On the fence

ms960

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Long-time Droid owner (now on a Droid X) and really like the thought of the Galaxy Tab. The price ($600) though, is a bit too steep.

I was in Best Buy today and they had it priced at $499 if I signed up for a month-to-month service plan (no contract, can terminate it any time). That sounded too good to be true -- I asked about 5 times if there was any catch. They assured me not.

At $499, does that make this a better deal? I'm torn between this and the iPad (NOT a iOS fan!), but like the form factor.

The $499 price makes it easier to digest, but wondering what the collective wisdom here feels about that price?

Thanks!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Long-time Droid owner (now on a Droid X) and really like the thought of the Galaxy Tab. The price ($600) though, is a bit too steep.

I was in Best Buy today and they had it priced at $499 if I signed up for a month-to-month service plan (no contract, can terminate it any time). That sounded too good to be true -- I asked about 5 times if there was any catch. They assured me not.

At $499, does that make this a better deal? I'm torn between this and the iPad (NOT a iOS fan!), but like the form factor.

The $499 price makes it easier to digest, but wondering what the collective wisdom here feels about that price?

Thanks!

I would really wait on both of those, Ipad is about to be replaced and Galaxy tab as much as i love samsung just is nothing more than a huge phone. i would wait until the motorola tablet comes out at the very least. it may be the same price as these tabs and you will kick yourself for not waiting a month or two

ms960

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I would really wait on both of those, Ipad is about to be replaced and Galaxy tab as much as i love samsung just is nothing more than a huge phone. i would wait until the motorola tablet comes out at the very least. it may be the same price as these tabs and you will kick yourself for not waiting a month or two
I think I've convinced myself to wait on the Galaxy Tab, at a minimum. From what I've read about rumors for the new iPad, nothing being talked about excites me a lot, but it may also be worth waiting on that as well.

Thanks.

RC46

Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You can play the waiting game forever. I bought a Tab and and I'm enjoying it right now. When the Moto version finally comes out I will probably grab one of those too. I would not be surprised if the Moto version is not released before July.

I would not even consider a iPad. Not a IOS fan and really would not want to re-buy all my favorite apps.

cjmedina

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
just get it. I was on the fence when it first came out. I had evo and was against it at first, but once I got it I have not looked back at all. I carry it in my slacks and am always using it

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad I got one when it was released I take it everywhere and use it all the time. Sure the upcoming tabs will have better hardware but we will get the same software. Remember that there will always be something new coming out.
I plan on keeping mine until they make one which is worth the upgrade which won't (I'm guessing) happen until the second half of next year.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Being that you are on an android form, most likely most will say the "Tab". I also own an android device (EVO). After playing with both iPad and the "Tab", it really didnt make sense for me to have two android devices. I wanted a different user experience and bigger screen so I choose an iPad. I was an Apple hater until I actually tried one and it changed my mind on Apple products.

When using the "Tab" I was always longing for more room in apps, games, browsing, and media. I was in the crowd "that the iPad was too big." But I almost guarantee that since you have a droid x that you will be in the same boat on want a bigger screen than 7". Maybe if I had a 3.5 inch or smaller screen, possibly would I want the tab.

I will say this, if the iPad wasnt currently out right now, I would have a "Tab."

prubin

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have an Evo and a Tab. I now use the Tab for almost everything I used the Evo for except phone. I also use the Tab for a lot of stuff I did on the laptop. I can read stuff without hunching over my desk. I find the screen big enough and the portability of the Pad is wonderful. I can put it in a jacket pocket. I looked at the iPad but I thought it too big. The Tab is really great.

Reactions: jackitoday

ms960

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Which Best Buy had it for $499? What city/state are you in?
I'm in northern Virginia. The Best Buy I went to had it at $599 with no service, and on the printed Best Buy tag that they put next to every phone or device was a price for $499 if you sign up for a month-to-month service plan.

If I'm back there this week I'll snap a picture and post it. Not making this up!

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm in northern Virginia. The Best Buy I went to had it at $599 with no service, and on the printed Best Buy tag that they put next to every phone or device was a price for $499 if you sign up for a month-to-month service plan.

If I'm back there this week I'll snap a picture and post it. Not making this up!

It's not that I dont believe you, just wondering which location in-case others wanted to go to their Best Buy and attempt a price match (Out of state price match? lol...)

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not that I dont believe you, just wondering which location in-case others wanted to go to their Best Buy and attempt a price match (Out of state price match? lol...)

I actually saw the same thing in Cleveland...$499.99 with a month to month contract...I was like uhh can't I jus cancel it? I thought it was mispriced too, but maybe thats the new standard now...

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah you can just do one month then stop probably, but they usually make you pay for once month at least as an "activation fee" or something.

GMoney749

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have an Evo and a Tab. I now use the Tab for almost everything I used the Evo for except phone. I also use the Tab for a lot of stuff I did on the laptop. I can read stuff without hunching over my desk. I find the screen big enough and the portability of the Pad is wonderful. I can put it in a jacket pocket. I looked at the iPad but I thought it too big. The Tab is really great.

Same here. In fact, now that the Tab is with me most times, I'm probably going to get rid of the EVO and get a smaller device.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I played with the galaxy tab from tmobile a few hours ago and I have just sold my galaxy s captivate and when I got that bad boy in my hands i was in electronics heaven lol its so perfect in size its got the cameras I want on my cellphone but can't afford both so I really like the speed and how sharp it looks if I didn't have sprint and had tmobile I would deff get one from over seas get a unlock code and slap a tmobile sim card in it and actually use as a phone thats really what it is lol hands down I would grab the galaxy s tab :)

Sent From PrittyBoy203 Using LS670

jamal2323

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site

I think its all Best Buys that sells it at that price. I bought my verizon tab on the 14th of last month so I decided today to go to my Best Buy here in Michigan and see if it was $499 now. Sure enough it was and I told the BB mobile employee that I wanted my 100 buck back since I paid $600 for mines with the month to month plan. She went over to the customer service desk with my receipt and came back with my 100 bucks :D

Last edited:

prchoudh

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I was on the fence as well

I went into Verizon and checked out the device at least a dozen times. Then I went onto the message boards and still was convinced that maybe I should wait. Then I got one for an early Christmas present. I am also using a DROID X.

The first day I got it, I was thinking that it lost its luster. Then the second day, I used it I was glad that I got it. I got my wife the IPAD and I love the portability of my unit. I also like the fact that I can do 99% of my everday tasks on the tablet instead of the laptop. I love the fact that my battery life is excellent on this device. I also love the speed of this unit over my laptop.

Now the question comes to mind, do I need all my Uverse channels?

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Being that you are on an android form, most likely most will say the "Tab". I also own an android device (EVO). After playing with both iPad and the "Tab", it really didnt make sense for me to have two android devices. I wanted a different user experience and bigger screen so I choose an iPad. I was an Apple hater until I actually tried one and it changed my mind on Apple products.

When using the "Tab" I was always longing for more room in apps, games, browsing, and media. I was in the crowd "that the iPad was too big." But I almost guarantee that since you have a droid x that you will be in the same boat on want a bigger screen than 7". Maybe if I had a 3.5 inch or smaller screen, possibly would I want the tab.

I will say this, if the iPad wasnt currently out right now, I would have a "Tab."

I really agree with what you are saying. There is not much else the Tab does that my EVO does not, just a bigger screen - well, and no phone calls! I have decided to wait on the next iPad which will also allow me to see what new Android tablets hit in the next 3-4 months.