I'm depressed about my Gal-Tab

Cahow

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to update this thread from the time that I began it on March 12, 2011. But first, a special "Thank You" to ALL of you who have continued to post in this thread with well-thought out and insightful posts. I have enjoyed reading every one of them and why you went with the Gal-Tab. Thank you for your time in posting your response.

Now, to my updates: I intentionally bought the Samsung Galaxy for THREE reasons:

1) I was hoping and praying that it would be an incredible Business Tool and make me boat-loads of money. (more on this, later)

2) Because I had zero iProducts, I didn't want to get sucked in the iWorld and buy an iPad, which forced me to buy iBooks and iTunes. I already had a Sony Reader for e-books and a Zune Pass for all my music downloads. Since Steve Jobs refuses to allow me to use a device I pay for, for my own decisions, I logically couldn't buy and iPad. And with the Kindle, Nook and Sony app, I stopped using my Sony e-Reader and now exclusively use my Gal-Tab for reading books.

3) The 7" footprint was the deal breaker for me. I run a landscape company. I am in steel-toed work boots, walking over and through trenches, fallen trees, and gas/electrical lines on a daily basis. I knew that a 7" tablet could very securely fit into one single hand and could be jammed into a standard pocket on a work jacket. Not so much with a 10" tablet from any company.

I intentionally bought my Gal-Tab at 1st launch, in late November (got it December 4th, 2010) so that I could self-train myself on it for 3-4 months until landscape season began. It was pure and hopeful speculation on my part, if this tablet was going to make me money so I could recover the $400 cost of it. (I got a $300 rebate check from Sprint for signing up for their 3G service.)

So, now, the snow has melted (flood waters aside from 2 solid weeks of rain and storms) and I've been able to "test drive" my tablets potential.

In the 1st solid week of use, I made $552.00 because I had my tablet!

The 2nd week, I made an additional $2,200.00 extra income because of my tablet!

The 3rd week, I made an additional $5,248 extra income!

How did I do it? By being so versed in the tablets features that I could instantly utilize them.

I took full advantage of the camera/share/email options. Took photos of items I thought my clients might want, sent them to them via email, upsold the jobs.

Brought my tablet pre-loaded with patio shots we had created and upsold the job.

Took photos of fountains, planters and premium nursery stock, and upsold the job.

And the nice thing was, every.single.place. that I went, from clients to wholesalers to retailers, when I hauled that sweet Galaxy tablet out of my normal-sized purse, I got "Oooo's" and "Ahhhhh's" and "What the heck is that thing!?" from everyone! Clients had to hold it; wholesalers had to see it in action; sales staff was amazed at how efficient it could help you run a job site. Just that boost of confidence from how strangers reacted to my Gal-Tab has convinced me that I made the right decision with buying the Galaxy tablet.

When I first started this thread, it was only theory that I thought it would perform. Now, with a month's worth of hard landscape use, it has paid for itself 10 times over the initial cost! I still don't own a single game (never will) and still see it as a business tool first, a pleasure item second. But, that's okay. I do use it for storing all my recipes and the Pandora app rocks, so that is keeping my Personal Life side happy.

And I no longer give a rat's arse that it has Froyo on it and not the mythical, coveted Honeycomb. It's still brilliantly faster than any of my four laptops and the only time I actually use my laptops any longer is to create long posts (like this) or do generate quotes for clients. The remainder of the time, I use my much beloved Gal-Tab now. Oh, and the 3G has become manditory for my use, so I'm so glad that I bought that model vs. the later Wi-Fi only model. When I've been in the wilds of Michigan, on a raw job site with no Hot Spot for 20 miles, getting 3G to work and send back photos and quotes to a client is PRICELESS!!!!

So, that's my update and how the difference between time and practical application can change your mind. I don't care that Steve Jobs is laughing at me and my "Tweener" tablet of 7". As I'm looking at my bank balance and seeing a + sign vs. a - sign, I know I made the correct choice, for me.

I hope my updates inspire or encourage someone else to buy a Galaxy Tablet.

marcjac

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Miss Minn:

Beautifully and well said! The bottom line to all these tablets is how useful are they to us! If Honeycomb is pretty, but is complicated or lacking apps or experiencing issues, it isn't worth the cost. (I also agree with your assessment of how the iPad would tie you to iTunes etc). You now own a device that does PRECISELY what you had hoped it would do, regardless of whether it has (or ever will have) the "latest and greatest" version of software. I don't own a GTab but have been watching this thread nonetheless to see how things turned out for you. Glad I stuck around, and very glad it has worked out as well as (or perhaps better than) you hoped!

-Marc

Reactions: Cahow

Cahow

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Miss Minn:

Beautifully and well said! The bottom line to all these tablets is how useful are they to us! If Honeycomb is pretty, but is complicated or lacking apps or experiencing issues, it isn't worth the cost. (I also agree with your assessment of how the iPad would tie you to iTunes etc). You now own a device that does PRECISELY what you had hoped it would do, regardless of whether it has (or ever will have) the "latest and greatest" version of software. I don't own a GTab but have been watching this thread nonetheless to see how things turned out for you. Glad I stuck around, and very glad it has worked out as well as (or perhaps better than) you hoped!

-Marc

Gee, Marc,
I'm glad that I was on the computer when this notice came up. Thanks so much for your comments; it makes it all worth while, taking the time to do a proper update.

And you're right...if the current "primitive version" of this Gal-Tab works for me, then it IS the "perfect tablet", isn't it?

I was upset and heartbroken when I read about a google poll of tablet useage, and found out that 84% of all tablet users main use of their tablets is for gaming!!! Really? That's identical to using a car as a planter box!!! ANY person who is self-employed or a blogger or anyone that needs immediate delivery of information should get this tablet. I mentioned the amount of money I made with the tablet with hesitation; my goal was to show that although it's expensive, if used correctly, in a week or so, the tablet pays for itself.

For instance: I met a new client at an upscale nursery to help her select TWO pots, that's it. But, while there, she was asking about an unplanted area of her garden and I helped put together a collection of ELEVEN pots for that area. She loved it but "fear of what would hubby say/think" prevented her from buying them. So, I suggested we take a photo of the pots, send them in an email to her husband and she could call him. In less than 5 minutes, he saw the email, agreed that they would be perfect for their new area, and I got the sale! That would have been impossible without a tablet with a camera, period. In the old days, even 5 years ago, I would have taken digital shots, not been able to email them to the husband until the end of the day, he would have already vetoed the idea, and I would have lost the sale.

For people in real estate, artists, bloggers, web site forum hosts (me) or any other business that relies heavily on visual information or being able to pull up information instantly, this tablet rocks! A good friend of mine who owns a tree company, gave me a call, looking for 50 pound bags of pelletized sulfur for a client. With the Places app, I put in the address of where he was, and located a wholesale nursery only 5 miles from his clients. He got the product, treated the tree, and now he's buying a Gal-tab, too.

I have great goals in life. Some are free but a lot involve money. If I can do some noodling around on a tablet and gain enough extra income to go with my BFF to Paris next year to celebrate her birthday, then this tablet's purchase was the right decision, for me.

I just want folks to "think outside the box" in regards to tablets, so they just don't think that "email, browsing and killing green pigs" is their only use. You're only limited by your imagination. :)

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am glad that the Tab has been so productive for you, and of course makes you more money. All of the devices that are discussed have a place in someone's life, but everyones needs are different.

I think that a lot of us, especially on these forums, get caught up in wanting the newest technology. I myself have been that way for a long time (What? An updated device from my two day old device? Okay, I'll buy that too...).

It's nice when you realize that if what you have works for you, then the "next greatest evolution" isn't always great. If I had an endless source of cash, sure, I would buy the Xoom, and the new Tabs, and the iPad, and everything else. However, I don't. I chose the Tab, and it does what I need it to do, so I am sticking with it until it doesn't meet those needs anymore. At that point, I will switch to the "next greatest evolution."

marcjac

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi again! Resurrecting this dated thread to give an update. Since April, I bought my wife a new iPad2. This past weekend she bought me a Galaxy Tab! I can say without question they are both very good devices but serve different purposes. My tab has the data plan with Verizon, so I'm able to take care of emails or get a detailed weather radar report no matter where I am. I haven't fired up the GPS yet, but I'm sure it'll do a great job of getting me wherever I need to go. I've also added a personal finance program (anMoney if anyone's looking for a good one) to track my expenses/bills/loans/budget. And of course I loaded some pics and music. The iPad2 is VERY COOL and has some outstanding apps. But as was already mentioned above, you've got to be ready to live with the iTunes/Apple environment. Plus the size doesn't make it quite as handy/portable as the Tab. I'd say the Tab is fun but more along the lines of a "working person's tablet", while the iPad is just FUN. The apps seem to make full use of the iPad's graphics, so everything is very attractive and eye-catching. Great to watch videos/TV/web stuff while at home. So there you have it. I LOVE my new Tab because as Miss Minn so correctly observed, it just WORKS for her purposes (and mine). I thought about getting the Flyer, but $199 vs $499? I don't think so in my world LOL.

Celandine

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I never wanted to buy an iPad because of it's limitations; size, no options for external storage, no camera. I could care less if everyone is buying one around me. I did my research online, then browsed my local Best Buy store checking all the tablets out first hand.

I like the GT because of it's size; Not too big and easily fits in one hand. Very good size for traveling or taking to work. I'm able to load the sd card I bought for it with movies when I know I'll be away for awhile and might need distraction and the apps I bought through the android market (games and such) are just as good as any Apple apps in my opinion. I haven't really used much of the features of my GT to any extent (like the camera) but know they work splendidly and highly anticipate using this feature in the future.

What it boils down to is making a decision and being happy with it. Don't be swayed by what anyone else says.

Have fun with your GT!

Oditius-titan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Now this may be silly, but what is an iPad? Is that a bigger version of the iPhone? I swear that the Galaxy Tab is a 7" Version of My Mesmerize. I can now make call on it. (Can't seem to receive them yet, but working on that) I mean the call quality is like a cheap speaker phone, but this is a TAB!!! LoL

conchchowder

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I could afford the iPad2 but its just too **** big and I just don't care about 200k games. So I bought the GT (WiFi only) and had to reset to factory the next day. It has some quirks - maybe thats Froyo - but I have about 30 days to make sure its stable enough for me.

If Apple releases a 7" iPad, THAT will be a game changer ! IMHO

PLEASE tell me you returned it after you found out it has an inferior GPU and radio to the 3G models.

cimok

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have been used ab iphone 3gs for two years. Its nice but i hate apple store.
I bought galaxy tab 7 on 15/8/2011, as it has the correct size and it works for me.
I should consider to buy an ipad if it had 7' and without apple link

cirnee

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Miss M- I agree with what you and everyone else on here has said. I also bought mine for work and it is perfect for my job- I work for the railroad and I have it loaded with timetables, system instructions, subdivision orders, etc. The size of the tab is what attracted me the most to the Galaxy; it's as snug as a bug in rug when I put it in my pocket (yes, I wear bib overalls!) My only complaint or complaints, is I wish I would have done a little more research. I am with Verizon and I find it frustrating that my Droid X is more powerful and updated- maybe I should have went with the wifi model. So, that's the only fault I have and see with mine.

montecristo1

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I've read where some companies place paid reviewers to promote products on forums. Not saying this is one. But it sure was a lengthy. I am a novice reader of many tech forums and it never fails where someone has to point out how great an iPhone or ipad is better and list many points- like an ad. This depressed OP made me want to give her a full refund. I am a 100% satisfied owner of a Sprint Samsung Galaxy tab. My tab is rooted and highly customizable. I work for a non-profit and can say this tablet is business savvy, fast, and reliable. My kids love it too and can play games or watch movies. The battery last a decent 2 days of normal use like browsing, work and watching vids. The size is the first reason I bought it for. Able to put in my slack pants and walk to a meetings holding my briefcase and coffee is priceless. It's OS was the second reason. I love Froyo and at the moment have no intentions of upgrading. For me its fast and stable. I do plan to maybe try out bootmanager, an app that lets you boot up to 5 roms with different versions with its own profile and apps. Just my 2cents.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

Diemex

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Everytime I touch an iPad im first impressed by the smoothness and soforth. BUT after a few minutes already I notice how stupid and minimal the software is. When I think of the limitations of ios I just want to toss it in the next bin.

cmllr

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Funny, whenever I play with an iOS device I'm envious in the way that firmware updates are pushed out from Apple and don't have to be "customized" by their respective carriers. GB has been available on the 7" SGT for quite a while and if you ask Verizon you get an answer that ranges from "we have no idea what you are talking about" to "we are currently working with it and 'optimizing' it for our network".

acfs1982

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I have no regrets with my Galaxy Tab 7.0 (GT-P1000) which I bought last month and was now running on Gingerbread 2.3.

For me, it's got everything I need.

iPad, Kindle, Galaxy Tab...I don't really don't see any difference except for the price.

I mean why should I buy an expensive iPad when the Galaxy Tab has it?

Talk about surfing the internet, listening to music, watching videos, playing games, reading eBooks, creating and storing documents.

There's really no difference.

raymagini

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I bought this when it first came out in November of 2010. I have NEVER been disappointed with my purchase.

I have the cradle for my truck and use the GPS for getting around, the large screen is perfect and Google Navigation is free.

I use it at work to download and view manuals as well as a couple of calculators and unit conversion apps. It is instrumental for looking up information.

I use the RSS reader for keeping up to date with my various news feeds.

I fly often and use it to listen to music and view movies on the plane.

The office programs provide me with the ability to do quick word documents and spreadsheets as well as view power points.

All my emails are easily handled my choice of email client (K9).

I have never had it crash or give me any grief.

I waited a long time (7 months) for the Gingerbread update. I guess good things come to those who wait. LOL. Samsung is a little slow with their updates :-(.

When the new Galaxy Tab Plus comes out I will upgrade, but until then I am please to continue using this wonderful device.

guyjack

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
This thread has been healing. I remember when I got my Entourage Edge, I adored it but when I went Head-to-Toe against the main users: nuclear engineers and literal rocket scientists, I knew the Edge was a bit too much for my use. The 7" size is easy to use at a job site and so many strangers think that I'm using a Kindle that it has a low theft factor! (I guess that a Kindle is too low for even a thief to go!) LOL

LOL
I too had an Entourage Edge and while it was really nice to use, my MS made it hard to use the Dualbook for what I needed. I thought about getting the Entourage Pocket Edge, but decided against it since the Entourage company seemed to be ignoring it or not rolling out updates and, finally, discontinuing it all together.

I am REALLY happy that I bought my 7" Galaxy Tab. If Verizon comes out with the LTE version, then I will scheme and save to get it, especially if it comes loaded with ICS!

Guy

PS, What was your name in the Entourage Forums, if you don't mind my asking? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz