Can't Decide What to Do

mk07

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
At first, I was planning on getting the wifi galaxy tab. After finding out that the gpu and bt is not the same as the 3g versions, I'm not sure if I want to get that.

I know the att version is one of the better 3g ones but that is 550 with no contract. I can get a no contract Sprint version for 385.

I plan on using it for wifi only. Which would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
My personal advice to both of you is to call your local best buy. Ask if they have any "open item" galaxy tabs. Since they aren't a Verizon branch they won't force you into a contract. They carry Sprint and verizon Gtabs. I was able to get mine (vzw model) for $385. No contract. I also have the capability to add the data plan if I want to later on. I primarily use it on WiFi though

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap

Reactions: androidph

androidph

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My personal advice to both of you is to call your local best buy. Ask if they have any "open item" galaxy tabs. Since they aren't a Verizon branch they won't force you into a contract. They carry Sprint and verizon Gtabs. I was able to get mine (vzw model) for $385. No contract. I also have the capability to add the data plan if I want to later on. I primarily use it on WiFi though

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap

are open items not that bad?! I mean, they mustve returned it for reasons future buyers wont know right?

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
are open items not that bad?! I mean, they mustve returned it for reasons future buyers wont know right?

There's nothing wrong with mine at all. Open items are exactly like new items. They are warrantied by bestbuy just like a new one. If there is something wrong with it...take it back and get one that works.

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap

Reactions: androidph

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I would personally get the att version. Att and tmo versions allow you to use bluetooth keyboard. Vzw and sprint dont. However, there is a $80 keyboard that will work with vzw and sprint. Also, gsm versions (att, tmo) have more custom roms than cdma.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I would personally get the att version. Att and tmo versions allow you to use bluetooth keyboard. Vzw and sprint dont. However, there is a $80 keyboard that will work with vzw and sprint. Also, gsm versions (att, tmo) have more custom roms than cdma.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the accessories but I can say that there aren't many cdma roms available at all. I'm running stock just rooted for now. Waiting on a stable honeycomb build

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap

mk07

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If it wasn't for the new tablets that are coming up, I would be fine with buying the att version for 550.

I usually avoid cdma phones cuz of the rom supports. Because I can get the Sprint version for 165 less than the att one, it seems more appealing.

Or maybe I should just wait for one of the newer tablets coming out.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I hear ya. I just really love the size of the tab. It's not clumsy like my iPad. But its my personal opinion. I'm glad I picked one up

TboltMeatclaws-talkatap

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
First, where is this info about the WIFI version having different hardware? I've seen people say this but have yet to see a link?

Second, the VZW one does have working BT for peripherals now with the latest EC02 update.

Third, the GSM ones do have more developer support so I'd go that route if you're considering custom ROMs, etc. This may change though who knows.

hkklife

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have been researching this topic heavily lately and came to the following conclusions from various forums (mostly XDA):

-Wi-fi GT has a weaker GPU and a slightly weaker (or at least just different) CPU. Supposedly it struggles to play back 720p videos and cannot handle 1080p videos at all.
-Wi-Fi GT has Bluetooth 2.1, the 3G versions have BT 3.0.
-Wi-Fi GT may not enjoy the same community/ROM/developer support the 3G versions have had

XDA comment here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=12990116&postcount=12

Overall, I would have gone for a wi-fi version if it came in black (hate the white back) and was $50ish less. Otherwise, you are better off buying something like a Verizon version on a month-to-month plan for $80 more than the wi-fi version. Or get a GSM version to enjoy more ROM possibilities and the internal 16GB vs. 2GB on the CDMA versions.

P.S. I love the GT formfactor. The HTC Flyer might be appealing but otherwise, every new tablet I've seen is too big and/or thick and heavy for one-handed use (primarily multimedia, web browsing and e-books). I replaced a Nook Color with the GT, for what it's worth.

I've love to see a refreshed 7" GT with a standard micro-USB & micro or mini HDMI connectors, thinner body, at least a 1.2Ghz CPU, and Gingerbread (if not Honeycomb).

Last edited:

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Just get a tab from tmo on contract for 149 and cancel the contract for 199. That's 350. You just have to asked for the $150 price. Its $199 normally but if you ask the right person they will hook it up. Its GSM and has 16gb internal and room for another 16gb card.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk