This galaxy tab is really starting to suck

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I have had my galaxy tab since xmas, and tell you what, its really starting to suck, always freezing up and having to wait for it to force close some program and this is the second time it will not re-boot, it hangs at the samsung logo...I sure hope samsung gets some updated software out for it soon.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had my galaxy tab since xmas, and tell you what, its really starting to suck, always freezing up and having to wait for it to force close some program and this is the second time it will not re-boot, it hangs at the samsung logo...I sure hope samsung gets some updated software out for it soon.

What carrier are you with?

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Me too, and I have to agree that a stock Tab sucks. I've done some things with mine that have made it much faster and enjoyable:

1. I rooted it with z4. It's a reversible process.
2. I froze all unwanted apps with Titanium Backup Pro... all the Verizon bloatware and trial games. I haven't deleted them yet in case Samsung and Verizon ever decide to update us to Honeycomb; once I feel comfortable they won't, I'll delete them for good.
3. I'm using ADW Launcher Pro to customize the look and app drawer.
4. I installed the One Click Lag Fix.
5. I use SwiftKey keyboard and Dolphin browser.
6. I turned haptic feedback off. It saves battery, and it feels like it makes the device faster since it doesn't have to waste time processing every little tap.

Combined, it all adds up to an infinitely better experience. No lock-ups, and the thing just flies! I feel sorry for my mom, who has a stock Tab and is always having issues like yours. I'm going to root hers too, but like I said, I want to see what Samsung and Verizon are going to do by way of updates. She's just learning Android, and I didn't want to confuse her with rooting :)

Reactions: rohdawgeleven

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
+1

Me too, and I have to agree that a stock Tab sucks. I've done some things with mine that have made it much faster and enjoyable:

2. I froze all unwanted apps with Titanium Backup Pro... all the Verizon bloatware and trial games. I haven't deleted them yet in case Samsung and Verizon ever decide to update us to Honeycomb; once I feel comfortable they won't, I'll delete them for good.
6. I turned haptic feedback off. It saves battery, and it feels like it makes the device faster since it doesn't have to waste time processing every little tap.

Combined, it all adds up to an infinitely better experience. No lock-ups, and the thing just flies! I feel sorry for my mom, who has a stock Tab and is always having issues like yours. I'm going to root hers too, but like I said, I want to see what Samsung and Verizon are going to do by way of updates. She's just learning Android, and I didn't want to confuse her with rooting :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

cjmedina

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
My sprint one is doing great. Really no issues rooted it overclocked it and have no laggyness

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I use launcher pro, will try and give the one click lag program a try and see how it is... right now I am biting at the bit to get the xoom and give this samsung tab to my 3 yr old daughter

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey Pookie,

I think you've convinced me to root my tab. In addition to what you stated above, what else have you done. Anything I need to know before I hit "root" with Z4?

Thanks!

jkurl15

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

These are very good fix's for battery and performance draining issues. Another way to make the tab much better is putting a OC kernel and a custom Rom fromone of the developers over at XDA forum. I have one of the OC kernels and custom roms and it made the tab 10x better, it is faster, you don't have to worry about all the lag issues, plus it gives you more play to w/ the tab. I also have CWM installed where I can flash another rom if I want to.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey Pookie,

I think you've convinced me to root my tab. In addition to what you stated above, what else have you done. Anything I need to know before I hit "root" with Z4?

Thanks!

I'll get more detailed tomorrow; gotta get some sleep. But for now, go ahead and root.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm back. First, I want to point out that I'm not a Galaxy Tab guru; I will not be able to get you out of every jam you get into. As everyone who's looked into rooting should know: it carries risks. Second, everything I've done is on a Verizon Tab.

That being said, the list I made includes everything I think has improved speed and efficiency on my Tab. One other program I forgot to mention is Power Control Plus, which I set up with a widget that gives me better and faster control of some system settings.

As far as apps I froze: anything that starts with "Verizon," Media Hub, Backup Assistant, Blockbuster, Nova, Let's Golf, Accuweather Clock, and the Messaging app (since I use Google Voice for free texting). I'm going to keep exploring what else I can safely freeze, but the ones I've frozen so far were my biggest annoyances.

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm back. First, I want to point out that I'm not a Galaxy Tab guru; I will not be able to get you out of every jam you get into. As everyone who's looked into rooting should know: it carries risks. Second, everything I've done is on a Verizon Tab.
Thanks. Mine is Verizon also and I'm only looking to accomplish what you seem to have done in your earlier post.

I was on xda for most of the day yesterday and it seems that the Vzw version is the most complicated to get anything done on. So, that being said, I just wanted to speed mine up and ditch the lag.

chrismartel0817

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I rooted last night.

Something weird happened. The root didnt work at first. Titanium said to boot to recovery and manually install some file. I booted to recovery and I got a screen with a yellow android saying that the system was downloading a file. It hung there so i had to turn it off. On the second root attempt everything seemed to work fine.

I froze a few verizon apps and installed one click lag fix. As soon I installed one click lag fix and rebooted the system seems a lot more fluid and responsive. I also agree with turning off haptic feedback on everything. It seems to make everything quicker as well.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I rooted last night.

Something weird happened. The root didnt work at first. Titanium said to boot to recovery and manually install some file. I booted to recovery and I got a screen with a yellow android saying that the system was downloading a file. It hung there so i had to turn it off. On the second root attempt everything seemed to work fine.

I froze a few verizon apps and installed one click lag fix. As soon I installed one click lag fix and rebooted the system seems a lot more fluid and responsive. I also agree with turning off haptic feedback on everything. It seems to make everything quicker as well.

Yup, mine did the same. Had to run z4 twice.

Glad you're enjoying the improvements! You guys know the benefit to freezing vs uninstalling, right? If the Tab ever gets an update you like, you can unfreeze, remove the Lag Fix, unroot, and install the sanctioned update. It would probably work if you installed it while rooted, but I prefer to do something like that by the book to avoid nasty surprises.

Last edited:

jackitoday

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Is z4 working again? I had it, updated my software, and it wouldn't work again. I haven't tried it recently, hoping I can re-root my Sprint Tab when I get home.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
hmm, just installed z4, did temp root and installed lag fix, now its not getting past the verizon logo and the haptic feedback goes off every so often...now what

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Is z4 working again? I had it, updated my software, and it wouldn't work again. I haven't tried it recently, hoping I can re-root my Sprint Tab when I get home.

I used version 1.3.0 to root mine. I thought I read somewhere that some versions (older?) of z4 wouldn't work.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
hmm, just installed z4, did temp root and installed lag fix, now its not getting past the verizon logo and the haptic feedback goes off every so often...now what

Hmm. I never tried the temp root method, especially with lag fix; I did a permanent root since that's reversible anyway. If I remember right, when you install the Lag Fix, the device has to reboot, right? Well, when you do that, you lose the temp root you just did with z4, so I can imagine you would definitely have issues.

Edit: temp root with z4 means your device will stay rooted until the next time you reboot. You'll have issues with any app that requires root if you do a temp root and have to reboot. Permanent root will keep you rooted until the next time you run z4 and tell it to unroot you. Both will return you to stock, but only permanent gives you full control as to when you want to do so.

Last edited: