1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just wwent from Nook to GTab, disappointed...

I had a Nook color running latest CM7 nightly, very slick. But I was missing the lack of certain hardware, GPS, camera, microphone, etc and flash.
    so, I sold my Nook and got a sprint GTab. The hardware is nicer. But the OS is frustratingly sluggish.
    Apparently it is difficult to root the device as well, I also find the forum (here) to be pretty quiet, it doesn't look like there's much being done with the GTab?
    I really would like to reflash it to run CM7 and get rid of all the sprint branded crapware, maybe overclock it?

sorry, just venting i guess...

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    ROM
    TouchWiz/ ParanoidAndroid

Rooting is really easy actually all u need is to download z4 root and it does thefor you. Now as far as cyanongenmod...it is in the works. There is a beta version on xda. I agree the software is pretty buggy I hope that something new comes out for it soon

Not sluggish at all with

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    ROM

@whipstitch how you seen any roms for it?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I actually did get mine rooted yesterday, altho z4root wouldnt work, superoneclick did (after a bit of fiddling).

Now, just need cyanogenmod....

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    ROM

hmmm thats odd someone else just said that in a different page... but i swear i just used z4 yesterday and it worked. and i used it a week ago when i got my original tab and it worked then too... i don understand why it works for me and not for anyone else.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    ROM

+1 for cyanogenmod
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Fattie McDoogles View Post
    hmmm thats odd someone else just said that in a different page... but i swear i just used z4 yesterday and it worked. and i used it a week ago when i got my original tab and it worked then too... i don understand why it works for me and not for anyone else.
    Is yours a Sprint GTab? (SPH-P100)
    As I understand it they are different than other GTabs...

Quote Originally Posted by Fattie McDoogles View Post
    @whipstitch how you seen any roms for it?
    Boush has a rom to go with his kernel which is basically the stock rom with all the junk stripped out. I haven't tried it.

I see that XDA just split the GT Dev forums into CDMA and GSM which makes things simpler. Here's the . You'll find pretty much all the available roms in there.

I saw in the CM7 thread (in the GSM GT dev forum) that someone sucessfully got 3G working with CM7 on the VZW tab. Hopefully, we will have CM7 for the VZW/Sprint tab soon. There's someone else in that forum working on honeycomb. Lots more options for GSM tab owners as far as roms go.

Quote Originally Posted by whipstitch View Post
    Not sluggish at all with
    I see this is labeled for Verizon and Sprint. Will this work with a CDMA US Cellular Tab?
    A Dude

Global Posts
    897 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz / CM10

I am just about to make this same move, selling the NOOKcolor for a VZW Galaxy Tab... glad I found this thread. Although I am not running CM7 on my NOOK, only rooted 2.1

Thanks for the info.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Radamand View Post
    Is yours a Sprint GTab? (SPH-P100)
    As I understand it they are different than other GTabs...
    nope i have the verizon one.

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

I did the exact some thing. Had a Nook Color (rooted) and moved "up" to the Galaxy Tab (Verizon version without having the 3G activated).

I immediately noticed it was sluggish as well, especially on the browser.

So, I rooted it and played around with 2.3 and Honeycomb for a short time before going back to Froyo (it just works).

After completely cleaning off the unit and restoring Froyo on there from scratch, the unit runs super fast now, much like the Nook, but faster.

My suggestion; do a complete wipe and start from scratch.

Good Luck.

ROM
    Stockness

Im waiting on the wifi-only Tab before I decide to go with a Nook and run CM7. Is the Tab really that bad anyway?

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

I havent played with the nook but I take my tab everywhere and love the camera and GPS. I love everything about my tab.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by curney View Post
    I havent played with the nook but I take my tab everywhere and love the camera and GPS. I love everything about my tab.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
    +1 for me on that! I love my G-Tab!

You really should have a look into some of the custom roms and you will see the tab is much better.

Theres even a honeycomb port out i do believe.

Myself, I have the xoom but use Overcome rom on my tab when im doing some reading or playing games.

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I just ordered my Sprint GTab yesterday and can't wait for it to come in the mail! I wasn't sure if I wanted this or just get a NOOKcolor but I went for the GTab due to the speaker and camera.

I can't seem to find the OneClickRoot method for the GTab but I will find it!!
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa