1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Default Sync Galaxy Tab contacts with Yahoo contacts?

I recently purchased the WiFi-only Galaxy Tab. Although I researched it before buying, I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to sync my Yahoo mail contacts with the Tab, and so far I haven't found a way to do this.

I also have an iPhone, and what I'm trying to do is have a single contact store that I can access from the web (or desktop app), iPhone, and Tab. The iPhone will happily sync contacts (via iTunes) with Yahoo, Google, and others, but the Tab seems partial to Google (no surprise there). For a number of reasons, I can't switch from Yahoo to Google mail, so that's not an option for me. I know I can export contacts from one and import to the other, but that's not good enough.

I've searched this forum and a number of others, and apparently there's a Yahoo Mail app that does allow you to sync Yahoo contacts with Android devices. Unfortunately, that app does not support the Tab, at least not the WiFi only version that I have. There's a different Yahoo app (not Yahoo Mail) that does run on my Tab, but it doesn't let you sync contacts. It does give you a Tab-friendly UI for accessing your Yahoo mail (and contacts) online, but it's much slower than the native mail app since it's not downloading anything.

By the way, I chose the Tab over an iPad because of the size -- the iPad (and the new Galaxy Tabs) are too big for my needs. I also though it would be good to get some exposure to Android, but if there was a 7" iPad, I probably would have gone with that instead.

Any suggestions? I'd consider third-party apps to make this work, if they're reliable.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Thumbs up Figured it out

I figured out how to sync my Tab's contacts with Yahoo contacts, but it's a bit convoluted.

The key was the Address Book application on my Mac, which supports syncing with Yahoo contacts, Google contacts, or both. I was already using Address Book to sync contacts with my iPhone (via iTunes), but my Yahoo contacts were separate.

Here's what I did:

1. Synced the Address Book with Yahoo contacts to merge those.

2. Manually cleaned up the merged contacts in Address Book, then synced again.

3. Synced the Address Book with Google contacts (in addition to Yahoo contacts). Since I don't use gmail, I didn't have any existing Google contacts.

4. Verified that the contacts were now in Google.

5. Synced contacts for the Google account on my Tab.

I now have all my contacts on the Tab, in Address Book, Yahoo, Google, and on my iPhone. If I make any changes, I just need to sync the Address Book again. It was actually pretty painless.