, Galaxy Tabs currently available (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint & TMobile) it becomes obvious that there are fairly significant differences between the way they are configured. There are differences in memory, accessibility to Bluetooth keyboards and mice, DivX compatibility, etc. Has there been any info available as to how the WiFi-only Tab is going to be configured, when available? I'm waiting for one of these but I'm concerned that it will end up configured in some manner that I won't like and I would have been better to have gotten one of the currently-available models (probably the TMobile version) and not waited so long....I want one bad....

Ken

Great question. I too am waiting for the WiFi only version....I had the Verizon version but took it back because I couldn't justify the price when I don't want a 3g service plan.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I don't think there has been any leaked information about the Wifi only version of the tab as of yet. Were all going to have to wait and see.
    Press ALT-F4 to see nudes

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

I'm waiting for this too. I have a Droid X don't need a Tab with 3G and pay the extra on my cell phone bill either..

Of course a 4G Tab might be interesting but still probably only want a Wifi only one
    HTC Rezound, IPad2, and Galaxy Tab 10.1

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Depending on how long I have to wait for it I might crack and get a...........................

IPAD!! eek!!!

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

So reading up on the wifi only version of the Galaxy Tab and came across this that Samsung is already working on a Honeycomb tablet so the wifi only version looks bleak.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

@Rinnr1 I completely agree with you. Doesn't seem as if we will see a wifi only version of the Galaxy Tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Upright View Post
    Great question. I too am waiting for the WiFi only version....I had the Verizon version but took it back because I couldn't justify the price when I don't want a 3g service plan.
    You can cancel the 3g plan after the first month and use it wifi-only if you buy the Verizon Tab from Best Buy right now. And then renew/cancel the plan whenever you want (though you may get a different phone number assigned to your Tab every time you do).

Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    You can cancel the 3g plan after the first month and use it wifi-only if you buy the Verizon Tab from Best Buy right now. And then renew/cancel the plan whenever you want (though you may get a different phone number assigned to your Tab every time you do).

Yeah,...I'm on the fence about this right now. The $499 dollar price point is just up my alley. I would purchase this in a heartbeat If I was sure it was going to get the Honeycomb OS update....I think it's a safe bet to wait until after CES to make my decision.

So which will come first, wi-fi only or the next gen tab?
    I'm tempted to hold out for the 10" version, but I also don't want to pay for a cell service I'm not going to use, since I have my own (free) wi-fi at home..
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Well, I'm the OP.....just wanted to give an update. I broke down and got a T-Mobile Tab. They had a good sale going this past weekend. Actually, now that I have a Tab with 3G, I'm actually glad I got it configured this way. Always having to turn on the wireless tether on my Droid X when I'm not around wifi would get annoying. Unfortunately, here in the central part of NC, T-Mobile's 3G sucks, compared to Verizon. However, it always seems to have Edge available when the 3G coverage is lacking.

My advice....if you see a good deal on a Tab....especially a T-Mobile, get it....you won't regret it.

Ken
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar4Him View Post
    Well, I'm the OP.....just wanted to give an update. I broke down and got a T-Mobile Tab. They had a good sale going this past weekend. Actually, now that I have a Tab with 3G, I'm actually glad I got it configured this way. Always having to turn on the wireless tether on my Droid X when I'm not around wifi would get annoying. Unfortunately, here in the central part of NC, T-Mobile's 3G sucks, compared to Verizon. However, it always seems to have Edge available when the 3G coverage is lacking.

My advice....if you see a good deal on a Tab....especially a T-Mobile, get it....you won't regret it.

Ken
    So what was the good deal?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
    So what was the good deal?
    $349.00 with a 2-year 3G plan

I think Radio Shack still has that same deal going -- with Sprint Tab -- I'm a Sprint girl

I was able to use my phone upgrade with Sprint to get it for $399, and declined the service plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar4Him View Post

Ken
    Just sent you a message,...check your inbox.

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

I'm going to hold out.. If they are going to do a Galaxy Tab 2 then that will probably have Honeycomp which is rumored to have a lot more TAB oriented software in it to make the experience better..

Hopefully CES gives us a January release date for the Motorola Tab or the next gen Galaxy Tab..

I read about the Honeycomb update.
    Galaxy S4
    XOOM
    Tab 2
    rootless

Very cool, I just wish that there was a wifi only rom at least so that I could stop wasting battery life on the 3g radio.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You can buy one from ebay like I did. The person who had it for a few months had the sprint tab so I got it w/out having to activate it. Plus some of the tabs can have the activation bypassed or just root it and freeze the sprint activitation file.

Just announced:
    Treo 650> Moto Q> Moto Q9c> BB Storm> HTC Touch Pro> iPhone 3G> Palm Pre> iPhone 3GS> Droid> Incredible> EVO 4G

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

• Rear-facing 3-megapixel camera
    • Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera and camcorder
    • Flash 10.1 support
    • 16GB of internal storage with microSD expansion for up to 32 GB of additional storage
    • Weight: 13 ounces; Depth: 12 millimeters thin
    • 7-inch TFT display with 1,024 x 600 WSVGA resolution
    • All Share DLNA support
    • 4,000 mAh Battery