WiFi only version?

DaneHR2

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy will be out first, but will be second to honeycomb. Unless in the extremely unlikely case they load up the galaxy tab with it, in it's wifi only release. Personally, I am going with the tab over the xoom.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it. The tab 2 will be unveiled at MWC in just a few weeks. Why buy the tab 1 then? I got mine 1 month ago figuring the tab 2 woulb be out later summer. I'm cool with that but getting it 3 months before its replaced seems weird. I would expect a huge price drop I guess

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

DaneHR2

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Well put it this way, the tab 2 and others are most certainly going to be tide to a carrier. For which some of us really don't want new contracts. I will buy the galaxy tab and I won't have to wait another 3+ months to get what I want. Also I can't see getting a galaxy through Sprint for 30 dollars a month for 2 gigs, when I can get a WiFi only tab and tether for 30 a month for unlimited g's. Makes sense to me.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Tab 2 won't likely be out for a few months and almost certainly tied to a carrier like it's predecessor.

If Tab 1 is sub $300 for wifi only then that's a nice deal.

crichton007

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
At this point would you really want one? There is supposed to be a Wi-Fi only Xoom which, knowing Samsung, will likely cost about the same amount as a Xoom but never be upgraded to Android 3.

Besides, I've never seen tech look so old as fast as the Galaxy Tab has, even the yet-to-be-released 1.2 GHz model.

crichton007

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't get it. The tab 2 will be unveiled at MWC in just a few weeks. Why buy the tab 1 then? I got mine 1 month ago figuring the tab 2 woulb be out later summer. I'm cool with that but getting it 3 months before its replaced seems weird. I would expect a huge price drop I guess

I just noticed at Costco that I could get the Verizon flavor Tab 1 for $399. Same restrictions as through Best Buy (no contract but at least one month of data) but at $100 off. Not bad if you want Wi-Fi only but don't want to wait.

Croak

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Tab 2 probably won't ship until near the end of Q2, or even into Q3, especially if it's sportin' an OLED display. Playing the waiting game is a sucker bet, just like buying on launch day is. Now is the ideal time to pick up a Tab.

The WiFi-only Xoom won't even be AVAILABLE in the US for at least 6 months, if ever, because of the contract with Verizon.

And at this point, I'm convinced that for a 7" tablet, one you'll be using a lot more in portrait than landscape, that 2.2/2.3 is the best version for it. Honeycomb seems to be seriously biased towards 10" devices that are mostly used in landscape.

EDIT: I should mention I've been a satisfied Tab owner for the last few months, as well as a hugely unsatisfied Viewsonic G-Tab owner for a few days, and a mildly satisfied "because-it-is-so-damn-cheap-not-worth-the-hassle-to-return-or-sell" Nook Color owner for the last month (though frankly, the NC has been turned off this entire year until today, to check out the latest firmware update).

techiechick

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You can put me in the "because-it-is-so-damn-cheap" group! ;)
The rooted Nook color does everything I need it to do, but for a fraction of the price of a wifi Tab.

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Xoom wifi will probably be out in early Q3, but I wouldn't bet on Tab 2 coming out till mid-summer.

As I said, if the Tab comes in at under $300 for the wifi only version then that's pretty darn good. I doubt you'll get any of these new tablets for less the $500 on wifi only.

waremaster

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed at Costco that I could get the Verizon flavor Tab 1 for $399. Same restrictions as through Best Buy (no contract but at least one month of data) but at $100 off. Not bad if you want Wi-Fi only but don't want to wait.

Thanks for this heads up. I bought mine from costco just last a couple weeks ago for $499.00 I will go back and get the difference. SAVED ME $100.00

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site

Is this a "no contract' price? I talked the wireless salesperson and she said it wasn't on contract but if you go Costco's website: Mobile Phones with Free Shipping and Activation - Mobile Phone Plans from AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
it shows a 2year contract.

gigadigit

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It's a Verizon tab with month to month. You have to pay $35 activation fee but you'll get it back in rebate. I just bought one. They also have a 90 days return policy. Bestbuy is also selling Verizon and Sprint tabs for $399.

Is this a "no contract' price? I talked the wireless salesperson and she said it wasn't on contract but if you go Costco's website: Mobile Phones with Free Shipping and Activation - Mobile Phone Plans from AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
it shows a 2year contract.

Reactions: Nchaka

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Obviously most information on the Wifi only Tab is speculation, but has anyone heard any new info on a release date? Last I had heard was still Q1 2011 which would be sometime in the next 90 days. I am pretty much trying to decide between a Nook Color and a Wifi Galaxy Tab, and the price point of the Tab would be the deciding factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol