Not entirely happy with Xoom

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
So I got the Xoom the other day from verizon and I am not too happy with it. It is laggy especially when typing and the apps are just not there yet. I was thinking of returning it and getting the galaxy tab on Wednesday. Is the galaxy tab a worthy replacement? I lobe the size of the tab and I like how it has the same capabilities as a phone without being able to make phone calls. Do the normal phone apps run and scale well on it? How is gaming?

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I have owned a Sprint Tab since January and have never looked back.

I thought about holding out for a Xoom but knew in messing with my mother's iPad that 10", regardless of aspect ratio is just too big for me. The Tab is a great size; its big enough to make a great ebook reader, web browser and movie player while being small enough that I can throw it in my back pocket if I need to quickly free up a hand. Its perfectly capable of playing every game I can throw at it. And although its not using Honeycomb, I dont have any problems with Froyo on it.

I have seen a few apps not scale to the bigger screen, such as Mint.com's app, but its extremely rare and the same apps have the problem on my father's Xoom.

Sure, the dual core xoom may be technically better than the tab but I find functionality more important than raw power in a tablet. If I want raw power, I will use my desktop computer. My tablet fits my life style perfectly and I never leave home without it, anywhere. There is a host of applications I use every single day that greatly benefit from the 7" screen. And the nice thing is I can hold the device in one or two hands and not feel that its awkward at all, unlike the Xoom or iPad.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to what you want to do on your tablet and where you'll be doing it at. I love gaming (SNES Emulator and Pocket Legends particularly), browsing the web and reading ebooks pretty much anywhere I want. For those things, I would hate to have to use a bigger device due to awkward ways one would hold it. But if you are looking for a full notebook replacement, like my father is, the xoom is slightly better (though I dont think any tablet is to that point yet).

My wife loved my tab so much, she wanted one but instead went with the Nook Color, which I recently put Honeycomb on for her. She loves that and we both use them every day. I would have gotten her the Tab Wifi but we got her nook before I was aware the wifi Tab was coming out.

Every time someone asks for my opinion on the tablet to buy, I say look at the Galaxy Tab first and last. Its a great device for a good price (the wifi only one anyway) that is nearly as capable as any other tablet out there. I for one have no regrets about mine.

I just typed this whole thing on my Tab without having to put it down to type or lift my hands off the device; lets see a Xoon or iPad do that.

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
go play it at bestbuy and decide for yourself

For me, size is what makes galaxy tab perfect. it can go to places xoom will never be able to, therefore I use it in a lot more places. And its 1024x600 resolution makes most webpage and pdf easy to read without panning left and right.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I've used one at Best Buy and I really liked the size and how I could type with my thumbs with no problem. I can't do that with my iPad or Xoom. It seemed to be more portable than either and overall I do not have a problem with Touchwiz. I'm just trying now to decide to get this or wait for the HTC Flyer.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I was very impressed with HTC flyer as it seems to have better specs than the galaxy tab, 1.5GHz CPU, 1G RAM, HSPA.

Then I saw the battery life to be 4 hours video playback, which is in contrast to the 6 hrs of galaxy tab.

I think android is a light weight system and the increased speed can not compensate the 30% short of battery life.

If the data is correct, I would prefer galaxy tab in this case.

faith4more

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a xoom and returned it. I like honeycomb all though it does need some work it is an excellent os and bodes well for the future of tablets.

My main problem though was its weight. I wanted to like it so bad but it is really heavy. I found I just did not enjoy holding the device got very tiresome within 10 minutes. Of course you could prop against your legs but at that point may as well get a laptop.

So I put aside my need to have honeycomb right now and took a look at how I use a tablet. Primarily for reading with some video.

The galaxy tab is perfect for reading and great for video. Although I would like a honeycomb device froyo will do the same things just not quite as elegantly. But from a functional perspective you really do not loose anything.

So to me the tab is a much more portable functional device that I will use much more than a Xoom and on top of that at $350 the price is right. I love the fact I can hold hold it comfortably in one hand. As far as Honeycomb goes even if Samsung does not update to it I bet we get a ROM eventually. I know there is one being worked on now although not finished.

Also unless you are going to use an external keyboard the galaxy tab is also much easier to type on than Xoom or ipad as I have owned both. This essentially makes it a more productive device even with the smaller screen. Although I don't care how good these tablets get they will always be primarily a consumption device apart from sending emails and a few other tasks. Of course with external keyboard you get a more productive laptop experience but even that is limited compared to software you can run on a laptop. When I got the ipad 1 I had grand visions of it becoming my only computer, but soon found I used it to read and watch video maybe a game from time to time. So in real world usage I can't justify paying $700 to $800 for a big tab that is less portable and does nothing more.

I am sold on the Galaxy tab.

Last edited:

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Exactly! I find the Xoom to be heavy and tire of holding it with one hand quickly. My main functions for a tablet are email, web browsing and youtube. I like to also browse the web while I am watching tv and the Xoom and iPad are just too big do that comfortably with one hand. I think I have pretty much sold myself on the Galaxy Tab along with reading everyone's comments. One more question. How is youtube on the Galaxy Tab? I have had issues with it on the Xoom and iPad.

Reactions: verno329

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Reading all these comments made me happy that I decided to pass up on the Xoom and went for the GTab.

kagenish

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
yeah i'm happy that i pass up the Xoom and i'll be getting the Galaxy Tab soon. i even think that the next Galaxy Tab are coming out in June are going to be better then the Xoom.

faith4more

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! I find the Xoom to be heavy and tire of holding it with one hand quickly. My main functions for a tablet are email, web browsing and youtube. I like to also browse the web while I am watching tv and the Xoom and iPad are just too big do that comfortably with one hand. I think I have pretty much sold myself on the Galaxy Tab along with reading everyone's comments. One more question. How is youtube on the Galaxy Tab? I have had issues with it on the Xoom and iPad.

I even got tired of holding xoom with two hands. It really is a brick.

verno329

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
All these reasons are why I decided to enter the Android world with a Galaxy Tab. The one handed use, the easier typing for emails in portrait mode, the web browsing and some video use will be my main uses. The Tab seems like it fit all of those needs perfectly. Now to introduce myself to Android and find some apps I like.

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
My concern with the Tab is that it is pretty clear that it is a dead-ended product - that Samsung will never even get around to updating for Gingerbread much less Honeycomb (which arguably is unnecessary, but might be nice). Samsung's focus is going to be on the two new tablets and their successors, not the Galaxy Tab. Over some time period, there will be more and more apps that won't run on the Galaxy Tab. It's a shame because it is a nice platform, although pricey for its size (either $edit: 350450 for WiFi only or $440 for 3G [= $200+$240 min contract @ VZW]).

Last edited:

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
My concern with the Tab is that it is pretty clear that it is a dead-ended product - that Samsung will never even get around to updating for Gingerbread much less Honeycomb (which arguably is unnecessary, but might be nice). Samsung's focus is going to be on the two new tablets and their successors, not the Galaxy Tab. Over some time period, there will be more and more apps that won't run on the Galaxy Tab. It's a shame because it is a nice platform, although pricey for its size (either $450 for WiFi only or $440 for 3G [= $200+$240 min contract @ VZW]).

The WiFi only model is $350

faith4more

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My concern with the Tab is that it is pretty clear that it is a dead-ended product - that Samsung will never even get around to updating for Gingerbread much less Honeycomb (which arguably is unnecessary, but might be nice). Samsung's focus is going to be on the two new tablets and their successors, not the Galaxy Tab. Over some time period, there will be more and more apps that won't run on the Galaxy Tab. It's a shame because it is a nice platform, although pricey for its size (either $450 for WiFi only or $440 for 3G [= $200+$240 min contract @ VZW]).

As long as there are android phones there will be plenty of apps that run on the tab. At this point many more apps run "well" on galaxy tab than do Honeycomb Xoom. I have no doubt plenty of Honeycomb Apps coming.

My hope I the Samsung at least updates to gingerbread. But even if they don't the developers will get us there with custom ROMS.

For me it came down to function. Even though I am sure some really great honeycomb apps will be forth coming. Essentially you can do same thing on tab just maybe not as elegantly. I can consume same content. So this is a good step while honeycomb matures and more apps come out. In a year I will take another look at the market and see what devices are out and by only spending $350 leaves my options open. I have determined I want the 7 inch form factor no matter what the OS.

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
My concern with the Tab is that it is pretty clear that it is a dead-ended product - that Samsung will never even get around to updating for Gingerbread much less Honeycomb (which arguably is unnecessary, but might be nice). Samsung's focus is going to be on the two new tablets and their successors, not the Galaxy Tab. Over some time period, there will be more and more apps that won't run on the Galaxy Tab. It's a shame because it is a nice platform, although pricey for its size (either $edit: 350450 for WiFi only or $440 for 3G [= $200+$240 min contract @ VZW]).

there are much more android phones than honeycomb tablets. there won't be shortage of apps for a looooong time to come.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Well I returned my Xoom today and got the tab from Verizon. All I can say is I love this device. I'm typing on it right now. I didn't like Touchwiz and installed LauncherPro and I couldn't be happier. It is like a bigger version of my android phone. Love it!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Well I returned my Xoom today and got the tab from Verizon. All I can say is I love this device. I'm typing on it right now. I didn't like Touchwiz and installed LauncherPro and I couldn't be happier. It is like a bigger version of my android phone. Love it!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

For the life of me I can't pull up LauncherPro or ADWLauncher in the market!! I tried searching and all I got was ADW themes :(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante